"Iron Man 3" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 23, 2013.

?

Rate Iron Man 3

1. Excellent

72 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. Above Average

61 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. Average

16 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

What isn't clear is why the Extremis agents' own body parts aren't similarly destroyed by all that heat.

Movie "logic", I guess... :shrug:

2. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's comic book logic. They needed villains to be a huge threat to Iron Man. They actually made them less powerful than their comic book versions.

These were the Extremis powers from the comics:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Extremis_virus

3. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Watched it again last night and during the 'march of the JARVIS suits' two Extremis peeps clearly rip the head off one of the suits w/o any heat powers. Meshes with the above...

4. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, apparently Extremis can make the host body immune to heat. By... umm... er.... insulation? What insulation? Transfering the heat? Where? Regeneration? With what source of matter?

It's just magic.

I don't mind suspending my disbelief, but that doesn't extend to making something out of nothing with an unlimited energy source powered by fantasy.

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I just assumed it altered the composition of the body's DNA or whatever so as to make it a form of energy. Or magic, as you put it!

6. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sure, but energy expended has to come from somewhere.

7. Captaindemotion

^ Um - the Force?

8. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Clearly you're not familiar with comic book physics.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Same place Cyclops gets the power for those Optic Blasts, and Wolverine gets the power to regenerate without eating a lot or whatever.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Does anyone know about an Iron Man trilogy box for blu ray? Or a complete Avenger films box? I don't have any of the films and it would be neat to get them all at once.

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

No Iron Man trilogy set has been released. Kind of surrpised they didn't do one.

There is an Avengers Bluray set, but it only contains the movies and no extras. It has Iron Man all the way to the Avengers.

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe they'll put out an Iron Man trilogy set for the holiday season?

13. Captaindemotion

Yeah, they'll wait until people have stopped buying the IM3 disk and then they'll go for the double-dip.

14. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

And then the MCU Phase 2 boxed/cased/whatever set.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

No Iron Man trilogy box yet that I've seen/heard.
    However, there is the Marvel Cinematic Phase One Collectors Set. In a handy briefcase containing the Tesseract and SHIELD Files on each Avenger.

I own it, couldn't pass it up.

16. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

I saw it last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. I have to complain, however, that the story's resolution centered around Stark destroying all the Iron Man suits, presumably retiring his days as a super hero.

Except the credits end with the words "Tony Stark will return." Besides, I doubt they are planning to make Avengers 2 without Iron Man. You know, when a movie ends with a hero resigning, and the movie makes an unexpected amount of cash, causing the studio to say "Hey, let's bring him out of retirement so we can make some MORE money," I find that annoyingly contrived. So for them to retire the character knowing full well they will soon un-retire him and thus cheapen the ending of the previous film... I don't like it.

Besides, comic book characters aren't supposed to retire after just three or four adventures. They are supposed keep saving the world over and over indefinitely. (I'm not saying the movie series should continue indefinitely)

But I still like the movie a lot.

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It wasn't so much a sign of him retiring. He built all those suits partly as a way of him escaping his leftover trauma from New York, so him destroying them was the final step in him overcoming the trauma and coming to terms with it and himself.

It's one of those things that can be seen as an ending, but also a new beginning.

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

He never explicitly stated that he was retiring from the hero business. The phrase "Clean Slate Protocol" suggests that he's just starting over from scratch.

Besides, his next appearance would be the next Avengers film, and if there's something big enough going on to bring the Avengers together, then it's probably big enough for Tony to get back in the saddle. We wouldn't be seeing him in-between anyway, so no big loss.

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

SPOILERS

If Tony is the one who builds Ultron this time around, then that would explain what he's been up to between Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2. And when Ultron goes rogue, that's what gets him back in the superhero business.

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

The suits he detonated were also probably hurriedly and sloppily built, which explains why they kept breaking down. They were no big loss in the big scheme of things.