Why did Doohan hate Shatner?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by misskim86, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah James

Sarah James Lieutenant

I believe that he didn't mean to hurt Wil...
    But I also believe that he never bothered to make up for it. Lets ask Wil.

2. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Horrors! How, Jimmy? How? Shatner is so universally liked! Who can dislike the Shat? Everyone loves the Shat. Gotta love the Shat. ;)

Obviously, the "hate thing" has taken on a life of its own. I think it's predicated on the popular notion that everyone onscreen in the TV biz must get along well off camera. Doesn't have to be so. Two classic examples:
    -- Some of the cast of M*A*S*H had issues with Gary Burghoff in the early years. He was apparently a quite difficult person to get along with, but things got much better in his later seasons. This is well documented.
    -- Andy Griffith and Frances Bavier (sweet old Aunt Bee) didn't get along at all. They barely even talked to each other off camera. She was also apparently some kind of diva, and not too well liked by anyone on the set. Griffith and Bavier didn't reconcile their differences until she was basically on her deathbed many years after the show ended. And that's well documented, too.

So, Doohan apparently didn't care for Shatner? Not to be facetious, but why does it matter? Why is it novel?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  3. Sarah James

Sarah James Lieutenant

Hey you can dislike just about anybody if you try hard enough. Mostly because we're all human beings and we all make mistakes. Some people more than others. Rate a person by his friends.

Bill Shatners has got many fans but fewer friends.
    James Doohan befriended his fans.

Says it all, doesn't it?

4. jealousblues

jealousblues Lieutenant Red Shirt

i just google searched "wil wheaton shatner part ii" and it came up.
    it was awesome on many different levels and even made Bill look OK enough at the end.

5. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

6. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Sadly reveals Shatner's character as an insecure person (and asshole) to go off like that on a 16-year-old boy.

As described it would be obvious Wil was nervous. A confident, secure person would have tried to put him at ease by complimenting him and making him feel good. All of us who lived through that age knows what it is like to be a teenager.

Instead he went on the attack trying to cut him down. Was he feeling bad about being dethroned by the TNG crew? Was his toupee slipping? Or was he just realizing what a piece of shit he was turning ST V into? Only the Shat knows for sure.

7. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sarah, with all due respect, you simply have no way to back up your staements. All you seem to be going on is second and third hand information from sources who may not be accurate or may have an agenda of their own. Shatner rubbed people the wrong way, sure--lots of tv stars did and continue to do so--but most if not all of what you are saying is just opinions filtered through time, nothing more. So, yeah, Shatner wanted the best lines to go to him and not to the day players. Do you honestly think that ANY star of a network show is going to give away lines and time on the show that he/she is the lead performer? To the day players/glorified extras? Please.

Have you ever met Shatner? I have, and under a variety of circumstances, and I've seen nothing but a focused actor--not the monster described by some. Why does it rankle people so much that Shatner (gasp) promoted himself while working in an industry that requires people to do so? Why does it anger trekkies so much that Shatner doesn't always want to be a part of their little club? The more I see nonsense like this thread, the more I appreciate his "Get a Life" sketch.

8. Bacchus

Bacchus Cadet Newbie

Actually the most well liked according to Wikipedia was Deforest Kelley who was mentioned as the only actor to have had no fueds with anyone on the show.

Unlike Mr Doohan, marrying a 17 yr he got pregnant when he was 54 (they married when she turned 18, still in middle of the pregnancy)

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Did you really have to resurrect a five year old thread only to take a cheap shot at a dead man?

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

11. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

12. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

What Harvey said.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.