Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 18, 2011.

?

How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2012.
  1. A+

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. A

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. A-

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. B+

27 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Cap is a comic book hero. You have nothing but latitude. I mean you can literally have Cap going to the Moon to fight the Evil Nazis Gerbil and his flatulence ray. As for character development, that's the whole point. It was rushed in the movie and very little will be done in The Avengers.

I'm just using the comics to shows that it was done differently and there was no ill effects.

My point is that Tony and Thor are more than capable of discerning Right and Wrong at this point with the basic plot Marvel has set up. Cap is really important when there is moral ambiguity (you know Civil War) and I doubt Marvel will ever get that far.

But one can criticize Marvel for missing a golden opportunity. Like I said, their plan for Avengers was just too inflexible. I think Cap (and you can also apply this to Thor) would benefit from the extra development a sequel can bring.

2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well it's a good thing that these movies are only based on the comics, and aren't required to follow them to the letter. Changes get made for movies all the time. This is a change I agree with. The Avengers without Cap is like your morning cereal without milk.

And perhaps in the movie it will be shown that the Avengers have been on one or two missions before Cap shows up, and they were disasters. It's not like Nick Fury was waiting 70 years in the event Captain America could show up.

3. Yminale

So what ?! That doesn't make them immune to criticism. I wouldn't be surprised that some in Marvel are face palming right now since they may have a lost another franchise like Spider-man.

4. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

You say that like they couldn't do another movie. Fortunately, they can.

5. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Hence, why it got a full movie before putting him in the the modern day, where 50+ years of his stories have been primarily set.
    Probably not a huge amount; hence, why Cap sequels will be very useful for that.

6. Yminale

Yeah but it will fail. Cap in modern times doesn't work. I remember in the 90's when people called Cap irrelevant and obsolete compared to the anti-social psychopaths that were popular then (Wolverine and the Punisher). What's acceptable in the past just doesn't translate to present.

Seriously does Cap have any moral relevance in a country where the majority supports torture and half the country hates the president because of the color of his skin. You know what kind of controversy you would generate if you sent Cap to fight Islamic terrorists.

7. Yminale

Everybody has complained that the last half of the movie (where Cap is you know heroic) felt rushed. That's the whole point

You know harsh audience would react to that. They be yelling "Get over it loser". Critics will be wondering why Cap has issues when he shown none during Avengers. It'll be a mess.

8. Gov Kodos

Fail? Current ticket sales say otherwise. The rest of your rant here is irrelevant.

9. CaptainCanada

You presume that he won't be showing any issues in The Avengers, whereas the teaser suggested the opposite is true. The sequel can simply have more spacev to explore them and hopefully have him find a bit of happiness in the new world (probably involving Peggy's hot grand-niece).
    He's been working in modern times for 50 years now.
    Oh come now. He came from a time when Obama would have had to use separate bathroom facilities in much of the country.

10. Yminale

First past results do not guarantee future success.

Second we're talking about a totally different movie

Third you haven't proven that audiences will accept a Cap movie set in modern times.

11. CaptainCanada

The fact that the character has been depicted in modern times with huge success in multiple media for going on 50 years now suggests it shouldn't be a problem. Particularly since The Avengers will already have him in modern times.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure fans are excited about "Captain America 2" and "Avengers" which one can logically assume will be set in modern times. Who is "everyone" when you talk about complaining the second movie felt rushed? I certainly did not think that.

Yiminale, as passionate as you seem to be about this particular argument I'm afraid you most likely will not get anyone to agree with you no matter how hard you continue to press your point.

13. Gov Kodos

First, life's a bitch that way, but the current movie's success makes a sequel quite likely.

Second, who knows what your talking about?

Third, I don't have to prove anything, it's Marvel's game and The Avengers is next up.

14. Yminale

If it's touched at all it'll be a blink and you'll miss it moment.

Alternatively, I really don't remember Cap being in the future was a big deal to him. He just rolled with it.

Cap was considered outdated 50 years ago. Sure he has a strong following but it's never been huge like Spider-man or Wolverine.

And half the country think that it was a good idea. Honestly do you really think modern Americans are going to respond to Cap's belief in freedom, equality and social justice. Most people would laugh at him and call him outdated if not ignoring him.

Like I said what works set in WWII won't work in the modern era.

15. Yminale

The critics and many of the posters on this thread and others. It's really the only serious flaw in an excellent film.

I don't care if anyone agrees with me and I know the course is set. What I won't be is browbeaten to accept the current course is optimal.

Marvel had a chance to make something great with Cap and instead they decided to make him another comic book action star. Their loss.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

The only part of the film that felt a bit rushed to me was the taking down of Hydra. It came across as if they were just knocking over their installations one by one without any serious resistance or setbacks.

17. Yminale

The sequel is already in the works. My point is that it won't succeed like the first movie.

Bowing to authority is the worse argument you can make. Just because someone is set in their course of action doesn't mean you can't criticize.

18. Gov Kodos

So, your opinion masquerading as fact is the be all and end all that we and Marvel should adhere to?

19. CaptainCanada

It's been a fairly major theme with the character.
    Most characters don't. So what?
    They seem to be responding well to him so far.

Moreover, the whole damn point of Captain America is that he's "out of time" and arrives in an age that is more cynical than his own in some ways. What you're describing is the crux of his character conflict, a concept that is played with in numerous movies already. Audiences will already be introduced to him a modern setting in The Avengers.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

What a fail statement. You only show your own narrow minded bigotry with such a statement. Half the country, let me guess ALL Republicans. :rolleyes: Dislike wouldn't possibly be tied AT ALL to his and his parties policies or vision. No, not at all HALF dislike him cause he's black. Puuuulease.

Seriously guys Yminale just needs to be ignored at this point. His passion and views on this aren't serving any purpose.