THE WOLVERINE - Reviews and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 22, 2013.

?

Rate The Wolverine

1. Excellent

20.5%
  2. Above Average

44.6%
  3. Average

30.1%
  4. Below Average

3.6%
  5. Poor

1.2%
  1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^That's how John Byrne envisioned the process back in the day as well, though they didn't get around to exploring Wolverine's origins during his tenure. In his version, Wolverine's original bones weren't affected by his healing factor, and had to be replaced one by one after he broke every bone in his body.

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Wolverine Blu-ray cover
    [​IMG]

X-Men: The Adamantium Collection Blu-ray (6 movie set, includes open slot for DOFP)
    [​IMG]

James Mangold talks Unrated edition.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/in...lverine-will-have-a-bloodier-unrated-cut.html

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Does not sound like his extended cut is coming soon.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I rated it above avg. I enjoyed that it was more of a drama with less set-piece action, though it had a few of those as well. Its not a great movie, but a nice addition to the X-Men movie pantheon.

RAMA

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Once the "Legacy X" disc is removed? :p

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It actually SAYS that on the product description page on Amazon! :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/X-Men-The-Adamantium-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00E6D4HHO

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Complete my collection...until Wolverine 3 and the DOFP follow-up at least!!!

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed "The Wolverine" but I couldn't believe how little action was in it. I wonder if non-fans were horribly bored for the first hour. It was basically a character drama...

9. Set Harth

Quoting someone else, it was "Right before he wakes up, after being captured by the ninjas."

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh the horror!

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I actually quite enjoyed that. As has been said, it was nice to see a superhero movie where the world and lives weren't at stake and it was more focused on the single character.

12. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I loved it. Better than Origins, character driven.

13. Set Harth

Lives were at stake, just not millions of them at once.

14. Crystalline Entity

Crystalline Entity Lieutenant Red Shirt

I rate The Wolverine as average - individually I thought many of the pieces were very good, but as a whole the experience was not as satisfying as other recent comic book movies. Some quick comments:

* One of the strengths of the movie were the two Japanese actresses portraying Yukio and Mariko. Pacific Rim desperately needed an actress of their caliber portraying Mako.

* Most reviews pan Viper, but I admit I thoroughly enjoyed her performance, detrimental to the cause of positive female portrayals in movies notwithstanding. ;) Along with Logan she is the only non-Japanese character we see after Canada, and boy does she get the blood rolling when she's strutting around Tokyo in those high heels! :drool: Yes, she was channeling B&R Poison Ivy by the end, but overall a satisfying henchwoman (not a main villain), comparing favorably to Faora in MoS.

* Continuing on commenting on the actresses, I loved seeing Famke Janssen again, but I think she made one too many dream appearances, which overstressed the point of Logan's feelings of loss. Better to have included a flashback from X3 of Logan stabbing her. Though it's probably not canon to do so, it might have been interesting if Dark Phoenix were actually really communicating with Logan from beyond the grave, beckoning Logan to join her, instead of being a figment of his imagination.

* Still not sure why Yashida gave everything to his granddaughter. Given the importance of the interclan dynamics that drove the plot, a compelling reason was needed, but I can't recall one being given. Off the top of my head, since Yashida is something of a mutant-phile, perhaps make Mariko a mutant (with very toned downed powers), and therefore he likes her over his non-mutant son.

* Logan's effective invincibility due to his healing prowess IMO made the Wolverine a less-interesting and even troubling character; there were hints of this in X3, but it's really apparent here when he's exclusively fighting non-mutants. In particular, even though the fight with Mariko's father was great, I felt really uncomfortable when Logan killed him; there was no way he could beat him, so why kill him, especially when he was no longer the one threatening Mariko? Conversely, the way the ninjas neutralized him despite his renewed powers was very clever.

* Yashida's return as the Silver Samurai is final proof that movies should never have the main villain pretend to be dead, then reappear. It didn't work in Prometheus, and it didn't work here.

15. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I rate Yukio's actress lower in the strengths category due to her weak enunciation in parts of the first act of the film. I had no idea what she was saying at a few points, which irritated the hell out of me.

1) Japan is still a very patriarchal society in many ways, so he probably expected her to be very demure and go along with whatever he says. 2) He treated her better than her dad, so he figured she'd be willing to do whatever he wanted if he played on their familiar bonds. 3) Yashida figured Shingen's ambitions would ruin the company and would probably get in the way of his goals at some point, while Mariko had no ambition and didn't want the job, so she'd gladly let Yashida handle the planning stuff and just be a figurehead.

Logan killed Shingen because the guy was still a threat to Mariko. Sure, he wasn't the immediate threat, but Shingen had literally nothing to lose and everything to gain after Yashida's will screwed him over. Letting him live at that point, when he's lost everything and Mariko's pretty much guaranteed to get the company, just means he'll be back for revenge. He already doesn't give a shit about his daughter's life, but getting beaten by mutants twice and left to stew in his defeat just makes him more motivated to ruin his father's plan/legacy by killing Mariko.

Yeah, action movies need to stop doing twists because they suck at them.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't Logan's Adamantium skeleton kill him without his healing abilities?

17. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really enjoyed the movie, but I was dismayed at the number of continuity problems I saw. I don't usually notice such things, so if I do it has to be pretty bad. It doesn't affect my rating of The Wolverine; I just find it surprising.

18. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

I don't think he ever lost it. If so, one of the half dozen or so bullets he took would have killed him first. I was under the impression he still had his healing factor, but it was slowed down from working overtime on his skeleton and heart.

Anyways, I rated it Above Average

Only things I really didn't like were the extremely convoluted story around Mariko being hunted and a few poor fx shots. Otherwise, the movie was a lot of fun and exactly what I wanted from a Wolverine flick.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It had just a slightly better hold than some front loaded films but not by much. It dropped 59% from last weekend.

The Wolverine now stands after 10 days in release at $94m+ domestic and $253m WW on a $120m budget. Headed for sequel territory for sure. Should hit $100m domestic by Thursday, two weeks in release.

So I'd say regardless of how DOFP does we are highly likely to see a third solo Wolverine film sometime in the next three years.

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

If we were to see a third Wolverine movie, and as they've already done an origin and a Japan story, there is only one setting that I'd accept-- Madripoor!