The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Look what they did to Michonne and unlike Tyrese she's part of the main cast.

2. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

One thing is confusing. I'm not getting Glenn's over-the-top anger and frustration at everything. Maggie wasn't raped and even told him so but Glenn is still acting like a fool on a rampage.

3. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Right, she's part of the main cast. True, they haen't really given her any lines, but, she's been around the whole season and part of everything. Tyrese, pretty much spent 2 or 3 episodes in a cell, and dug a grave.

I think it's a "Macho" thing. He should've been able to protect her, it happened on his watch, etc, etc. From personal experience, it seems to me that actually is quite a common type of reaction from certain personality types, when something bad happens to their lover or child, it becomes all about them, and their guilt, rather than about the actual victim.

4. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd agree, but both of their reactions seem out of proportion to what really happened.

5. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think this is it exactly. Maggie was humiliated and Glenn couldn't save her. It might even be worse because Maggie was humiliated in order to save Glenn. She rescued him and he really can't deal with it.

6. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That whole interaction between those two seems odd to me, I would have thought it would have brought them closer, not alienating each other.

7. DarthTom

Exactly. I mean shit, a woman showing her tits in order to save her boyfriend doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

8. wissaboo

especially after all they've been through.

And you gotta think nudity isn't such a big deal after they've been camping out for all those months.

9. DarthTom

The Governor is creepy and I'm sure she wasn't thrilled to take off her shirt for him but come on - it was to save Glenn's life.

They've been camping out for months and have had to kill walkers [the undead] and she and Glenn are having a breakdown over taking off her shirt and showing her tits?

Maybe I'm missing something but the reaction doesn't seem realistic to the circumstances and the other crap they've gone through on both her and Glenn's part.

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^It's not the nudity; it's the helplessness. Both were helpless to do anything for each other. Glenn was ready to die to keep the prison a secret but Maggie told the Governor to save Glenn. They were both victimized by other people, so it's natural for them to feel depressed and angry, but Glenn is having a much hard time than Maggie. I agree with others upthread that it is mostly his male ego that was harmed; he couldn't protect her OR himself and that's where all the anger is coming from.

11. wissaboo

some random Walking thoughts

I wonder how much discovering Andrea is alive and they just left her behind is contributing to Rick's guilt breakdown?

I also wonder how long it will be before Merle realizes getting his hand cut off meant he got hot showers for the last year and enough food that he still looks down on scavenging as a food source.

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^ I don't think Andrea really plays into Rick's visit to Crazytown at all. He has enough guilt already; she's barely a blip on the radar.

As for Merle...well, self-awareness isn't really his strong suit, is it? Looking down on others for no logical reason is, however, something he's been good at right from the start.

13. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I think everybody is underestimating how badly Maggie and Glenn were terrorized. They were held captive, physically abused, humiliated, degraded, and constantly in fear of worse abuse and in fear of their lives. Glenn seems to feel like he failed Maggie and Maggie seems to be angry at Glenn because she cooperated to save him.

As for Daryl-- well, I still think they should just change the name of the show to The Adventures of Daryl. He nearly singlehandedly saved those people on the bridge and then came back to the prison just in time to save Rick. And I love the subtle change in the dynamic between him and Merle-- now Merle is following him, and following his example. Daryl is the Dom now. :rommie:

14. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

True enough. That's reason Maggie slapped his hand away: Glen was butthurt over the idea of a sexual threat to "his woman," rather than a threat to Maggie. He has too way too many manhood/property issues, when he needs to realize he's not from a background of violence (ex. Rick, Shane, Daryl, et al) or strong male identity.

Some people with a soft past (ex. Andrea) were hardened by experience, but no one ever promised Glen he was due his change into a badass/street warrior type. Glen seems pissy--as though he's being prevented from manhood, so he lashes out at everyone for no good reason.

Maybe another Merle ass-beating will straighten him out...

15. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

That isn't why Maggie's angry at Glen.

16. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt it. Remember, Merle's information would lead anyone to believe Andrea is not in Woodbury against her will, so he would not feel she was left behind--particularly after the learning she's in a sexual relationship with their #1 enemy.

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Maybe not.

18. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I loved how Merle referred to Glenn as "that Chinese kid" but Daryl corrected him very emphaticallywith "he's Korean."

And while Merle was next to useless on the bridge--and I'm not sure why Daryl didn't tell the older bot about the prison--Merle stepped it up at the prison battle. In that battle, I kept expecting the Woodbury guy who kept backing into the woods to be caught by a walker. Would've been suh-weet!

19. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Finally caught the episode. Working nights is a bitch.

I'm such a sucker. I just loved the stoic, manly nod between Rick and Daryl after Daryl stuck that walker through the head to save Rick in the nick of time. Future bromance born. Stoic and quite, but bromance nonetheless.

Merle's gonna be piiiiiiiiiiiiiised. :devil: The "sissy" sheriff holding sway over his little brother and worse yet, his baby brother respecting the sissy sheriff is NOT going to sit well with Merle and his big macho ego. What was that he said about him and Daryl originally planning to rob the camp back in the day? He'll save that for when he thinks Daryl's turned on him for good. Great three pronged dynamic being drawn between him, Daryl and Rick. And the writers plausibly got Merle back to the prison! :bolian: No way our interpid group would shut Merle out with walkers storming the fence and Daryl right there.

Andrea, Andrea, Andrea......you poor misguided woman. I shake my head. She isn't a bad person in and of herself, but her taste in men leaves a great deal to be desired. Too bad she isn't the leader of Woodbury herself. She'd do better were she not distracted by romance.

20. wissaboo

I meant left behind at the farm