Spoilers TF: Revelation and Dust by DRGIII Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Aug 18, 2013.

?

Rate Revelation and Dust.

1. Outstanding

30 vote(s)
    23.6%
  2. Above Average

49 vote(s)
    38.6%
  3. Average

30 vote(s)
    23.6%
  4. Below Average

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Poor

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

All very true. I really enjoyed TMP from the beginning. Both the movie and the novel. The only thing I did not like was the uniforms in that movie.

2. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Just picked up my copy at Coles.

3. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

This is exactly what I meant.

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I wonder if Simon & Schuster are just planning to leave the DS9 brand for future books that are set just within the TV series, while the current post-TV series books will be released under umbrella titles. Since it looks like, aside from TOS, Voyager and Enterprise (which, with Christopher's new book really can't be called Enterprise because of something MIA), the recent TNG and DS9 novels seem to have been marketed under these "umbrella" titles due to better sales than when the series name is used.

Plus it seems like the editor's enjoy teaming Picard and Dax up right now in the books, rather than having Dax team up with the current DS9 group. So, as a series title, DS9 is kind of a non sequitur when the DS9 crew is so spread out and rarely appears together.

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

About 80-90 pages in. Really digging it sofar, but you can tell the story is still gathering momentum. Curious to see where all of this is going.

6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Finished the whole thing.

Still digesting it, and waiting for a few others to catch up before I comment.

7. Mage

I voted outstanding.

I know what you mean though. It takes a while to catch momentum, then things just get......WTF.....for a while. Then, things settle. Then....BOOM!!! Three pages later.....BOOM!!!! And the book is done.

I'll post more when I, like DEWLine, process everything.

I need to catch my breath.

8. Mimi

Mimi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It certainly sounds interesting so far! Can't wait until the ebook is released.

9. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

In the prologue anyone notice a mistake? Like the name of Sisko's ship?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  10. RTOlson

RTOlson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished it tonight. I thought it was enjoyable. The first thing that comes to mind about the key development is:

I can't imagine any intergalactic leader _ever_ wanting to take part in an event at DS9 again. The station (old and new) may be a little cursed after the events in "Mission: Gamma" and now this tome. (Edit: Oh and during the endgame of the Dominion War.)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  11. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Something I just said in my Livejournal that I suspect RTOlson will agree with...

One thing reaffirmed: Deep Space Nine is the place where bad things go to make sure that they happen to good people.

12. Mage

I think that it's obvious after reading this novel it was defo a setup to more. However, after reading what the next two books are about, I can't help but wonder that atleast some of the issues won't be adressed in those two, and with the fourth novel being a Titan novel, I doubt that one will deal with some of the setups from R&D. So perhaps Peaceable Kingdoms then, otherwise it will be a looooooong wait. ;)

Other then that, I suppose all I can really say is, for me personally, DRGIII did it again!!

13. sportzkid

sportzkid Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am getting my copy from amazon.com tomorrow. I will actually be able to read this typhon pact book right when it comes out since I am all caught up on the series. First time in several books that I have been able to do that. Also means that I can likely participate in this thread in a timely manner given that fact.

14. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could only go with average I'm afraid and it might have been less until the twists (well the Prophet related twists anyway - the other one wasn't a shock) at the end.

Couldn't get anywhere with the orb experience Kira story - maybe depending on the ending it might get some value in retrospect but it was a fairly standard, generic even, story of resistance to opression and having read a few better written books lately which touched upon local resistance movements during the second world war this was just too bland for me to care.

The DS9 story just felt a bit too familiar - big event happening and a lot of character work leading up to the latest disaster. The last books had the same structure and all this did was make the DS9 crew look fairly incompetent.

It was great to see more catch up with the DS9 characters particularly Ro but the new command staff are still essentially blank slates and others are somewhat out of focus - what's going on with Nog - does he have a girlfriend or life of any kind, does he resent being under O'Brien again given his rank, anything would be nice. Also Sarina Douglas is still a complete personality black hole - she's no longer the super woman plot device she was in Zero Sum Game but it's been replaced with nothing.

As a lot of this seemed to be set up for the rest of the series so maybe I'll think better of this when we see how everything plays out but at the moment this was a real disappointment.

15. Ben Maxwell

Ben Maxwell Ensign

This a problem i have with drg iii. He spends an entire chapter of Kira just watching Emissary. and its the boring part of Emissary, its every single Sisko in the wormhole scene.

He did the same thing with his Crucible Trilogy, especially the Spock one, where he just copied and pasted the City on the Edge of forever transcript to the page.

No wonder his books are so freakin' long.

Enjoying it so far though.

16. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

17. Mimi

Mimi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"It has been a fascinating journey, although readers have yet to witness all the steps she’s taken, since a period of time—roughly 2377 through 2380—has thus far gone undocumented in the DS9 novels. If the books continue to sell well, though, there is every chance that at least some of those developments will be explored in more detail somewhere down the road."

My emotions! I really hope this series sells well then.

18. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I'm enjoying it so far; but (as someone posted above), Kira watching Sisko's experiences from "Emissary" seemed pointless, probably only there to mark ST:DS9's 20th Anniversary.

That said, those original Sisko/Prophets scenes in "Emissary" are pretty inspired, given how hard it must have been for Michael Piller to write scenes where the aliens don't understand the concept of time.

19. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree 100%

20. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I started on Tuesday morning after it was delivered to my kindle & got through two chapters, last night I stayed up till 4am to finish it off. Really enjoyed it, going to hit it again tonight.

I was sort of expecting the shooter to be Douglas or Blackmer, had the feeling Bacco was in for something. Still think Douglas' 'friends' in Sec 31 are involved. Now wondering what is going to happen next with Kira.