Re-Imagined K'tinga/D7

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by REL, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey, I was just trying to keep the young'uns in this thread from feeling lost... :guffaw:

Oddly, I suddenly have an inexplicable urge to go listen to a 20-minute Iron Butterfly drum solo, though...

2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

What color was the D-7 in "Trials and Tribble-ations" [DS9] painted?

--Alex

3. Gavn

Gavn Guest

I like this better than the original. The neck on the original I thought was far too skinny to serve any real function other than a big hallway. This is much more functional looking imo.

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Clearly a follow on after K'Teremny.

Best Fan made Klingon model design yet

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^I just looked that up. Ick.

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

This one is definitely better than K'Teremny. I was never a big fan of it either, particularly since it looked like someone squashed a K'T'inga between two doomsday planet killers. Although I do see inspiration in some of the lines on this ship.

7. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno... having seen a fully-3D version of the K'Teremmy, I've always thought it looked pretty slick. Similar enough to be a family, but different enough to serve a unique role.

The first time I saw the K'Teremny was in the "magazine" called "Starship Design." I know it's not available for sale anymore, but a quick web search turned this up...

http://www.4shared.com/file/140738542/546cbeed/Starship_Design_magazine__2280_.html

This was published back in 1987 by Todd Guenther. As far as I know, this is the original source of the K'Teremny. There's some "fun" background info on that ship here. There's also quite a bit of other info on other ships.

Realize that this is the material which was coming out shortly after TWOK had been released... there was no TNG, or anything else... ONLY TOS and the first couple of TOS-related flicks.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Interesting. Never seen a CG render of the K'Teremmy. I guess it's possible that it could look better as a fully realized vehicle in real space than a flat 5-view ortho.

9. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've always had a soft spot for the K'teremny. I'm with Cary, in that I've always liked it's sleek, lower profile. Sort of like a sportier version of the K'tinga, or the performance model for the Klingon fleet. And the fact that it has more disruptor turrets than the K'tinga certainly gives it a cool factor, considering that I like lotsa gunz, if that makes any sense.

The only thing I don't like about it is the way those nacelles are mounted. I think that they would have looked better mounted to the side of the wings, instead of below. It looks kinda odd from the top profile.

And you can see the rest of those blueprints Cary linked to over here, with greater apparent ease.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

11. REL

REL Commander Red Shirt

I'm working on the ortho views and schematics now.

[​IMG]

12. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

You're the best! :D

--Alex

13. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great looking forward to seeing the schematics great work on the model by the way :techman::techman::techman::techman:

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

If there are Klingons in the next movie J.J. seriously needs to hire you.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Seconded. Great drawings.

16. Maurice

Sorry to bump this, but some posts back there was some back and forth over the actual color of the Klingon Battlecruiser model on TOS. I today again stumbled across a behind-the-scenes photo of the model on the shooting stage (taken from this site).

[​IMG]

To my eye there are three colors on this model. A pale purple/lavender color, a darker purplish color on the upper surfaces, and a lighter color on the underbelly.

EDIT BECAUSE TREKBBS CLOSED FOR MAINTENANCE BEFORE I COULD FINISH THE POST

I took the image above and pumped the saturation and noticed right off there is a light greenish color on the inboard side of the nacelle and its supporting strut, and appears to be a tinge of it on the underside of the forward hull. This could either be lighting or an airbrushed greenish cast applied to the "belly" of the model. Could this be lighting? Maybe, but it's coming from an odd direction to apply as much green as it does to surfaces otherwise in shadow. In fact, you'd have to use the palest gel imaginable on a very low watt light to get such a subtle effect, and probably even bounce it off a card to get it to be so soft.

[​IMG]

Then there's this picture of Jefferies with one of the models in which it's pretty darned apparent that the upper fuselage of the bulk of the ship is painted a darker shade than the forward 3/4 of the neck and the forward hull. The nacelles are also clearly a lighter shade. This isn't lighting, it's paint. The question remains, is it chromatic paint or achromatic?

[​IMG]

None of this is conclusive, but are interesting data points nevertheless.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ The purple color in that photo could be due to lighting.

I always thought it was more of a straight gray.

18. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

It's just lighting, dude... Grey with lighting.

This ship is actually toyota blue. But the lighting here is making it greenish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I've got a few others taken under red and green lighting, but I can't find them. Somewhere in the forum here.

Ah- here they are. So the above was under a mix of tungsten and white light.

The bellow is a mix of green, blue, and white lighting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Maurice

I'm merely putting data points out there, and ones that in this case happen to reflect the article quoted above. I did say the color could be lighting, but just raised why I thought that might not be the case. The fact is there are sources that say the model was not gray, and I'm just trying to figure out if they are or are not correct.

20. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

Models were often painted odd colors to obtain the desired color under specific lighting conditions. Many times it was just easier to paint a model one color and cover the lights with gels to obtain the color desired by the director and/or production designer. Example: The Vulcan shuttle seen in TMP...the model was actually a light lilac...but under the lighting used, it appeared the sandy-brown color seen in the film.