Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Today's Dino Super Charge was your pretty standard "aloof extra Ranger must learn The Value of Teamwork" plot for the most part, but it had a fascinating twist at the end there --
    Heckyl was once a good guy whose planet was destroyed by the new head villain Lord Arcanon, and now he's remembered and sworn revenge. Pretty intense performance from Ryan Carter there. I expect this means we'll see him do a face turn and end up allying with the Rangers.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

3. Christopher

Pretty revisionist TyrannoZord.

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

morpher looks cool. T-Rex Zord looks like a reject from the live action Transformers movies.

5. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Looks like it moves like how we think T-Rexes moved now and not like Godzilla.

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting morpher. The toy looks a little cheap, but it will probably look better in the movie. I was worried we wouldn't get a morpher, and it would be more of them just kind of activating their powers when they wanted. I hope we get a real morphing sequence, its a bit cheesy but I'd say its a core power rangers moment.

7. Samurai8472

New photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Megazord revealed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee Commodore Commodore

^will people actually buy that?

9. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Only people who really love their childeren ;)

10. Christopher

That's weird... There's one version of the Megazord that's recognizably put together from the individual Zords, and another that's more humanoid and doesn't seem to be made of separate pieces. Maybe it starts out in the combined mode and then somehow transforms into the more humanoid mode? But why would it need to do that? And do we really want it to?

11. Stephen Lee

Stephen Lee Commodore Commodore

^maybe its one of those weird --- ok we have combined together and we look awesome but now the enemy is even more powerful! We need to power up to the next level & they turn into 'final form'?

12. Christopher

Third-last Dino Super Charge episode today, and things are building toward the big climax. Not a bad episode, though I don't really see the point of bringing back Sledge as the big bad instead of keeping Lord Arcanon, since the latter was the one that Heckyl had a vendetta against. Anyway, it's good to see Heckyl starting to become an ambiguous ally.

The plot structure was a little odd. They need to make a new Zord because most of the Rangers are turned to stone, but then the Rangers are freed before the new Zord debuts, so that kind of obviates the need for it. Also, it's weird that they had the Megazord battle before the big battle against the normal-sized monster.

While we're at it, I wonder about the mechanics of how a giant monster can blow up but then return to normal size and fall to the ground. Is the giant monster some kind of shell that forms around the normal-sized monster? Or is it that maintaining the giant size is a strain and too much damage or energy drain undoes the effect, causing the monster to shrink back to normal, sort of like an inflated balloon losing its air? With most monsters being shrunk and destroyed at the same time, but some of them durable enough that they're shrunk and not destroyed?

13. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Captain Captain

My assumption, and I'm going to stress assumption here, is that the more humanoid version is what actually appears in the film. And the individual combined version is just how they attempt to milk the combining toy aspect in the toyline.

I'm guessing that there will be no "combining" like Super Sentai and Power Rangers usually go about it, with moving parts and identifiable discreet components, but rather a merging. Maybe they'll flow like water, maybe they'll turn into tiny cubes and shift around, maybe there will just be a bright flash of light and there it is. But I think the individual zords more or less go away and this replaces them. It's a single giant robot, that results from all five rangers pooling their power. Less Voltron, more some kind of gestalt Ultraman.

Or Hasbro is just screwing around in the toyline, which they do all the time for Power Rangers. Vehicles and such that never appear in the show. But I really do think that the more humanoid version is more likely to actually appear in the film.

14. Samurai8472

The top one is the interactive toy megazord

[​IMG]

The bottom one is the $100 dollar DX set.

$100 dollars seems like alot. Apparently the megazord toy will be HUGE.

Even the megazords sold today(even smaller than the Japanese versions and lacking more paint) are no more than $40 dollars.

15. Christopher

Yes, but that's not my question. My question is about what roles they play in the movie. There's no reason they'd design the interactive toy to be so radically different in appearance than the movie version, so it stands to reason that both versions probably represent Megazord variations seen in the film.

16. Awesome Possum

Probably because the actual movie version looks like the interactive one and the other one is just due to the limits of making it out of different pieces. It also has the benefits of selling two toys and having kids want both. You can either have moving joints or the ability to combine, you can't have both for a kid's toy friendly price.

I highly doubt there is an explanation as to why the two toys look differently.

17. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

Sign_me_up!

Coming from a place of pure nostalgia, I'm enjoying the hell out of all this news. Even if the movie sucks, it's going to be amazing.

18. Samurai8472

High quality pictures of interactive megazord

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Awesome Possum

It sort of reminds me of the megazord crossed with the evil zords from the first MMPR movie.

20. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral