TV version of Wrath of Khan available?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by gastrof, Aug 27, 2011.

1. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The special version of Star Trek II that ran on the American ABC network years and years ago, did it EVER end up on home video in ANY country?

And if not...and the mods can flail me if this is out of line...does anyone have a copy they'd be willing to share? (I used to have one, but think "flood" and "house fire" and you'll just about have my story.)

2. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

You mean the one with the added scenes where they say that Peter Preston is Scotty's nephew? Yeah, I have the DVD release that has that version. It has been released. The Directpr's cut, I think it is.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No, but Meyer did use most the bonus footage in his DVD Director's Edition. The only missing things are alternate takes, for example, the TV premiere switched the Saavik/Kirk elevator scene for a series of alternating one-shot close-ups on their faces, giving the impression that Saavik and Kirk are flirting with each other.

4. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I downloaded the ABC cut a few years ago, but I don't remember from where.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

I think I'm probably in the minority as I MUCH prefer the theatrical version of this classic film. I was gratified it chosen for release on Blu-ray, colour timing issues aside.

6. Tiberius

Is that version of the scene available on Youtube? I'd love to see it.

7. Oso Blanco

8. Tiberius

Thank you!

9. ATMachine

ATMachine Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oh, cool! I'd always wanted to see this version of the scene, since it was pretty much the only thing from the 1980s ABC TV version that wasn't included in the Director's Edition of TWOK.

Now that I've seen it, I can appreciate why the theatrical take remained in the film. The TV version really does work better for a 4:3 TV screen aspect ratio, but the standard version makes better use of the widescreen format.

10. Tiberius

I was thinking the same thing when I was watching it. I prefer the two shot verion though, rather than the close ups.

11. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

13. darth_ender

darth_ender Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have both the theatrical and director's cuts of this film. This has probably been discussed quite a bit, but since I'm new (and probably no where near as close to being as well versed in Trek as most folks here), I'm a little unclear. Is the only difference between the ABC broadcast and the director's cut the turbolift scene, or are there other differences as well, regardless of how subtle?

14. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Well obviously the ABCTV version is pan and scanned--which in itself is an entirely diiferent experince, but

The only other diffenence between the two besides the turbo-lift alternate takes are during the simulator scene where there is an additional line of dialogue from the computer voice describing the Kobiyashi Maru.

I forget what the additional line is, but back in the day i compared the ABCTV version to my VHS copy and there is one line of dialogue after the computer says "....third class neutronic fuel carrier, crew of ...'

there is a follow-up line.

But that's all I've ever heard or noticed as far as being different from the Director's Cut version.

15. darth_ender

darth_ender Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Thanks :) Now I just need to figure out a way to get ahold of it. It sounds like an interesting experience to me, quite truthfully.

16. Oso Blanco

I downloaded the ABCTV version seven years ago, but I don't remember where.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

We all heard you the first time! :p

18. Oso Blanco

:guffaw:

Oh, common ... the first post is almost two years old, I honestly didn't remember it! I didn't even realise that this thread was that old!

19. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Epic bump!

I kind of like the TV cut of the lift scene. The widescreen version is probably more subtle, as Shatner is over-egging it a bit here, but it's cool to see.

Was the Saavik-David stuff ever included in the TV cut? Has it ever been properly released, along with the infamous "captain Sulu" line, and confirmation Saavik is half-Romulan?

TWOK really needs a proper restoration, with seamless branching for the Director's Cut, and a full deleted scenes package. Get on it Paramount, you cheapskates.

20. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

+1

And no, none of the David/Saavik stuff or the Sulu promotion ever made it to any released cut of the movie.

A little of two deleted made it into that Showest trailer and then onto youtube.