This is Deadpool?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Feb 22, 2009.

1. DanTheGrey

DanTheGrey Vice Admiral Admiral

When I first heard that Deadpool was going to be in the movie I actually got slightly more interested in the movie. I guess it's back to waiting for it on DVD after the carnage settles...

2. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The armblades are so un-cool. As mentioned above only Baraka ever did a decent job rocking those.

3. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

:( My sentiments EXACTLY!:( when I first saw this I was REALLY hopeing it was a joke:eek: This is a real shame to, because DEAD-POOL is my favorate Marvel charactor:(

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Let me put this to you clearly: In this film, Deadpool is a wise-cracking asshole (as shown by the trailers) -- that's why Ryan Reynolds was cast. If you're going to moan about him being scarred and disfigured (as opposed to getting his Spider-Man rip-off costume) -- in a film that's about fucking Wolverine -- you're watching the wrong movie.

And if you're looking for a fourth-wall-breaking, wise-cracking, ass-kicking ninja / mercenary ... you're really watching the wrong movie, since fourth-wall-breaking content is the kind of shit that confines a film to nothing but genre purists. The cartoons, animated movies and comics exist for the genre purists. What happens in another medium in no way affects the comic character.

5. Mr. Adventure

When Deadpool talks they should have yellow subtitles.

Wow, so much anger over someone not liking the interpretation of a character that you don't care about.

6. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well this is what you get when you cast the film with a bunch of "faces" who are more concerned with getting their mugs in the camera and directors and production designers who feed their egos with less than stellar costume designs and obligatory mask removals at the end of most superhero films (and all three Spider-Man films). I've said this before and I'll say it again. When casting for a superhero film, cast an talented up and comer who is comfortable behind a mask for the majority of a film and can act with their voice. They're out there. I know someone will say that you need a known actor to sell a genre film, but Star Wars shot that theory down. Sell the universe. Sell the concept of a movie and you won't need a Cruise or Clooney or Pitt to try to sell your film and the production design will be a little more faithful to the source.

7. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Wow...this thread is reminding me of 1999.

8. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hardly an 'up-and-comer', but to this day I remain impressed with the nuanced performance Hugo Weaving delivered as V (in 'V for Vendetta', of course) with only voice and gestures. But then, I've always thought Weaving has a great voice.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

9. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Amen to this. So that taken into account, even if they put him in the costume we wouldn't really get this Deadpool anyway, so there's no point in moaning, as much as I want to.

Deadpool and Gambit had epic fail written all over them from the start, Ryan Reynolds notwithstanding. I imagine Cyclops and Emma's cameos do too.

10. Mr. Adventure

I have to admit I have limited familarity with Deadpool but if he was given a suitably scarred face and they dropped the armblades but kept the new costume wouldn't it have worked somewhat? Kind of like Agent X maybe? An "adaptation" of the character to be sure but somewhat true?

11. Praetor

To me, it's not 'really' Deadpool unless he breaks the fourth wall at least once. But the description you provided is better, IMO.

12. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

The thing I hate about the changes is that Marvel loves to makeover the comics in the style of the movies in an attempt to market the books to nooblets, how long before face paint Baraka Deadpool shows up in a comic?

13. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly my thoughts!

And the funniest (saddest?) thing is, I've been reading he basically only looks like this for a single fight scene. It's not his look for the movie.

But the fanboys on the internet will continue ranting and raving until they actually see the thing. Keep this thread bookmarked, so we can read the apologies for overreacting after the movie opens.

14. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Trent, that's an amazing example. Here's another example, even though he's not a masked superhero: Anthony Daniel's C-3PO. Even though he was portraying a machine, every emotion he had was expressed solely through his body movements (it helped that he had a career as a mime) and his VOICE. But if people think that unmasked and unmasking heroes is the way to go, I have four words for them: Albert Pyun's Captain America.

'Nuff said.

15. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really hope it turns out to be another character. If not, they did an awful job teasing us by showing Ryan Reynolds with basically the rest of the costume except for the mask.

16. Praetor

Maybe that version of Deadpool is just a temporary after he gets all healing factored?

We can only hope. But those blaaaades...