AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Just seen it.

I don't see what the big deal is. It was kinda long and drawn out, and the action sequences are kind of "superhero movie as usual" and the actors all looked like they were phoning it in and...and I can't keep typing this stuff with a straight face. Let's see..my real reaction was more like...

OH MY GOD!! THIS MOVIE WAS THE AWESOMENESS!! IT'S THE SUPER AWESOMENESS!! THE WORD "AWESOMENESS" IS NOT AWESOME ENOUGH TO DESCRIBE THE AWESOMENESS OF THIS MOVIE!!! SCREW NOLAN'S "BATMAN!" COMPARED TO MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS, NOLAN'S BATMAN IS GAY!!!

Yeah...sumthin' like that...

As usual, my gut reactions which are filled with spoilerage:

- On the strength of this movie, I hereby officially forgive Joss Whedon for "Firefly/Serenity" and "Alien: Resurrection." (But he's still on my excrement list for Dollhouse, cause that was just too stupid a concept.)

- Multiple nerdgasms when the Helicarrier took off. And stealthed itself. Multiple. Nerdgasms.

- I always say the measure of a comic book movie is how much it reminds me of the comics, and the thing I love most about the separate Iron Man, Thor and Captain America movies is that the creators actually spent five seconds trying to make the movie heroes like the comic ones. Here, Thor twirled his hammer, Cap threw his mighty shield, Hulk smashed and Iron Man was "fightin' and fightin' with repulsor rays"! Again. Multiple. Nerdgasms.

- BTW, way back in the other thread a couple people complained about Black Widow, like "what could the supermodel girl in the spandex with the stupid gun possibly do in a movie like this?" All she did was kick bad guy ass, whether it be Russian weapons dealers, rogue SHIELD agents or alien supersoldiers.

- Then again, she didn't do that great against the Hulk. Then again, where else could you have seen Black Widow versus THE HULK? That's like a fanfiction nightmare plot.

- Loki versus Hulk. (Tee-hee!) Loki: "I AM A GOD!" Hulk: "Me play bouncy." SKBIFF! SKBAP! SWAKKO! SMACKSMACKSMACK! (tee-hee)

- Coulson? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

- Something minor, but I thought of this because I thought the same thing watching Thor: I think it's kind of cool how Loki sometimes sheds the Asgardian threads and walks around looking like a venture capitalist from Norway.

- I'm hoping for Scarlet Witch and Ultron next time around. (Yes, I saw the credit scene. I can dream can't I?)

A+!!!!

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

True, but Johansson was supposed to be the star, yet it was Cobie Smulders that had my attention.

3. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

And I must ask why? She was just as flat and boring here as she is in "Mother."

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The massive city battle was much more impressive than any of the "Transformers" movies final acts(Downtown LA, Middle east, Chicago)

What probably helped is that there weren't 10ft tall lumps of metal colliding into each other.

5. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I've always liked Cobie ever since I first saw her on the short-lived Veritas: The Quest. I find her attractive and I just thought it was nice to see her in action in a superhero movie. Funny that Whedon got her for this since he once said, jokingly or not, that she was his choice for Wonder Woman.

6. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Likely one of the many reasons his Wonder Woman never got made...

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I saw the movie. I thought it was great. :)

8. 46379.1

46379.1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

9. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I can't wait till A beaker full of death makes his rant about Black widow's costume not being comic accurate

10. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

spoiler text my review, just in case

right I have now seen the Avengers, got out of work early, so took the chance to watch it in a quiet cinema.

First of all, in the previous thread, I make a few jokey posts about how awesome Hawkeye looks, and actually my opinon has not changed, the movie should have been called "The Awesome Archer and His Friends Assemble", everything single time he used one of his arrows, he did something awesome, even when he was under Lokis spell, you got the feeling, he was 2 or 3 arrows away from the helicarrier down single handed.

Yes im being serious

Anyways moving on, one thing I feared was the ability of the movie to make Steve Rogers the lead, and how the movie was going to stop being Iron Man 3. Of the 4 heroes, the Hulk is the most ignored in this movie, with strong elements from the other 3 heroes movies all present, (without spoilers) who knew going on that Erik Selvig would have a decent role in the Avengers movie. However on the main two points of

1) Steve Rogers, yeah they made a good job of him being treated as a leader, but at the same time, the invasion made him seem under powered compared to the rest.

2) Iron Man, Tony Stark is still as exciting and a joy to watch as ever, well when Hawkeye wasnt busy being awesome.

Over all, I think this movie is most important to the Thor movie series, what with Loki being the villain and his back story, the after credits sequence seemingly being a set up for Thor 2.

Moving on to Nick Fury, it did occur to me at one point, that making the Avengers distrustful of SHIELD, isnt good for Fury, but adding The Council, gives him something to be rebellious against, and solves that little problem. Even if Lokis weapon was causing them to fall out, it only enhanced what was already there.

The start of the movie, being set in SHIELD, and loosing the SHIELD base, made SHIELD look like Torchwood in Army of Ghosts, only without the Doctor to show up and solve the problem. Maybe this isnt a fair comparison, but its just something I felt watching it.

I under estimated Black Widow going in, but she works really well, both her integration technique and her place within the team.

All this said, the narrative of the movie, seems a little bland and predictable, even Agent Coulson, death I felt looking back I should have seen coming, him being the only character who could die without effecting the franchise too much over all, and the need for their to be a meaningful death to bring the Avengers together.

3D was nothing impressive, but over all despite Loki being happy to chat and buy time, the movie looked good, and whatever the larger aliens were called, I thought they were cool, I think they were the creature Thor mentioned.

So 4 out of 5.

11. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

If beaker says he doesn't like Avengers, he's lying. It's easily the biggest, coolest, action packed, fangasmiest, funniest and funnest time at the movies I've had in... I can't remember. It was truly a fun couple of hours at the movie and an experience I hope to enjoy every couple of years between standalone Marvels.

12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

A+

I am not gonna read through twenty-two pages of posts.

Saw the first 3D showin' at my theater today, after missin' out on the midnight openin'. It was awesome & kicked all kinds of ass.

I'll be seein' it again, and again, and maybe a bit more after that, before it leaves theaters.

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Just got back from it, and to say I loved it is an understatement. It was everything I was hoping it would be. And yet, it was even better than that. I mean, I expected to like it and all, but I just really enjoyed it, it was never slow for me, and everyone got their moment to shine. I could go on and on how I enjoyed it, but that's what everyone is doing. I do have a few gripes (or maybe just two):

Captain America and Thor. I love both of their solo films, I love the actors who play them, and yet in this movie I felt they were both overshadowed. It was a little disappointing to me. Then again, my friend did point out that in Thor, he was stripped of his powers for most of the film, so he was a more "human" character. In this film he was Thor, ThunderGod through the whole film.

14. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Wow, what a great movie! I don't even know where to begin, there were so many things about it I enjoyed. I really want to see this again, and soon. Joss Whedon is a god for delivering a movie that for me, met and exceeded all of my expectations.

:techman:

15. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Best of the Marvel movies by far, probably in my top 3-4 superhero movies along with X2, TDK, Incredibles. Just not sure where at in that order quite yet.

But it is not a perfect movie. The score is instantly forgettable, but had they had some decent hummable character themes it could have been fantastic. Wasted opportunity.

The beginning of the movie drags a bit, getting all the characters to where they need to be. Whedon slips some humor in, which makes it more tolerable, but it still drags.

The Chitauri are weaksauce bad guys. And deeply uninteresting. Basically space pirates, with no piratical charm. The next movie needs someone who can go toe-to-toe with the heavy hitters of Hulk/Thor/Ironman and present a physical threat.

Finally, in the third act the council is way too quick to nuke New York. The Helicarrier should have positioned itself under the portal, and tried and failed to contain the alien invasion(c'mon, that would have been some sweet PEWPEW!). After the Helicarrier crashed or whatever, the council could have then ordered the nuke strike knowing their most advanced conventional military option wasn't going to cut it. It would also have given Nick and Maria some cool stuff to do instead of just watching things on the news.

16. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Since superheroes started making the transition to live action, by far the hardest things to translate has been the literal action and the larger-than-life sorts of stories. Superman II, in the very early period, delivered some decent-looking stuff, but the technology really wasn't all there. Most of the movies in the post-X-Men world have tried to play down some of the more fanciful elements of the genre -- Marvel's own Thor, a part of this series, was pretty out there, but went out of its way to tone down the magic in favour of science. Fantastic Four shows the downside of this, where they completely stripped what should have been the most adventurous Marvel property of its wonder. I don't know if this movie is more "magical" per se, but in terms of both scope and live action fights this sets a new bar. All future superpowered action movies will be measured against this.

After so many movies worth of buildup, Whedon knits things together fairly efficiently, and so many pieces have been put in place that things start running very quickly.

The cast all works fairly well. Some characters feel a bit more unmored from their settings than others (Captain America most pronouncedly, though in a way that's fitting; but the movie mostly leaves his character arc for his next solo movie). Iron Man and the two characters basically introduced here (Black Widow and Hawkeye) feel most at home, and Banner slips in very seamlessly. I'm still not entirely sure I like Johansson as the Widow. She's not bad in the fight scenes (the opening chair scene features a few poor stagings, but that's not her fault), and is a good actress, but she never really feels foreign, which this movie confirms that Natasha is supposed to be; she doesn't have the sense of mystery that I think the Widow should have.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

LINK

The Cinema Snob begins again the Midnight Screening in-car afteward discussion videos. Usually pretty interesting and fun (more so if it was a bad movie.) Unfortuantly the group in the car with him this time aren't the "regulars" who normally do these Midnight Screenings with him (including his wife) but still and interesting chat.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Anyone else feel that this movie ended up being a way better Iron Man sequel than Iron Man 2? :rommie:

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm planning on seeing this tomorrow.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I really liked Pepper Potts' cameo in this movie. She looked really looked nice in those jean short shorts. :)