New Space Battleship Yamato live action movie trailer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by CaptainHarlock, Jun 29, 2010.

1. CaptainHarlock

CaptainHarlock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

* http://scifiwire.com/2010/06/new-space-battleship-yamato-trailer-made-of-epic-space-opera-win.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoHXxWg7pw4

Here's the good news—we just saw the new trailer for Space Battleship Yamato, and it looks like director Takashi Yamazaki's 2.2-billion-yen budget was well spent. Space Battleship Yamato could surprise us all by being one of the best sci-fi movies of the year.

But here's the bad news—the film, a live-action adaptation of the original anime TV series, doesn't have a U.S. release date, so for now the only way to see it when it opens Dec. 1 is for those of us who don't already live there to head to Japan.

After seeing the trailer, though, we're ready to book our tickets now. How about you?

2. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen any of the original, but I think the trailer looks fairly good.

3. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

I like the shorter teaser that came out awhile ago more, the music and editing was punchier.

This trailer is good, and I definitely want to see it, but it has too much dialogue which I can't understand.

A lot of the space stuff looks very similar to NuBSG.

4. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Here's the trailer in all of it's glory: [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoHXxWg7pw4[/yt]

5. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is there any hope for American theaters to show it?

I know a local movie theater...who would they need to contactto get this movie at their theater, here in Chicago?

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't expect to see this in a US theater but I'm sure a DVD will come out at some point. These live-action anime (and game) adaptations always end up disappointing but it looks to have some promise. I'd certainly be curious to check it out.

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I have no idea what that was or what it was about... but the trailer had some sweet FX!

8. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

As a "Yamato" fan going back to the '70's, seeing the trailers have been a real hoot! So strange to see it all realized in live-action after all these years. With that budget, I'd be shocked if there isn't some kind of international release. It'll probably show up in the same small theaters where you find other foreign films. (a wide release would cost too much) Fortunately, just such a foreign film cinema is right down the street from me :)

9. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Holy crap it's awesome. I love the Yamato universe. I try and keep my expectations low, but I'm pretty psyched about it.

And I want one of those officer's coats.

10. Theonethatis

Theonethatis Commander Red Shirt

For Mr Light, Space battleship Yamato was a anime made in 1974. The Gamilus empire bombs the earth with Radioactive Planet bombs. In one year all of life on the earth will cease to exist. However hope comes from far outside our galaxy. Queen Starsha has a machine called the Cosmo DNA cleaner. It will remove all the radiation from the earth.

There are however two problems. There are no starships capable of making the trip since all of them have been destroyed. However enter the Yamato project. The Yamato project seeks to covertly transform the rusting decaying hulk of a WW2 Battleship into a starship. Also Queen Starsha has given earth the plans for the Wave Motion Engine. The first faster then light engine that mankind has ever seen. Also along with the engine Starsha has given plans for a huge frickin gun called the Wave Motion gun. These 2 pieces of alien technology are placed into the Yamato helping to transform the old batteship into a spaceship to be reckoned with. Hence the title Space Battleship Yamato.

The second problem is this." Can the Yamato travel 147,000 light years in just one earth year? Hurry Yamato the Human Race is counting on you!!!"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08LfHAh0jAY

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  11. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

12. Theonethatis

That came out last year and supposedly did not do to well. I still want to see it though. I will watch anything with my favorite space worthy battleship in it.

13. iguana_tonante

I seem to remember that the Wave Motion Gun was something the Earth Defense Force created by themselves reverse-engineering the Wave Motion Engine. And Starsha was pissed about it. Typically human. :D

14. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The FX in this trailer are markedly improved from the first teasers of it. Sure it's not going to be Hollywood big-budget quality, but it doesn't look too bad.

15. Theonethatis

I don't remember that at all. I just watched it last year and am pretty sure the Wave motion gun was also part of the package. However I could be wrong and would like to know for sure. Will look into it and report my findings.

16. iguana_tonante

You may well be right, I was going by my notoriously fuzzy memory. It might actually come from some of the fan-fictions I've read in my years. :lol: (I have a fried who is totally obsessed with the series and she's a prolific fanfic writer). I appreciate your quest for accuracy, tho! :techman:

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Effects look good.

18. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

I think it was called Yamato: Rebirth, or something like that.

19. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

Ah, so many fond memories of that cartoon. Well we have a couple of theaters that show Japanese films and anime here in the Bay Area, I'm sure one of them will have it.

20. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Never watched the orginal anime and dont know much about it, albeit few pictures and articles/review I have read about it over the years....but this live action film looks pretty cool:cool:
    And you can never have too many films with space battles:bolian: