What bridge design do you like?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by AdmiralSteven, Jun 4, 2009.

1. NickInABox

NickInABox Captain Captain

It's a frakkin party! I'd love to be on the TUC bridge. Mrowr.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

What, I'm the only one who liked the bridge from "Yesterday's Enterprise"? It was like Picard had his own throne room!

3. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

NX-01, NCC-1701 and USS Voyager are my favorite designs,

4. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

I liked that one too. It was very similar to the way they bridge was redone in Generations. They both had the center area elevated on steps(although the Yesterday's enterprise version was raised more), they both had extra computer stations at each side(Yesterdays enterprise made it a single free standing computer, and Generations had ones along the wall as well), and the lighting was darker in both. They probably liked the Yesterday's Enterprise version and based the Generations version on it.

5. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the streamline of the TNG one, the individualized stations of the TMP one, and the ethereal quality of the white ST:IV one.

6. Captan_Picard

Captan_Picard Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

zdo nobody liked my proposal?

my freind loves the idea for the ship.

7. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

I like the Prometheus style bridge.

I tried, but then I couldn't read your post anymore.

8. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

TOS original bridge. Pike's bridge, but loose the gooseneck intercom/viewers/whatever. Wouldn't mind the red trim from the Kirk era, but mostly stick with the black and gray of the Pike era, with the larger "smoked" overhead view screens over each station, and the consoles lacking the overly colorful jelly-bean buttons of the Kirk-era bridge.

9. James Wright

James Wright Commodore Commodore

Eh, never cared for the E-D bridge, where were all the chairs?

James

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

They slide in under the stations at the back - we only ever saw the padded backs.

Link

The film crew used to pull them out and sit on them during breaks or while shots were being set up, though. :lol:

11. Bertie

Bertie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

From a purely dramatic standpoint, I think that bridge stations manned by standing persons offered the most potential for the actors — Worf benefited the most from this, but so did Tuvok to an extent and even TOS-Spock (to the extent that his station's horrible ergonomics required him to stand a lot) ;) So the Voyager bridge with its two standing stations gets high marks on this point.

From a practical standpoint, or at least an in-universe practical standpoint, I'd also go with the Voyager bridge — given the importance of the viewscreen, it makes sense to have as many people as possible facing it. That's a big problem with both the pre-TNG Enterprises and the Defiant — they've got important stations facing away from the viewscreen (and with their backs to the captain, no less).

(Oh, as for the look of the computers, here's another vote for TUC.)

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Look at the bridges of existing, real-world vessels for examples of how such installations really function, and look at the design of their equipment. Trek bridges function well dramatically and visually, but they don't necessarily make real sense. It is not, for example, terribly consequential that most personnel face the commanding officer or that most of them have visual line-of-sight to big video displays and charts that don't concern their own work.

Jefferies' designs look to have been equally inspired by the dramatic/budgetary demands of the show, probably the look of then-current space stuff like the American space program's Mission Control facilities, and then to some degree by naval control rooms.

13. Bertie

Bertie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

True enough, which is why I said in-universe in the paragraph regarding the viewscreens — they are obviously important to everyone in Trek at all stations; everyone is looking at them frequently and reacting to the information they see there.

14. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm... are we allowed to nominate the Battlestar Galactica operations center?

15. Admiral Buzzkill

We should be. That would probably run second to the TOS bridge, for me. Then maybe the ST V bridge, just for style.

16. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, I have. And when I was, I did.:devil:

On-topic, I'm going to go off into the wilderness alone with my love for the nuEnterprise bridge. I don't care if it's lit like the center of the sun. I like it.

17. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Yeah the Kelvin was pretty slick looking. I also liked the NX-01s quite a bit

18. Tom Riley

Tom Riley Commodore Commodore

I thought Tuvok and Kim had those really tall chairs?

http://voy.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/3x25/worstcasescenario102.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2009
  19. Captan_Picard

you know what I mean. read it and then close your eyes. not close your eyes while you read it. OMG. what hands the world lies in!

20. Captan_Picard

I assume you mean mine. Tactical Has NO chairs.
    the 3 command chairs lay below as I suggested. the 2 forward stations obvously have chairs.

back stations have chairs that are along the back circle peace of the bridge where apropraite. these chairs dispersed unlike the command area chairs are a little more less about function than comfort.