Can anyone point me in the right order of GOOD Trek novels pls?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Solarbaby, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I used to read quite a lot of TNG novels when it was on TV.
    Despite being put off by the TNG novel Ghostship which literally bored me to tears from beginning to end.

The last book I read at the time they were released was a TNG one with Ensign Ro and Worf on a planet which must be quite old by now. Sorry I can't remember tile.

A year ago I read The Genesis wave 1st 2 books which was amazing. But I got bored of the 3rd one it lacked the pace of the 1st 2. I also read a Titan novel with the space jellies from encounter at farpoint which was very good.

The thing is I want to get into reading what happened after TNG ended but can't bare getting half way through lame stories before giving up. Plus I have read some spoilers that has confused me. I want to read the books in order but not the slow paced ones. What can I say? I enjoy a good adventure.

Can anyone recommend some good novels in linear order from end of TNG season 7? Even DS9 and Voyager.

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

This is a question that has so many possible answers, it's a little absurd; there's been so much TrekLit set after TNG's seventh season, you can hardly imagine.

If I were you, since you're already familiar with the Titan crew, I would read:

TNG: Greater Than The Sum, by Christopher L. Bennett
    The Destiny trilogy (Gods Of Night, Mere Mortals, Lost Souls), by David Mack
    A Singular Destiny, by Keith R. A. DeCandido
    TNG: Losing The Peace, by William Leisner.

The Destiny trilogy is the most major event to happen in TrekLit ever, and a phenomenal piece of writing to boot; it stars the TNG crew, the Titan crew, and two other all-new crews (one captained by Ezri Dax from DS9, but otherwise original members). GTTS leads into it; the other two explore the fallout. And all of them are freaking fantastic.

If you want to be a little more completist, there are four other TNG books that come after Nemesis and before GTTS:

TNG: Death In Winter, by Michael Jan Friedman
    TNG: Resistance, by J. M. Dillard
    TNG: Q & A, by Keith R. A. DeCandido
    TNG: Before Dishonor, by Peter David

Opinions about these four are mixed, however, and they don't fit together very well; characters introduced in one become totally different people in the next, and in any case everything of importance is summarized at the beginning of Greater Than The Sum anyway.

But just hold on; about 20 other people are going to come in here and give different advice...

3. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

As the philosopher once said, You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both. I'm afraid that's just the facts of life.

4. garoo1980

garoo1980 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wow Thrawn what a great post. Really summed it up perfectly there. Thought I'd chip in and say that :)

And Mr Lesiner, I think that great man was Alan Thicke :P