AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2012

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: AVENGERS - movie Discussion, News, Interviews, Pics till release 2

Some things are dorky beyond redemption; many of the "costuming" choices of pulp artists fifty and sixty years ago are necessarily abandoned when making these movies and that's absolutely a good thing. Many fans who've never been called upon or permitted to make an artistic choice in their lives think that all creative people have to do to "get it right" is to closely copy those things to which fans are already emotionally attached. Total shit like the Salinger Captain America movie stands as damning evidence to the contrary.

Don't expect to see Superman done up in baby blue tights again on the big screen, either.

The Black Widow is Scarlett Johannson, right? This movie is looking better and better. :)

2. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

And, again, that's exactly what was thought in the 70s -a period of new filmmakers, of gritty, cynical nastiness on the screen and off, the likes of which we haven't seen since. Nobody could take a big blue boyscout seriously. He'll be laughed off the screen. Except the Salingers, Mario Puzo, Richard Donner and a bunch of other people took a major chance and it paid off big. Because they chose to believe in it.

Then it's going to continue to bomb until TPTB finally realize that, of all characters, the public does not want Superman fucked with.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really think finding the right combination of new stuff and comic book stuff is probably one of the biggest challenges with these kinds of movies. You have to be able to find something that looks good and believable on screen but isn't so far off from the comics as to be unrecognizable to comics fans, and that does seem to be very hard.

4. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a cartoonist, illustrator and a graduate of the Kubert School, so yeah, I've made TONS of artistic decisions. I know what I'm talking about here.

And no, there's more to getting it right than to just slavishly copy what's in the comic. You have to pick the right materials and make adjustments to make it work in live-action on a three-dimensional actor. You have to consider factors that an artist working in a 2D medium doesn't have to.

But that doesn't mean you should use that as an excuse to throw out whatever the comic has done for 50, 60, 70 years and just do your own thing. That smacks of egotism & laziness. I hate it when the filmmakers don't at least try to use the comic book costumes as the basis for what they use in the movies.

For the record, I think the Donner Superman suit, the Raimi Spider-Man suit, and the Favreau Iron Man armor & Black Widow outfit all adapted the comic book costumes very well. It can be done if you put the time & the effort into it.

5. JonnyQuest037

This inaccurate portrayal of archery is quickly becoming a major pet peeve of mine. You NEVER pull the drawstring up over your own arm. That's a good way to slice it up.

This blog offers a great overview of the many, many ways comic books get archery wrong: http://comicfacts.blogspot.com/search/label/archery

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, because the costume makes or breaks a movie. I guess that explains why those X-Men movies sure were flops.

I agree. And I think most superhero movies created since they have gone mainstream over the past ten years or so have done that well for the most part.

Granted, X-Men films ditched their costumes for a more uniform look (which makes sense in context of the movie).

With Cap, as discussed in the Cap thread, even though I think the costume is a bit too busy, it still reflects its comics counterpart pretty well and fuses it with what a WWII-era soldier/commando might wear. I like the image in the fan art and it would be cool to see his costume like that in the Avengers or in a "modern day" sequel. By the way, didn't the director say Cap was getting a new costume in the Avengers?

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

^ that IS a new costume for the Avengers. and it's not fan art, it's a promo poster for licensing companies at a licensing show

8. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awesome picture. Saved to desktop. I cannot wait to see all these characters on the screen together.

Incidentally, is it just me or is the Hulk not wearing pants?

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, it certainly doesn't look like it. Hopefully they're just really short.

10. JonnyQuest037

I think that bit underneath Captain America's red glove is supposed to be the Hulk's tattered pants. It does look awfully close in color to Thor's cape, though.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Nah, you can see a good foot below Hulk's belly button on the exposed leg, shorts riding there, would be below his junk. Either oversight, or he wasn't prepared for public in that scene, hence, why he's in the back covered. You can see the inside leg separation, pretty clearly.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Now we get to see if he really is incredible.

13. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

It would make some sense that he doesn't wear any pants; all the rest of his clothes get torn to shreds when Banner morphs into Hulk.
    But I doubt they go all Watchmen on this Hulk ;)

14. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The first Hulk movie had him pantless at times (right after the dog fight, especially).

Creative shadowing worked fine.

I'm wondering if Whedon's just going to be using naked Hulk as a punchline to be made fun of the whole movie.

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

*Hulk breaks through a S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters wall"

Stark- Running around naked and all steroid'd up. That's why I prefer tech.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I just noticed that Iron Man still has the circular chest piece.

CANON VIOLATION!!!!!

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It does look like an upgrade to is IM:1 armor. The silver highlights an what appear to be thicker shoulder attachments.
    [​IMG]

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I thought the triangle design was just a brand new preference.

Stark just beamed the element into the triangle metal. Next time he could refine the beaming and use a circle design.

Stark's always modifying his stuff

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0eCJqEVKNQ[/YT]

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And despite those impressive credentials, you're mistaken. It happens.

Every version of Cap's outfit being used in either movie is based closely on the original design (there is, in fact, no other reason to stencil wings on his helmet at all). It's simply not done slavishly, because these designers are competent at working in a more sophisticated medium demanding a greater efffort at versimiltude than Kirby appears to ever have given any thought to.

The public doesn't care at all. You just want it the way that's familiar to you.

20. JonnyQuest037

Since what we're talking about is purely a matter of opinion, no. Me having a different opinion than you does not mean that I'm wrong, just as the reverse is true. We are simply interpreting the existing facts differently.

I really object to you characterizing movies as "a more sophisticated medium" than comics. It's simply a more popular one. Comics are as capable of just as much sophistication than movies, if not more. And I'll never subscribe to the notion that whatever a movie does is automatically better than whatever a comic book does. Different mediums, different choices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.