Futurama Season 7 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Jun 21, 2012.

1. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Hopefully this recorded correctly overnight and I'll be able to watch it today.

2. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Post of the week! :rofl: :guffaw: :lol:

Sincerely,

Bill

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

"Yes, that sequence of words I just said made perfect sense."

:techman:

4. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Stupid Dvd cut off the end! Last I see the professor is fixing the time button then poor..can someone post the last minute or so?

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

He fixes it and the universe is destroyed.

End of show.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is awesome!

7. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ I'm fairly sure. :rommie:

Well, that was a nice episode. The whole sequence starting with Fry jumping from the building was very well done. But the best thing was getting to see Fry and Leela live happily ever after-- but still having the door open for more stories. Which I do hope we get someday.

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

One more observation as I'm watching season 1 for the first time since 2000.

I hate that way they write the characters. They did the whole 'Overly dumb, crass male/Sage like moral paragon female badass who acts irritable toward all men all the time' cliche that they always did around that time because of 1990s male guilt. It only works for Homer/Marge and Bart/Lisa because they had other qualities to offset it.

Plus after the first two episodes the jokes just aren't funny.

I'm so happy they toned that down and gave Fry and Leela more likable qualities in the later episodes.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually I felt Fry was less dumb and crass in the first season than he tended to be later. At least in the first couple of episodes, particularly "The Series Has Landed," Fry had an endearing optimism and sense of wonder about the future. Later on, the show tended to ignore that sense of hope and ambition in Fry except when dealing with his pursuit of Leela.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I've been re-watching season one and laughing my ass off. No point to make, just sayin'. :)

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I saw that in the second episode when he was pining over the sense of wonder about the moon. After that it was like, Fry gets in trouble, Leela kicks people and saves him. Then they reference Ally McBeal and Pamela Anderson's breast reduction.

In the last season they had the episode where Fry remembers why he loved his family and starts to miss them for the first time, which is a stark contrast to the first season where he hates everything about his former life and by extension, all of modern humanity.

The first season shared the sentiment of Jean Luc Picard that 20th century humans are savages.

13. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

And they did so awesomely.

"Single female lawyer
    Fighting for her clients
    Wearing sexy miniskirts
    And being self-reliant."

:techman:

Add that to the first appearance of the Omnicronians and Zoidberg being hilarious just by saying "Gracias" and you've got one of my favourite episodes.

I love season 1. Not as fast paced and zany as later seasons, but still wonderful.

14. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Similar to the treatment of Homer in the Simpsons. He went from being a real character to a caricature. As did all the characters.

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Fry missed his family after Luck of the Irish.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, the show treated humans as savages in pretty much any century. The characters looked back on the 20th century as a savage time, but it was clear that the 31st century had plenty of its own foibles.