Giving Enterprise another chance

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by JirinPanthosa, Dec 30, 2012.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I quit Enterprise near the start of season 3. I thought seasons 1 and 2 were generally mediocre with a handful of utter atrocities like the 'Teaching the village to defend itself from Klingons' episode or the one where they pulled the prime directive out of their butts and used it as an excuse not to treat a plague. The last straw for me was when Phlox prescriped Trip erotic vulcan massages to cure his headaches and they led to a makeout session.

But, this board has convinced me to give it another chance, so I'm starting fresh from the start of season 3.

It's not as bad as I remember so far but still has nothing much to hook me. Some of the story ideas are good, but the dialog is aggressively on the nose all the time. "You won't torture me captain. You're too moral!" Yeah, that's true, he can't torture you because he's too moral. But *please* find a more interesting way to say it!

But nothing to drive me off yet, so I'll keep watching for now.

2. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

Looking forward to more of your impressions!

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I stopped watching midway through season 2 when it aired. I finally did rewatch it all on Netflix when they offered it. Season 3 had some interesting ideas, though they really drug the thing out too much.

Season 4(with the very large exception of the pilot and finale) was in large pretty good.

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Season 4 I found to be he best of the show---although I found the stand-alone episodes of the season to be the real clunkers.

5. JirinPanthosa

To elaborate on my point about on the nose writing, here's a similar scene from the Stargate episode 'Serpent's Song'.

DANIEL
    If you don't tell me where she is. I'll kill you right here.

APOPHIS
    You have neither the strength nor the will.

Apophis just told Daniel: "You won't kill me. You're too moral." But it was way more interesting than if he had said "You won't kill me. You're too moral."

6. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I don't want to spoil anything for you so I will just say that that scene and that line of dialog in particular are worth remembering.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

OH excellent, looking fwd to someone diving right into season 3!

You'll probably hate a bunch of stuff :lol:

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was watching Trek more out of habit than enojyment until season 3. It got me loving Trek again! The timeline's gone wrong!* Anything can happen! There are no rules! Darker and edgier! Characters actually developing character!

*but by what we see in season 4, it turns out this frakking actually creates the TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY timeline rather than veers away from it.

9. JirinPanthosa

Why is Enterprise so obsessed with titillating the audience?

I mean, every Star Trek series has its share of sex appeal for sex appeal's sake, but Enterprise takes it into the next dimension. Trip can't sleep so Phlox asks T'Pol to give him Vulcan treatments. The first thing she does to get Trip to agree to it is take off her shirt (Not wearing a bra) and ask him to rub her, to which she reacts in a pleasurable way. At the end of the meeting she says "Are you implying I'm making sexual advances?"

Then they meet this slave woman who wants to get biological scans of them. She achives this by making blatant sexual overtures toward every member of the crew, including the female ones.

I know they were pretty desperate for ratings by that time, but god damn. Seven of Nine had a skin tight suit but that didn't even come close.

10. teacake

No one ever rubbed Seven of Nine :(

11. R. Star

Seriously, not putting Seven in a decon chamber was a missed opportunity for the Doctor... and the fans. :p

12. teacake

"This application of the gel is inefficient. Let me remove my shirt."

13. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

It's not a coincidence that of the 4 modern Trek shows that the 2 on UPN had the most problems. Network interference is a bitch.

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

You're talkin' "Rajiin" - I started a complaint thread on that one a few months ago...

15. teacake

All of it still better than pineapple cake.

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

For muscling through ENT, I find Richard Whettestone's reviews a vital aid.

17. teacake

Huh. All this time and I never knew that Blalock had an outie.

18. JirinPanthosa

I'll give Enterprise one thing. At least the characters remember what happened to them last week. "Of course you have skin irritation, you were transformed into a different species last week!" That's all I asked, Voyager.

If only a few of the actors had stage presence.

19. R. Star

I'll agree with this. Continuity within the whole Trek universe may have often been ignored, but I did love the fact that if the Enterrpise was shot up last week, it still had holes and dents and what not in it the next ep.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Some really good stuff in Enterprise but, much like Voyager, there is just way too many shit episodes to wade through...