Iron Man: Armored Adventures gets 2nd Season

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cylkoth, Mar 2, 2010.

1. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Teen Iron Man has gained a 2nd season, courtesy of production partners DQE, Marvel Animation and Method Animation.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/0...d-adventures-is-set-for-a-second-season/43528

While I'm not all that crazy about the particular style of CG the show's using-I can't really stand the slick, video-ish look of the characters, completely lacking any texture, I'll admit the show slowly won me over as it progressed. Watched it online at Nicktoons' site, and am re-watching on dvd (thanks to NetFlix). The background designs and cgi however are wonderful. I do wish they could convert the video to look like film, it might give the characters a little more weigh.

Bring on season two!

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

So now we know Iron Man and Wolverine and the X-Men are getting renewals, but no word on the one I want back the most, The Spectacular Spider-Man.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I've been catching the occasional Iron Man in the mornings and I'm finding it extremely forgettable and the human animation is just creepy and awful. Still don't like the idea of teenage Tony. Yeah Spider-Man is far and away the best superhero toon on now, they really need to renew it!!! Do we know if it got good ratings?

4. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

The teen Tony keeps me away from this show.

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

This makes Iron Man: Armored Adventures the first Marvel animated series outside of shows featuring Spider-Man or the X-Men to run for more than 26 episodes.

6. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

They need to cancel this show and give us a real Iron Man cartoon with continuity faithful to the comics, an adult Iron Man, and traditional animation inspired by Bob Layton's art.

7. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

/\I'm surprised they didn't do that considering the success of the first Iron Man Movie. Tony was never a teen when he wore the armor. If they needed a kid to connect to their target audience, why not have a teen sidekick, a genius like Tony was at his age, repairing armor, and occasionally getting Iron Man out of trouble. I never watched this show because of this. Spider-man is different. He was always a freshman in high school when he became a superhero.

8. Christopher

I believe the show was in development before the movie came out.

And how hackneyed is the idea of a teen sidekick? I guarantee you that if that had been done, it would get even more fan protest than this has, because it would be something blatantly tacked onto the premise for kid appeal, something that didn't fit. At least IM:AA is still the same basic dynamic -- it's about Tony Stark, Jim Rhodes, and Pepper Potts as the core heroes. They're just younger, is all.

Yes, IM:AA is a variation on the familiar theme, but that doesn't mean it can't be worthwhile. Just think of it as an alternate universe, a What If..? story: What if Tony Stark had become Iron Man as a teen?

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, really? They've yet to renew Spec Spidey, I would have thought its renewal would be a slam dunk decision to renew. Wonder what the hold up is?
    It can't be the Disney/Marvel merger is IM:AA is moving forward cause that would've been my first guess.

10. Christopher

What I heard is that in order to retain the movie rights to Spidey after the merger, Sony gave up the TV rights in exchange, so now they belong solely to Disney. And that means that the only way SSM will get a third season is if Disney XD wants to produce and air it. So the corporate reshuffling apparently has caused some delay.

IM:AA is a different matter, since its rights were with Marvel to begin with, so the merger doesn't affect it.

11. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

How is Brave & Bold doing? Has it been renewed?

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It's currently airing its 26-episode second season (bringing the number of episodes to 52) and an animation blog recently passed along news that it's been renewed for a 13-episode third season, although that hasn't been officially confirmed yet.

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

This link is entirely about Disney launching an Avengers cartoon. However, at the very, very bottom it mentions still producing Spectacular Spiderman. So I see two ways to view it. One, its still considered being produced for another season until otherwise noted or Two, official cancellation news just hasn't been announced. Lets hope for the former.

Ah, the 'magical' 65 episodes for syndication. So the question then would be is this third season B&B last?
    Seems if it wasn't going to be and the 65 number wasn't important that they would just do another 26 episodes.

14. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Disney just had their upfront presentation of their upcoming slate of shows (that's where the scheduling news for The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was released) and there was no mention of Spectacular Spider-Man. I guess there's still hope as long as they haven't officially announced a cancellation, but it's not looking good.

I assume it'll wrap up production after 65 episodes, like Teen Titans and The Batman did, especially since they have Young Justice and (probably) Green Lantern in the pipeline.

15. Christopher

It doesn't say anything about producing The Spectacular Spider-Man. It only says that the cable channel Disney XD currently "showcases" (i.e. airs) SSM, along with reruns of older Marvel shows like Fantastic Four and Iron Man. (They must mean reruns of the '90s IM series, since Armored Adventures airs on Nicktoons.)

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

TSS-M is the only one of them I've seen a whole episode of. And I think it's really, really good. I'm not in the least bothered about the next movie being set in Spidey's schooldays, as this show has shown just how well such a setting can work for the webslinger (not to mention the fact that back when I were a lad, that's where the comics were set ...).

As for IM: AA, well, renewal of any animated series based on a superhero can only be good for the genre.

17. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

With what lineup?

18. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could immerse myself in this if it was about teen Tony being Tony Stark's grandson.

The first Tony/IM would have been active in the early 60's, took some schrapnel in Korea and fought cold-war armoured Russians. Had an affair with a mysterious Russian spy named Natasha, who became pregnant and left the baby with Tony in exchange for her freedom...

Tony's son, Arnold Stark, grew up an indolent playboy who turned SI over to Obidiah Stane when his father disappeared.

Arnold's son, the young Tony, discovers some of his grandfather's armour as well as an automated design and manufacturing facilty. At 16, he's nowhere near his grandfather's equal as far as designing micro-circuitry or weapons, but he has that knack with computers and software that all teenage comic book heroes are born with. He updates his grandfather's computers and software and starts creating new armours, with "thinking outside the box" designs.

Meanwhile the Mandarin's grandson is looking for the rings, Stane is turning SI into Evil Inc, and a series of villians are attacking industrial facilities and stealing technology, using armour based on the original Iron Man's old foes, like the Crimson Dynamo, the Melter, Whiplash etc.

Now use that as the hidden backstory, the show could be written pretty much as it was in the first season but reveal all of this bit by bit as young Tony defeats various foes and sniffs out the mystery of his grandfather's disappearance.

The show would only have to be slightly different than it was, but I'd have been totally immersed.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Unofficial word is that it's Nightwing, Connor Kent, Impulse, Arrowette, Aqualad, and Miss Martian (who may be renamed Martian Girl for the 'toon). Character design sheets for Arrowette and Aqualad have popped up online.

20. Christopher

I find that statement so contradictory. If the stories are the same aside from some trivial bits of backstory, why would your immersion level be so much different?

And a guy in the '60s being able to invent technology that can hold its own against modern bad-guy tech? I wouldn't buy that. Technology has advanced so far in the past 40 years that the very idea would be ludicrous. And it would diminish the show's Tony by making him more an imitator than an innovator. This version of Tony may be younger, but he's still the same person, the same driven genius, not a namesake two generations removed.

Also, your version would kind of simplify the Stane character. The show's version is more ambiguous, therefore more interesting.