Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you sure a Geordie isn't one of these?

[​IMG]

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    That was the first thing I thought of but couldn't peg how it related. Now that I know it's a specific culture thing I really get why I couldn't peg the relation.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't think so. Cinemablend did a similar article though about a week or so ago. I think it's gonna be a while until they cast the female lead.

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

6. Captaindemotion

To the surprise of many, it seems that Snyder has not been chosen to helm the 300 prequel/ spin-off Xerses, despite the fact that he's writing the graphic novel alongside Frank Miller. This has led to speculation that WB are cooling on him, due to Watchmen and ...Guardian's underperformance at the box office and bad vibe on Sucker Punch. Might he lose The Gig of Steel too? Or is it simply that they want him to concentrate on that movie

http://www.moviehole.net/201136994-wb-sucker-punches-zack-snyder

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Warners hired him to direct the new Superman film despite already knowing that Watchmen and The Legend of the Guardians underperformed at the box office, so I don't think the speculation that Warners is now cooling towards him particularly makes sense. It's far more likely that they simply want him to concentrate on Superman.

8. Admiral_Young

^ This. Guy Ritchie is attached to it so it looks like it could be Guy's next film after "Sherlock Holmes 2". I'm glad that Synder is dedicating all his time on "Superman". That's what he should be doing and who is "to everyone's surprise?". I'm not surprised. I just assumed that when Zach was named director of "Superman" that "Xerxes" immediately was put on the back burner.

9. Captaindemotion

^ But could Sucker Punch be the nail in his coffin? Just wondering ...

10. Admiral_Young

I predict that "Sucker Punch" is going to be the sleeper hit of the spring.

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Sucker Punch is a risky film, and one would think Warners would have gone into it with eyes wide open, so even if it also underperforms I don't think it'll derail Synder's work on Superman.

12. Admiral_Young

People forget too that "Sucker Punch" is his first original film. So not only is it risky and ambitious in scope but he personally is risking his reputation. If "Sucker Punch" flops at the box office Superman fans are gonna be ballistic, I think the majority are already on hesitant regarding his directorship of the film.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nail in what coffin? That expression is inappropriate, considering that Snyder's career seems to be quite healthy (I understand that he's directing some big superhero movie for WB, in fact...)

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The fact that Sucker Punch still got a green light despite Watchmen doing disappointing business shows his relationship with Warners is quite resilient. Fans are generally quicker to write directors off than studios are. New Line (now run from within WB) and Legendary being eager to keep Bryan Singer's services on Jack the Giant Killer, whereas a lot of online fandom has turned against him, is another example of this.

15. Admiral_Young

^ I agree. I've been a staunch supporter of the film since the first trailer blew me away and am excited to see what he can do with Superman.

16. Captaindemotion

And perhaps if you'd read the last few posts, you'd see that he's been replaced on the 300 prequel. You'd also see that his last two movies have underperformed at the box office. And if you'd read the link I posted, you'd see that there seem to be concerns about the strength of the Superman script - not his fault, as director, but not helping that whole 'healthy career' thing.

17. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Whether he's being replaced as director of Xerxes against his will is speculation, though. It's quite possible he's fine with letting Xerxes go in favor of helming what could be, box office willing, a number of Superman films. Also, wrestling a script into shape with shooting still a few months off is hardly unusual.

18. Admiral_Young

Zach is fine. They wouldn't have named him director in the first place if Warner Bros and DC Ent were concerned about the things you stated in your post captaindemotion. For some reason you're already writing him off just because he is being replaced on another project. This kind of stuff happens all the time. I don't see how this has any bearing whatsoever on having a healthy career. It's probably a simple matter not wanting to juggle two different projects at the same time. It's a difficult thing to do.

19. Captaindemotion

^ I'm not 'writing him off.' Does no-one understand the significance of the word 'could' in my post? Last time I checked, this thread was called 'Superman (casting, rumours, pix.' I'm throwing this link in because it's a Superman related rumour and I want to hear people's thoughts about it.

Didn't realise we were only supposed to mention solid facts all of a sudden ...

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Which could explain why M. Night Shyamalan is still working...