The Dark Knight Megathread (USE THIS! Love, the mods)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

^^ I love how people are comparing two pictures in the same dramatic context when they clearly are not. As I've said before, I think that Katie and Maggie are about the same when it comes to acting chops. For whatever reason, I cannot stand Maggie in the previous things I've seen her in, but I do admit, she looks more believable in the role (Katie looks very young, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you are an Assistant DA...). It is a shame that Katie won't be back in TDK, mostly because I thought she and Two-Face guy (can't think of name) had good chemistry in Thank You for Smoking.

If memory serves, he actually gave a fairly positive review of Batman Forever, but don't quote me on that.

You mean like just about everyone here? ;) Jackson, dude, you have gone silly with love for Batman Begins and Superman Returns and defend those films with all your heart. Doesn't that show bias on your part? I'm not saying it is wrong (I'm right there with you on SR), but perhaps this guy really, really, really hates this current Bat-franchise the way you hate Spidey 2. Maybe he just likes his superhero films light and fluffy, like Fantastic Four was.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Siskel liked Forever. Ebert hated all four. I know they both liked Mask of the Phantasm, but Siskel didn't like Mark Hamill's voicework.

You can actually see their reviews of the Batman films at At the Movies With Ebert & Roeper.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I dunno. Can't say I've seen Katie do anything that's overly impressed me. Yeah, the pictures are out of context between another but, still, Maggie has a lot more life in her picture and that's generally my impression of her as an actress. Katie, much like her picture, is just "there."

4. Aragorn

Katie's top performance is probably Pieces of April (though I'm sure a lot of guys appreciated what she did in The Gift). Maggie's done a lot more of those dark and depressing indy flicks.

But if you need to compare the second set of pics that AgentRichard07 posted, then by the same standard you have to compare the first set of pics.

5. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

We're just comparing pictures. And for the record, I think Gyllenhaal is a far better actress (for examples, see Sherrybaby, Stranger Than Fiction, Happy Endings, Secretary).

He disliked all four previous Batman films. Batman Begins was the first live-action Batman film that he gave a Thumbs Up to.

I admit, though, that Batman Begins and Superman Returns both have flaws. That's why I re-wrote both. ;) And as much as I dislike Spider-Man 2, I can praise certain parts of it (Danny Elfman's score, the action choreography, the cinematography, et al). It's not that he prefers his superhero films light and fluffy, he just doesn't know how to properly critique a film without coming off as nitpicky and biased. He has no objectivity it seems like. That kind of annoys me.

6. Trekker4747

I see no reason to compare the first two pics. Maggie's is obviously lit poorly.

But, if I must, I still like Maggie. She looks cuter and more natural, not fake-baked and overly made-up/possibly airbrushed.

What can I say? For my money she's far cuter, a better actress and more desirable to me.

But, I did enjoy Katie in "The Gift." ;)

7. Broccoli

I just watched the review. I wouldn't say he hated it. Granted, he gave it a "thumbs down", but he explains it was because that you kinda forget about it after it's over. However, he said that even though the film was entertaining, it misses who and what Batman is.

8. Trekker4747

I wonder if we'll see the rebuilt Wayne Manor/Batcave in TDK, or if we'll have to wait until the next movie.

9. JacksonArcher

Do you really want me to answer that? ;)

10. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

The Gotham Cable News site has been defaced by the Joker, and the part I love is that the "A Comcast Network" logo now says "A Communist Network"! LMAO!

http://www.gothamcablenews.com/

11. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

:guffaw: I like that, particualrly Gotham tonight, Diarrhoea tomorrow :D

12. Broccoli

I mean, I know it's a viral site and everything, but I'm just amused that Joker would go and deface a website. I know the character wouldn't be above it, but it just seems to mundane for him.

Still...a communist network...Comcast must really have a good sense of humor to okay that.

13. Trekker4747

I asked it didn't I?

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Well spoiler code it please.

15. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

ZOMG I want the movie NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...*going nuts*

16. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

So does anyone else feel more and more that they're setting up Mike Engle as the Riddler? Especially after the last Gotham Tonight episode, where Dent remarks that Engle is "obsessed" with Batman. Add in the fact that he's a journalist, which means he has to ask a lot of questions for his job, and it begins to seem more likely.

Plus, "Mike Engle" could be a stage name. A name like Edward Nigma doesn't exactly seem like something that you'd want to use if you were a TV personality. :p

17. JacksonArcher

Okie-dokie.

Wayne Manor is being rebuilt. No Bat-Cave. The garage underneath Wayne's Penthouse is his temporary Bat-Cave, like in the comics.

18. Aragorn

I heard that Batman builds a base at the north pole and calls it the Fortress of Moral Turpitude. Is that not true? :p

19. Broccoli

Eh...I don't think so. After all, if Batman were real, he would be BIG news. If they were setting something up, I would think it would be Dent's views on Batman. In the "interview", Dent kept evading what his thoughts are on Batman. Judging from the previews, the Dent/Batman relationship will be a good portion of the movie.

20. JacksonArcher

STOP SPOILING THE DAMN MOVIE ALREADY!