Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm still impressed by the remastering. Every episode looks awesome.

CBS-D have done, and are still doing, such an amazing job.

The VFX upgrades are so faithful, I have no need to go back and get the DVDs for the unaltered episodes, like I did for TOS.

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Not to derail the thread, but... why did you do that when the unaltered episodes are on the bluray in HD?

4. OneBuckFilms

I got both the TOS and TOS-R box sets on DVD prior to having a Blu-ray system.

My point is that there is no need to choose between two very different sets of VFX.

5. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Faithful these are, but I'm really starting to wonder if this is a good thing (like the CGI recreation of the 4-footer :sigh: ).

In this screencap from "The Enemy" the Romulan Warbird "correctly" passes the Enterprise on the starboard side, but conveys the incorrect impression that both ships have roughly the same size.

But the Romulan Warbird is a much, much bigger ship and the reconstruction of the aforementioned shot provided an opportunity to make the Romulan Warbird pass the Enterprise's bottom and thus convey its correct dimensions.

Bob

6. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

They never showed ship sized correctly. Everything was roughly as big as E-D, which sort of negated the "grandness" of the ship.

7. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

Watched The Most Toys tonight and just noticed in one shot, Kivas Fajo has tears that roll down his face when he tells Data of his troubled youth. I never saw that with the DVDs before. The weird thing is right after he says he's lying, but now I wonder was he?

8. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That was also the first time I noticed the tear... totally hidden on DVD

9. OneBuckFilms

That tear was brilliantly played too. It adds a lot to the character.

10. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I haven't seen that episode in years but I swear I remember seeing the tear on TV when it was first aired.

11. jimbotron

HD facepalm! :)

[​IMG]

12. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm watching Menage now, and just noticed something new. Starting at 4:30, there's an Asian guy sitting behind Lwaxanna and the Ferengi in Ten Forward. He's wearing glasses. About 15 seconds later, after we cut to Deanna and Riker at the bar, then back to Lwaxanna, the glasses are gone.

Did we ever see anyone else wearing glasses in TNG?

13. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Dr. Crusher wore sunglasses on the holodeck in "The Big Goodbye." But I don't recall seeing a Starfleet officer wearing corrective lenses at any point in the series. There was a deleted scene in Insurrection where the librarian was wearing reading glasses:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Glasses
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Eyewear

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    Yeah, I know I'm cheating. ;)

15. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I finally finished the season. In the documentary (part 2 or 3), they show a few clips from "Transfigurations." I've watched this episode many times over the past 23 years.

Although I had always seen the gruesome hole in the side of the alien's face when they first rescue him, it was only now that I noticed that half of his left arm was gone in that shot and the first shot of him on the biobed. How could I miss that?

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I never noticed that either.

17. jimbotron

I never noticed it either. It wasn't until I read the Memory Alpha article that I learned of it. It's really hard to make anything out originally.

In HD though, yup, you can see his teeth because the cheek is gone, and one arm is visibly missing.

18. Reynolds

Reynolds Commander Red Shirt

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. But are there any plans to release season 3 in HD in itunes?

19. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

There seems to be a window of time where the Blu-ray is the only way to get it, a year maybe? Nothing official has been said, just an observation.

20. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just noticed a possible bug on the S3 blu ray #4.

If I watch the first episode "The Offspring" until after the end of the credits, it jumps back to an "empty" main menu! Everything is gone!! :eek:
    Plus, all menu buttons of the remote control are disabled.
    Didn't find another way than to open the tray and load the whole disc again.
    Can anyone confirm that please by watching the end credits of that episode? Maybe it's just my player (Panasonic)...