(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Title chances? Likely. Barring a sudden turn around based on how/if Arsenal strengthen in the January window - but after throwing away so many points, it was always more realistically about keeping Champions League football. That season goal is very much alive.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think a lot will depend on whether Gerrard was the guilty party or caught up in the middle of something else. Blood was spilled and he has been charged so we have to wait and see. If he was in the wrong place at the wrong time then I hope this is proven, but if he is guilty be interesting to see if he gets the Joey Barton treatment.

Took Forest long enough to dump Calderwood. As for Jewell I'm torn. I feel he was the right man at the wrong time, wish he'd joined us after we were relegated because I believe he is a good manager. That said recent results haven't been great, and of major concern to me is the falling out with players. Still I worry now about who we will get to replace him. Huchings? Please no! Ince, Keane, Clough? Having had about 7 managers in 8 years I sincerely hope the next one manages to stay for a few seasons.

Wonder if Scotland want rid of Burley yet?

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Hope you all had a good christmas period, I know I did...

Forest 6 points from 9 (against relegation rivals and Charlton still to come) and out of relegation. CC had to go that defeat to Doncaster was the last strawm only good thing he did this season was buy Joe Gardner who has been really good. I want any of the following...

Nigel Clough
    Roy Keane
    Aidy Boothroyd
    Peter Taylor
    Stuart Pearce

NO FUCKING BILLY DAVIES :shifty:

4. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I don't think a single thing went wrong for me over the Christmas period. Oh wait, yes it did. An American goalkeeper-shaped thing in fact.

Steve Coppell had the nerve to say he wasn't surprised Federici scored. HE'S A GOALKEEPER. And it was in the 5 minute of 4 minutes injury time. I'd have been ecstatic with a point at Reading and the way we ended up dropping 2 still makes me feel sick.

Still. Bolton lost 2/2. Swansea drew 2/2. Leeds are still rubbish. Premier League is still tight from 9th to 19th. I'll take it - certainly better than most Christmases!

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Nigel Clough...part of me would love to see him at Derby, but in truth he's never managed in the football league, and the expectation on him at either Derby or Forest is a recipe for disaster. I've always said his next step should be a team like Notts County or Chesterfield.

Keane- bottler

Boothroyd started well at Watford but kinda found out of late.

Taylor- has never really been successful at a high level.

Pearce- probably the best bet of all the ones you've mentioned for Forest, but sometimes the rose tinted ex-player notion is a bad mistake (Take McFarland and Colin Todd at Derby)

Davies has his downsides, but seriously you could probably do a lot worse. Let's be honest you didn't do so bad the last time you had an ex-Derby boss did you!

God help either of us if Dowie gets one of the jobs!

6. HappyDayRiot

You're safe from Dowie - he looked very happy on Friday afternoon, doing the matchside commentary for Gillette Soccer Special for Wolves v Sheffield United.

And by very happy I of course mean "never let this man near a pair of headphones and a mic ever again".

7. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Forest are set to give Billy Davies the job :rolleyes: League One here we come. Since hes ex Derby and his surname does not end with Clough, he will be on a major tight-rope with the fans.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I bet Earnshaw's dreading this if true!

Actually I'd bet on him keeping you up. I wasn't especially enamoured of the football we played under Davies, but in the championship at least he built a tight, hard working side capable of grinding results out, and that's probably what you need at the moment. Expect more than a few 1-0 victories though...

10. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Forest getting Davies, fcuking get in! Finally we'll be able to get rid of Teale, Todd, Camara etc.

I'd put good money on Forest's first signing being Matt Oakley. Steve Howard's on the list at Leicester as well, wouldn't surprise me if he's not far behind.

Re Jewell. I liked the bloke, but enough's enough, he just wasn't getting the results and there's little evidence to suggest that this would have changed anytime soon.

From what I've heard, Clough's the frontrunner. The comments about Hutchings being in with a shout, I think he'll be there until the end of the season which would allow Clough to see out Burton's campaign.

I can appreciate the comments about Clough having no experience in the football league, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he couldn't do the job. Martin O'Neil had little experience when he left Wycombe for Leicester. Didn't do them any harm though. I'd much rather have someone with a genuine interest in the club. Of the other names in the frame at the moment, I'm not convinced that any of them would be able to do a better job than Jewell. Given that, I'm willing to take a gamble on Clough.

It's a shame that Forest didn't do the honourable thing the last time they were after a manager and get Nige in then. Could have served out his apprenticeship there before taking the step up to the Derby job this time around ;)

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hey its worth remembering that Davies bought in McEverly to replace Camera (who was actually part of our best defensive run if I recall!) but yeah, Oakley and Howard may end up at Forest.

Good point about Nigel, I think it could be a good gamble, I just really think Derby need a manager for a few years now rather than someone else we might have to replace too quickly. If he came in I think someone like Hutchings as his assistant would be a good idea!

Oh for another Jim Smith/Steve Mac partnership! Oh for another Burley!

Jewell, right man wrong time- if he'd joined us in the summer I think things would have run a lot better.

12. HappyDayRiot

Well the transfer window is officially open again. I hate this time of year - it's almost unheard for Cardiff to survive any window without selling one of their best players. Ledley is being linked with Stoke apparently - I think he'd be insane to go there with the two teams being where they are right now.

So begins the month of nail-biting terror.

13. Angel4576

The figure I heard for Ledley from Stoke was £7m I think. They're mad paying out that kind of money when they'll most likely come back down in May. Besides, as you said, moving to Stoke is hardly a step up from Cardiff.

Re Clough and a possible assistant manager, let's bring in Peter Taylor. Clough/Taylor all over again, if that doesn't instill nostalgic-fueled optimism in the fans I don't know what would.

I think the problem that we have at the moment is that whoever comes in, they'll be on a short fuse with the fans. We've become that jaded now due to our experiences over the last 6/7 years that we almost assume the worst and shoot ourselves in the foot in every single situation.

14. HappyDayRiot

Man City 0-3 Nottm Forest

If that's not new manager syndrome, I don't know what is. Thank you so much Forest.

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

All 3 strikers have scored and now the pressure has grown on Billy Davies because our Asst Mananger beat relegation rivals Norwich and just smashed Man City so Billy's 1st game against relegation rivals Charlton is a must win.

16. Angel4576

You'll be alright under BD. The man has his faults, but his knowledge of how to fashion a successful Championship team isn't one of them.

4-3 against FGR, thank fcuk for that! Decent fightback, but conceding 3 goals against a non-league side?? FFS! Whoever comes in for us, they've got to look at the defence as a priority.

17. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nigel Clough should look at Paul Ince.

Had a good thing going in the lower leagues, making steady progress, then jumped too far up the league and crashed and burned.

Nigel Clough should stick with Burton.

18. Angel4576

I agree, until the end of the season, but only so that he can finish what he started at Burton. Even though I want a manager in asap, I'd still be somewhat disappointed to see him leave Burton on the cusp of achieving what they've been after for the last decade, league football.

That aside though, Clough's served his apprenticeship over the last ten years. Whether he's capable of stepping straight up from the Conference to the Championship is open to conjecture, however, it didn't do Martin O'Neil much harm when he went from Wycombe to Leicester. It does work sometimes.

19. HappyDayRiot

Derby v Forest
    Cardiff v Arsenal
    Liverpool v Everton
    Kettering Town v Fulham

What an amazing 4th round draw. I can't even remember the other fixtures any more. Just the thought of Arsenal coming to Ninian Park...

20. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Time to give Derby a good spanking :devil: