Menagerie, re-mastered on the Big Screen

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Dulak, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Dulak

Dulak Commander Red Shirt

I don't usually post to this list, as I primarily post my Shepard stories on the Fan Fiction section.

Just wanted everyone who doesn't already know that there will be a special showing of the High-Definition re-mastered version of the Menagerie, you know the TOS two part episode incorporating footage from the original pilot with Captain Pike into a court martial of Spock.

It's the 13th, but check your local listings. Seems like most theaters are adding extra shows.

I'm going, probably be the best Trek movie of 2007.

2. Gkar

Gkar Lieutenant Red Shirt

This is freaking sweet news!!!

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

4. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Methinks this belongs in the TOS forum...

5. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

It's being shown tonight and Thursday. I'm there for both.

6. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

I'll let you know in 4 hrs 28 mins : )

7. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

Elmo and I are leaving for the Hyannis area within the hour for the show tonight. Can't believe it's actually here ;)

8. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

just got back from the one in Manchester, it was ok, the effects look cool, great story, the documentary was disapointing. plus it was steep at £10. but it was a 1 off.

9. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

I just got back from the very busy show in London. Lots of "oohs" and laughs (some unintentional). I got in for free, but paid for my wife, who had a good time as well.

TOS-R looks fantastic on a big screen, the quality of the new effects and the cleaned-up footage holds up well. I even noticed something new about The Cage. Several of the crew members have injuries from the previous mission that dialogue implies became a fierce battle. One of the bridge crew has his hand bandaged, a Landing Party member has a dressing on his neck, and Spock himself is limping! I'm surprised I never noticed this before.

The cleaned-up footage on the big screen also had an unintended affect. The line of Shatner's hairpiece was clearly visible on one close-up! :lol:

10. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

Just got home and loved the show. It's the best way to see TOSr, that's for sure. We had a moderate crowd - actually more people than I expected, and some young kids too (one little girl in her TNG uniform). Great Enterprise rumble with lots of ooohs and aaaaaahs from a very happy crowd :)

[​IMG]

11. rgb1701

rgb1701 Captain Captain

I just returned home from the Livonia, Michigan showing.

A coworker and his wife came along with my wife. The show was sold out, but it was a smallish theater in a typical 20 screen megaplex.

While I had fun watching Menagerie on a big public screen with other fans, I was disappointed with the "extras" and the technical presentation.

As far as I could tell, most of the "extras", except for Rodenberry's son, have been at

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Original...2461&sr=8-2

for weeks, which I watched weeks ago. Dingleberry, er, Son of Rodenberry, didn't say anything I hadn't heard before- he would have been interesting had he contributed new tidbits for us LONG time fans who've Heard It All.

The digital projector they used in our venue had FAR too little resolution- it was at most a 1024x768 XGA projector- I counted and estimated the pixels, which were easily visible from our seats. My home Epson Cinema 400 puts out more resolution and contrast than what they used. I looked back at the projection booth, and saw they used a boardroom-style LCD projector, sitting next to the (what I assume was) the film projector. I was expecting a commercial grade DLP or DILA, or 1080p LCD.

While the "remastered' FX were nice, the "restored" film elements were FAR from fully "cleaned up"- FAR too often I still saw dirt and scratches in the image, obviously from the original film media.

I would not buy into another of these events unless I was assured of the technical presentation quality, though it was fun to watch with appreciating peers ;).

12. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I just got back from this myself and it was a treat. I loved seeing the new fx on the big screen, and frankly, I hadn't realized how much I've realized seeing the Enterprise on the big screen until now.

One annoying thing. Three of the guys behind me were not fans of the new CG effects, and that's fine - but every single time one came on they had to make a comment. I had to shush them. You can have your opinion, but I paid money to see this, don't ruin other people's experiences because you can't stay quiet during a movie.

13. Matt

Matt Commodore Commodore

Man was my showing dark. AMC really needs to upgrade their screens and projectors. Talk about garbage.

I think the projectors are all digital now, and low res, because you can see pixels and they're like each the size of a dollar bill folded in half. It'd be nice if the $12.50 ticket got me a clear "HD" viewing.

The film still needs a lot of work. So much for remastered. Tons of easily fixable scratches, especially in part 2. The whole intro of part 2 wasn't HD, neither was it restored. Wow...

All in all it was a great time, though. Everyone laughed a lot. "THE WOMEN!" got a huge roar of laughter from everyone. All Trekkies. The theater was packed, and I imagine the next showing will be as well.

I saw at least two girls dressed up. One in a TNG Ops uniform, and the other in what appeared to be a TOS operations (red) miniskirt uniform, but I only saw her out of my peripheral vision... It appeared to have Captain braids on the sleeves, but we nerds know this is impossible since a.) In TOS you had to be in command division, and b.) No women Captains.

14. thollian

thollian Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

it was awesome watching it on the big screen, plus talking with some local Trekkers (Trekkie's)...

It was worth it for me, plus getting to see it in HD on a really big screen with surround sound was really nice. But yeah it was advertisement in way to get you to buy the HD DVDs, but thats fine....I still enjoyed watching the episode.

15. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw it tonight in Brooklyn Center, MN (north of Minneapolis) and loved it. I'd say 3/4 full with a mix of ages and more women than I expected which was nice to see. :bolian:

The Enterprise looked awesome up there, and I loved the looks of the season 2 effects I saw, The Doomsday Machine would look fantastic on the big screen. I did see what rgb1701 saw, dirt and scratches but I would still go for another show if it came out. I just wouldn't spend the $13 on snacks.

16. Matt

Matt Commodore Commodore

The people there were mostly 24-44. I'd say 85% male. A 50/50 mixture of bedraggled fat nerds who looked like The Collector from The Simpsons, and guys who dressed sharp and stylin'. The women were pretty normal, from what I could see. I don't know if there were any girls there alone. Mostly girlfriends and wives.

Seriously though, it was packed on a Tuesday night at an odd time. That has to say something.

"Star Trek" in 2008 is going to make a huge amount of cash.

17. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Just got back from the Century City (LA) showing. There was a gent dressed as a very convincing Vulcan, lobes, robes and all. Rod Roddenberry also showed up after the showing. In the viewing audience was Malachi Thorne (Mendez)and Bill Blackburn (Lt. Hadley). It was cool to see the original Trek on the big screen. The remastered effects look much better in a theater.

18. Jptrekker

Jptrekker Captain Captain

Just got back from the Portland showing. I think we had a better projector than some other cities, didn't recognize much bad pixelation.

It was interesting hearing where the laughs were--mostly at Shatner's expense: Kirk making eyes at the yeoman, several times, arguing with Mendez in office and in the shuttle. There were also laughs when Spock uses the nerve pinch and when McCoy asks "I keep wondering who could be following us in a shuttlecraft." Spock's emotions during the flashbacks also got chuckles.:rommie:

I heard several oohs and aahs during the documentary when they first showed the non-cgi Enterprise fade to the CGI Enterprise.

The funniest part was at the very end when the presentation abruptly ended and we got the windows xp "Active Desktop Recovery" on the theater screen (got the biggest laugh of the evening, second was Shatner getting beaned with a Tribble just before during the S2 preview).:lol:

Overall lots of fun, about a 75% full theater, some comic shop guys, but mostly average people in street clothes, and a couple of TOS-Era uniforms and minis.

19. sevenstars

sevenstars Captain Captain

I'm really glad to see it was so well attended elsewhere. Here (Antioch, CA) there were quite a few people but the theater was nowhere near packed. A very friendly atmosphere, with a few people in costumes which everyone enjoyed. My young niece thought it was quite entertaining--intentionally and unintentionally. At the end we were shocked to find out she did not know what a tribble was, so we have our work cut out for us.

20. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved it. One thing I hadn't noticed before: I could see the bottom of Vina's feet while she was dancing and they weren't green. I guess it's just more obvious on the big screen.
    Silly me, I thought that since they charged $12.00 to see this that maybe we'd get some kind of cheap little collectible or a program or something.