ROBOCOP remake finds its director and star

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Look at movies like "Police Academy" a pretty raunchy comedy with a LOT of adult humor and themes in it. THAT was turned into a cartoon and a line of toys! And they came out several years after the first movie. Never put it past toy makers and cartoon makers to "kid-ify" things.

2. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

To be fair, by the time the Police Academy cartoon came out, the movie series was already watered down to PG level antics.

3. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They turned Highlander into a cartoon too. A series based on guys chopping each others' heads off.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Let me guess, Robocop only shot robots with his new blaster gun in the cartoon? :lol:

Wolverine only stabbed robots in the 90s X-men cartoon too.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

^^^Don't forget The Turtles who only turned their weapons against the (robotic) Foot Soldiers :)

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The uptight parent groups are the reason the turtles weren't allowed to use their weapons in the second movie. I will always hate them for that! :p

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I think the cartoon Rambo must win in the whole 'sanitise a grown-up franchise' department.

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure if this was covered, but ok....

The reason I think he looks so shiny and like a guy in a suite, is to make him more family friendly. I got the impression that OmniCorp designed RoboCop to be the new face of law-inforcement. Now, if you want to have something be a friendly and acceptable face of something, you wouldn't want to see skin edges like in the original, right?
    So perhaps they designed him to look more friendly with his helmet off.

As for the trailer... I'm not sure yet. Sure, it looks pretty good. But I need a good plot as well, and not much cheesiness to take this as a serious remake instead of a parody. So I'll reserve judgement untill after I've seen it.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

It's not a remake.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well and Leonardo stabbing/slicing things with his swords? Okay.

Raphael stabbing things with his three-pronged stabby weapons (Sais)? Okay.

Donatello beating things with his staff? Okay.

Michelangelo beating things with his nunchucks? Oh DEAR GOD NO! Not that! Anything but that! Give him another weapon a... grappling hook or something.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I always wonder why people complain that cartoons are kid-friendly. They are cartoons for crying out loud. Robocop is not a R-rated concept per se. It's about a man who got turned into a police robot (cyborg, get the fuck off my back). Kids love that.

Adults got their violent film, kids get their version.

What's with the feeling of entitlement? I'm old now, I demand adult stuff!

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

LOL They've totally Poochied Robocop.

13. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, it's a sequel. IIRC it takes place about five years after Chronicles.

Good thing that at least Japan's anime industry has realized that there's a market for both. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2maUxhGRLQ

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

What would you call the new Robocop movie then if not a remake?

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I think he thought you were calling Riddick a remake.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're not even ninjas in England. :lol:

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess to me it just feels like they're promoting adult stuff for kids, and that kind of bugs me.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

They are promoting the kid friendly version of adult stuff for kids.

If you see it from a kid's perspective, it doesn't matter. There's his cartoon robocop, and if his parents are smart, he won't even know about the live action film until he's old enough. And then he's surely not going to complain "Oooh, how kidified and dumbed down my favorite cartoon show was!"

Similar complaints about the Star Wars prequel trilogy annoy me as well. Fans of the original trilogy are old fucks now, and they hate the prequel trilogy for being aimed at kids with Jar Jar and more funny droids. Some even criticize the Clone Wars cartoon for similar reasons.

It also goes the other way round. People complained when in the A-Team remake they started killing bad guys. Because in the original show we never saw them kill someone. People have big problems with changes to something they liked, that's what it is.

Nobody forces you to watch the "kids version" of live action Robocop. You already got your superior super brutal 80s Verhoeven version.

I am against PG-13 ratings for films like Rambo or Expendables, because those are war films and wars are ugly, or films like Die Hard, when the actors starring in these kind of films are at their best when their dialogue is completely unrestricted, and the characters are inherently R-rated. But a Robocop film doesn't need an R-rating to be good.

20. Nociod

Nociod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain