Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, May 19, 2009.

?

Grade "Terminator Salvation"

1. "I'll be back!" (Excellent)

31 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. "Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average)

61 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. "Thank you for explaining." (Average)

50 vote(s)
    26.6%
  4. "If we stay this course we are dead! We are all dead!" (Below Average)

26 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. "You are TERMINATED." (Poor)

20 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I believe the original version of the script had Skynet not knowing the importance of Kyle Reese.

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The Terminatrix downloaded information into Skynet during her actions at CRS.

3. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I called it average. It was... well... it was loud. Definately loud. ;)

My first Terminator movie. Not a bad movie, but the only reason I saw it more than once was because I was too tired to get it at the midnight showing that a friend took me too. I may pick it up when it comes out, but I won't revisit it before then. The main cast did a pretty good job. The action overall was pretty good, though some of the story was kinda questionable. They really shouldn't have advertised that Marcus was a Terminator. Definately took some of the impact out of the revelation. Of course, one would have to not be paying attention if they didn't guess he was a Terminator before the revelation anyways. The one thing I really, really liked about this was that the T-600's were real units (or looked damn real), and I thought that was neat. CGI lets movie makers do neat things, but it's always fun to see something done practically and look cool.

Overall, a decent pop-corn flick, but it just wasn't a movie that I could get into all that much.

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

5. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

That was footage from the original trilogy spliced in!?! Wow, I never would've known!

:rolleyes: Idiots.

6. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grad <Spoilers>

I thought it was pure CGI

7. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I'll admit that it's often hard to satisfy people with their own preconceptions of what something should be. I believe it was Robert Zemeckis who said that, after seeing a movie, everyone either consciously or subconsciously writes their own sequel in their head and it's rare that it will conform with the sequel that's actually made. But even then, the production design and overall vibe of the future of Terminator Salvation in no way resembles what James Cameron created with the future flashbacks in The Terminator & T2, nor with what Jonathan Mostow aped for the prologue of T3.

I too wonder how many Terminator films his daughter has actually seen. The other 3 are all rated R and The Terminator (the best of the bunch, IMO) is VERY R.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ The daughter who told him it was the best just graduated (they didn't say if it was college or high school though).

9. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grad <Spoilers>

The body is real - played by Roland Kickinger who is credited as T-800 in the credits - but the face was CGIed from images of Arnold from 1984 including shots of him in The Terminator and other films of that year.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

"Kids say things" they also tend to be a bit... over-exuberant in declarations of this nature.

Saying that it's the "best Terminator movie ever" is really just an adrenaline-high speak for "the best Terminator movie I've seen in the last couple hours."

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Good point.

12. Trekker4747

Similarly, Presidential candidate's wives suffer from the same problem. ;)

Hell all humans do to a degree.

13. dkehler

dkehler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Having the robot and HK sneak up on them in the gas station, to me, is a more forgivable sin then having a bad guy disappear for 25 years JUST BECAUSE and/or using the transporter to beam someone onto a moving ship many millions of miles away, unbelievably surpassing everything that the device is supposedly capable of from what we have ever seen. I also was pleasantly surprised that I could actually see most of what was going on in the action scenes in Terminator Salvation.

So yes, count me as one of the few who liked Terminator Salvation better than Star Trek 2009, although not by a huge margin.

14. Trekker4747

So... violation of basic physical science pisses you off less than the violation of fictional science on a fictional device that's never been treated consistantly?

Interesting.

:wtf:

15. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure which I preferred more.

16. dkehler

dkehler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, when you put it that way ...

Seriously, the sneaking up thing never occurred to me when I was watching the movie, unlike in Star Trek, where these incredible take you out of the movie WTF moments just kept on coming. And yes, Terminator Salvation had a couple of those as well, but in my opinion, they were fewer and more forgivable.

I mean, think of the ramifications of the transporter being capable of doing such a thing? It just about makes starship travel obsolete. I guess it will need to be forgotten about, much like the telekinesis potions from Plato's Stepchildren. I just hate that kind of thing.

17. Tim

Tim Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that whole "transwarp beaming" thing was pure garbage. Nimoy was able to sell it to a certain degree, but even he could escape from that example of bad writing. Still, it wasn't as bad as Kirk's promotion from cadet to captain inside of a week. That was laughable.

I too enjoyed T:S somewhat more than Star Trek. The former was average, and the latter below average, for me.

18. Trekker4747

It was "transwarp beaming" a rare thing that wasn't fleshed out yet. We could argue that Scotty didn't even achieve it until AFTER he was brought back on the Jenolan by the Enterprise-D because it was that complex that he spent a lifetime working on it. Spock happened to know how to achieve it earlier.

Or Scotty DID finish it but it was decided that the process was too risky -much like the experimental "folded-space transport" seen in TNG's "The High Ground" or the "subspace transporter" seen in "Blodlines." Both of which were deemed too risky for general use.

There.

Solved.

19. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Kirk wasn't actually just a Cadet. I read somewhere that the character had the rank of Lieutenant just like Spock was a full Commander.

Their long distance beaming was established as possible in Star Trek TNG, but it was rarely used due to the power cost. It was in the episode where Picard's "son" was kidnapped by the Ferengi.

20. Trekker4747

Beat ya too it.

;)