(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

If Villa goes down I'll be happy, if Chelsea doesn't make it into the CL also; if Liverpool goes down I think I'll fucking "cum", seriously. :D

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Blatter may of just put the nail in the coffin for the 2022 WC...

As you expect the reception to the news has been lukewarm at best..its been utter shite let face it :lol:

The major leagues and clubs are NOT going to go for it lets face it, FIFA won't dare ban the biggest Euro nations France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, England, Holland when we say erm NO.

Not to say am sure most leagues in the world are open at such times ?

I hope they all refuse to take part in the 2022 World Cup.

3. Roger Wilco

Or they could send a team of non-EPL/Bundesliga/Primera División/Seria A/etc players, that would be a nice "fuck you" too. ;)

4. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

(Mike Bassett England manager movie) We can send Benson & Hedges :lol:

If you don't know what I mean by that quote you so need to see that movie.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PbP_pIgR4s[/yt]

:guffaw:

5. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

6. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Hodgson gone. Good old Liverpool fans, so loyal.

Roger, who are you going to play in Europe next season without Villa!?

As I type Leeds are 1-0 up at the Emirates. Good game too - let's hope they win for once (I'd like our rivals going on distracting, draining cup runs).

7. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oops, 1-1 as I write.

Good job, I couldn't want Leeds to win under any circumstances, even if they were playing Forest!

8. Roger Wilco

Leeds would be cool. ;)

9. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Haha believe me you don't want them!

Replays for Cardiff and Leeds, losses for Norwich and QPR (and Mackie out for the season to boot) and a win for the Jacks, Reading and Watford. Not too bad. I could have done without playing Stoke again, let alone an away trip to Wolves/Doncaster, but what the hell - I love the Cup!

10. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty good FA Cup weekend, quite a few upsets.

First off I'd like to say that I think Ian Holloway is a prat. I know a lot of people think he's "refreshing" but whenever he opens his mouth it's just drivel.

Anyway after dispatching the Tangerines the mighty Saints have Man Utd in the fourth round. Looking forward to it, we've had some good matches in the past and hopefully this one will echo those.

11. Angel4576

Gutted to have missed the Burton game yesterday, usually go if Derby aren't playing.

Crawley away tonight, and then Torquay away in the next round if we make it though. Two potential banana skins!

12. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Forest vs. West Ham...not bad though was hoping for a bigger club or even a local derby with Notts County or Derby County. Also would of prefered a home tie but West Ham might play a weaker side due to relegation worries so we got a chance at least.

Watched the Liverpool/Utd match earlier and it was a soft penatly but that happens on halfway line its a freekick. Gerrard deserved his red card stupid challenge lucky he didn't make contact higher up on Carrick or his leg would of been broken into a few pieces. Martin Kelly (RB/CB) for Liverpool caught my eye and his gaffe praised him too, was a good performance from the 20 year old English lad...

and England could do with a promising right back over the inept Glen Johnson who apparantly slagged off Paul Merson online for having drink/gambling issues...Merson faced his demons head on and gave 100% every week, he didn't throw a hissy fit online and Paul Merson was right when he said you've been crap all season.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  13. Angel4576

Glen Johnson is sh1te fullstop. It's a sure sign of how desperate we are in the RB position that he even gets anywhere near the England squad.

To me, he's a great example of why Liverpool, and England, have struggled of late, because if Johnson's good enough for either respective first team then it's time to worry.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Crawley away then Torquay away (assuming we beat Crawley!) Yeah two huge banana skins waiting for us, but also a great chance to make the fifth round at least, be nice to have a cup run, really lifts the fans and the players!

Be interesting to see what Dalglish does with Liverpool now, obviously the fans have forgotten how dire things had got before he left the first time; David Speedie anyone? Ronny Rosenthal? Dalglish did well at Blackburn, but lets face it he had the money to do well, the money to just buy players so the competition couldn't (take Shearer in their promotion season, no not Alan, the Scottish one whose first name escapes me!) His tenure at Newcastle was a trifle dull as I recall.

I don't understand how players end up in certain positions sometimes. Glen Johnson surely should be a winger, good going forward, terrible defending! I just don't understand how he ended up being regarded as a full back? I guess it was the same with Bale!

15. Angel4576

Not surprisingly they were making a similar observation about Johnson on 5Live before the match yesterday. Thing is though, I don't think he's currently good enough to play as a winger for Liverpool or England either. The sad thing is that he might actually be our best option at RB at the moment. Micah Richards has seriously gone off the boil of late, and that's about it, unless we start looking to the youngsters, which we probably should do. Given how well Adam Johnson's settled into the team, could be worth at least having a look at David Wheater in the role.

Crawley and (hopefully) Torquay, will be interesting. We've a fairly poor record against lower league sides in the cups in recent years, however, that's due in part to our woeful confidence at the time of those games (usually amidst a relegation battle). This time around, the confidence should be ok. Crawley have aspirations for climbing the league, hopefully that'll translate into them trying to play football tonight. If they do then I fancy our chances.

Dalglish, I can't see being anything other than a short-term interim fix. I suspect that they'll bring in someone on a more permanent basis during the summer, the interesting thing will be who that might be.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

To be fair Micah Richards in his 12 caps for England only ever had 1 bad game probably and his last and first cap under Capello against France shown promise I felt. He came on in the 2nd half and France stopped getting any success down that flank due to his power n pace. Micah Richards is a better defender than Glen Johnson fullstop and should be given an extended run as first choice.

However I do like what I saw from Kelly yesterday...potential indeed ;)

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Really looking forward to the game tonight as I actually have ESPN...I usually forget its there however but useful today! Let's hope we win, the Crawley manager seems a real charmer given what I've read about him online.

The trouble with Dalglish is, the fans now have it in their heads that the owners will do what they tell em, Kenny clearly wants more than an interim job, so assuming he doesn't get them relegated I think it will be very hard for the owners to get him out now without a fan backlash!

18. Angel4576

Ricahrds' main problem for England was that he was more often than not played behind SWP, and consequently received very little support down that side. From memory, Richards also liked to get forward quite a bit as well, which I don't have a problem with, but as mentioned, SWP never covered when necessary.

I think it was more a drop in form for Man City rather than England which saw him dropped. Personally, I think he's a better option than Johnson.

Martin Kelly though, completely agree.

From what I heard, Dalglish asked for a four year contract. He clearly wants the job fulltime. Whether he'll get it or not depend on a few factors though; Will they be able to attract someone 'better' in the summer? Will Kenny turn things around by the summer? Will Dalglish be a percieved big enough name to keep a hold of players like Torres?

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

He might be big enough to keep Gerrard, but then Gerrard sees him as a legend. Torres might not have the same level of respect, although he might respond well to a fellow striker at least.

20. Angel4576

I think, with Torres, that he will regret not moving in the summer, instead opting to 'give Hodgson a chance' - I'd imagine that he sees Dalglish as another gamble, thus requiring another leap of faith. I suspect that he'll probably move in the summer to be honest.