Everyone leaves L&O:CI?!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by bigdaddy, Sep 25, 2009.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Almost everyone... :p

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/09/2...t-departures-including-vincent-donofrio/28373

I'm glad Jeff Goldblum is staying, he is awesome, and I'm glad Vincent D’Onofrio is leaving because I hate him. I'm really sad to seeJ ulianne Nicholson leave because she was great with Goldblum, plus she is being replaced with Saffron Burrows who I cannot stand! She was the worst character ever on Boston Legal, and if you watch Boston Legal there were a lot of characters.

Why this show is still on the air I do not get. I would just cancel it and movie Goldblum to L&O. Then when NBC cancels L&O this year it can move to USA. :)

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

What the bloody hell? Are conditions THAT FUCKING BAD on the set? Why would everyone just up and leave? :confused:

Oh well. Wonder who the new captain will be. Maybe they can get Jamey Sheridan back...

3. bigdaddy

What I have heard throughout the years is that Vincent D’Onofrio is a pain in the ass to work with.

Julianne Nicholson left because of her 2nd child. Rumours were that the remaining three defectives would all mix and match together instead of hiring a replacement. This news came out of no where.

But like i said they should just end it and send whatever characters want a minor role to the real L&Os.

The way things are going all the current L&Os will be off the air within 2-3 years tops. L&O is on it's last leg, SVU the main characters are thinking about leaving the show, and CI is now completely a different show. What will the world look like without a L&O on the air?!

4. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If they really want to have fun with it they should have Goren go the dark side and embrace his Father's occupation as a serial killer and have him first kill Eames and have Nichols have to hunt him down.:lol:

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I was never a big L&O fan before, but I gotta say I was REALLY digging Goldblum's run on the show this season. He was quirky and fun and just fascinating as hell to watch. It's a shame his partner isn't coming back, because I thought they were great together. But as long as HE's gonna be there, I'll still be watching.

As for D'Onofrio, I thought he was kinda interesting early on, but by the end, it appeared he was just sleep walking through the role. He was kind of like CSI's Grissom... if you sucked out all the personality and warmth. lol

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never watch these shows but I might tune in occasionally if Goldblum was the lead.

7. bigdaddy

He was the lead every other episode this season, and next season he is definitely the lead. :lol:

8. Mr. Laser Beam

I guess I'm surprised that a famous film actor like D'Onofrio has agreed to do TV for this long. They must have gotten real lucky when they landed him.

I do miss that thing he used to do where he'd cock his head at weird angles when interrogating a suspect... :lol:

I also miss Alicia Witt. :drool: She was the only one who ever made Mike Logan look like the sensible partner!

9. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

CI took a very significant budget cut when it was shunted over to the USA Network. Keeping that in mind, it's expensive to keep a show on the air for eight years -- escalator clauses in actors' contracts call for yearly salary increases, union crew members' expenses go up, etc. Even though Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe weren't exactly household names when CI started, keeping them contracted for eight years gets pricey. (While D'Onofrio's well-publicized personal issues were part of the reason that the A/B detective split happened, the financial part of it was that Chris Noth was simply cheap at the time.) Same thing with a few years of Eric Bogosian.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole "shut it down, throw everything out, start over" thing that happened after Goldblum's first two or three episodes were in the can played a part in this, either.

bigdaddy is right about the Law & Order franchise in general, though: This is almost guaranteed to be Vanilla's final year on the air, given its budgetary woes and its move to the Friday night graveyard, and I don't think there's any chance of SVU continuing beyond the expiration of Meloni and Hargitay's contracts in two years.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Shows you how often I watch these shows.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Whatever happens to the broadcasts, I hope they step it way the fuck up in terms of DVD releases. SVU must be a huge hit in that regard, since now ALL of its seasons are out on DVD except for the current one. But the other shows? Glacially slow pace of release. L&O (prime) is in its 20th season on air, but only 6 seasons have made it to DVD. :mad: And CI has only four seasons out - 1, 2, 3 and 5.

12. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the first few seasons don't sell, they just won't release the rest of them. NYPD Blue didn't sell well so they stopped after two seasons initially, but then released the next two seasons after a long gap, and have since stopped again. I'm still upset that the third and final season of Once and Again isn't coming out.

13. Timby

Precisely the nuts and bolts of it. For whatever reason, Law & Order Vanilla DVDs have gone over, financially speaking, like a wet fart in church. I'm sure the entire series will be released eventually, but when that might be ... no one knows.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Guess it would be premature to hope for a Blu-Ray release. :lol:

(Well, except for SVU. If any L&O series makes it to Blu-Ray it will probably be that one. I wonder why SVU sold so much better than any of the other series....)

15. Timby

Since pretty much its second year or so, SVU has whupped the other two Law & Order programs in the ratings (contrast to Vanilla, which has languished in ratings for years, outside of Linus Roache's first -- NBC has kept it on the air largely as a courtesy to Dick Wolf, and because Wolf agreed to slash its budget a few years ago). It is by far the most popular of the Law & Order series, and a not insignificant part of that is due to it being a more traditional program, with deep characterizations, character-centric plots, occasional story arcs / recurring plotlines, and -- for a time, anyway -- the ever-important romantic tension between the leads. SVU has a huge female audience.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Which all used to be absolute anathema to the very concept of L&O.... :(

That was my favorite bit: L&O was absolutely character-proof - there *was* no characterization. That's why I liked it so much - the story was literally everything. If Mr. Spock was a TV show, he would be L&O.

And I still haven't forgiven CI for getting rid of the doink-doink and text captions. :mad:

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yep. This is why most shows that don't get cancelled tend to wrap up after 5 or 7 seasons, and why most of the shows that run longer are ones with heavy cast turnover (for instance, Smallville, beginning its 9th season tonight, has only two of its original leads remaining). This is why Power Rangers changes its entire cast on an annual basis.

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  19. Mr. Laser Beam

Hmmm. I always thought it was just because he didn't get on with Dick Wolf. Oh well, I liked Logan better on CI anyway. (One of the reasons I hope CI gets it in gear for DVD release, so they'll get to the Logan episodes...)

20. Timby

That was precisely it -- Noth was becoming incredibly popular, and a bit of it was starting to get to his head. Nothing insane, though -- I think he simply requested that his salary be put in line with Jerry Orbach's, and in the meeting with Wolf, he cited Logan's popularity with fans as a reason.

Wolf said, "Fuck you, this is my show and it's bigger than any actor. Go pound sand."