Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by F. King Daniel, May 15, 2012.

1. Vonotar

Vonotar Cadet Newbie

I just received my copy yesterday! The only nitpick I have is the stated location of James Kirk's birth. Seemed odd. Otherwise, I am very very happy to have something like this.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

What they say? If it's Riverside, Iowa, that is supposedly where Kirk Prime was born and even XI indicated he was raised there. Indeed, Riverside promotes themselves as the "future birthblace of Captain Kirk."

3. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

We love democracy; we love the Federation. Once this crisis has abated, we will lay down the powers you have given us! :p;)

(Sorry about that)

On a serious note, I wonder if Aennik Okeg will show up in the novel 'verse continuity? STO had a lot of homages to the novels, including Bacco as President, so I'd be interested to see if the novels reciprocate.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC from an interview I read with the author, the book says we was born in space, rather than fudging that the Kelvin was en route home and that Winona's labour was premature (caused by Nero's attack.)
    That stuff is implied in the script and said outright in Alan Dean Foster's novelization, but I guess the author just went with the simplest answer. Kirk is still from Iowa, even if he spent the first two or three days of life in space.

I guess the sign in Riverside is a continuity error :p

5. The Wormhole

Not really. The book isn't canon and therefore as far as canon is concerned there is no reason Kirk Prime can't be born in Riverside.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, there's no canonical mention of Riverside either (just of Iowa), so it's apocrypha vs. apocrypha. Canon doesn't come into it at all, unless some future screen production mentions Kirk Prime's birthplace specifically, which doesn't seem likely.

7. The Wormhole

How did the Riverside thing start anyway? Trek IV reveals Kirk is from Iowa, but why did Riverside end up with the sign? Obviously, it's considered legtimate enough since XI shows he was raised in Riverside.

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

The story I'd always heard is that the residents of Riverside just decided that it was true.

9. Deranged Nasat

I now have an urge to raise a plaque outside my home saying something along the lines of the following:

"FEDERATION HERITAGE SITE. In the year 2255, the first Nasat Ambassador to Earth will reside in the building to be built upon this very spot. Written records from the current denizen will inspire Her Excellency Ambassador C6 "Seasick" Yellow to found the Nasat-Human Siblinghood Association".

Come on, guys, give me some support here.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^That's right. From Memory Alpha:

From Starlog issue 112, November 1986, p. 14:
    So it's just something the folks of Riverside adopted and promoted, and the Trek community responded positively to it and it sort of became unofficial Trek lore. It was referenced in various tie-ins, and by now has become so accepted that the Iowa scenes in the 2009 movie were set in Riverside.

11. Deranged Nasat

Ah, okay. So I need Roddenberry's approval before my plaque is raised.

Fun fact: My sister was born the very night Roddenberry died. This means that either,

a) Roddenberry knew my sister was imminent and got out while he could, or

b) My sister is the reincarnation of Roddenberry.

If I go with b), will you accept her agreement as equal to Roddenberry's regarding my plaque?

12. Vonotar

Vonotar Cadet Newbie

I never realized the "born in Riverside" thing wasn't canonical. I humbly withdraw my earlier nitpick. :P

I really enjoyed reading this book. It has pride of place on my coffee table, stand and all. Some of the references in the bibliography were quite amusing. It reminded me of the Whorfin-class ships in Generations and the official list of shops and offices on DS9's Promenade. Good times.

13. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

David talked about why he did this when we interviewed him on Literary Treks.

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw that Amazon UK has another version of this listed, with a release date of October 2013 and a price of just £16.99!

15. sulfur

sulfur Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's (as best I can tell) just the book, with no extra trappings.

16. The Wormhole

It's also supposed to be a general release (meaning you'll be able to buy it in book stores).

17. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got a copy of this book and I really like the artwork and and how they wrote about the earth/Romulan wars in this book.:techman:I read the book in one day.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. They did the same thing with the similar Star Wars books, The Jedi Path and Book of Sith. They both came out with the big expensive version with case and extras, and then a few months later they released just the book at a price closer to the average hardcover. They also released E-book versions when the book only versions came out, so I'm really hoping this will be the case with Federation too.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope the "book-only" version is eventually released in Kindle format. Unfortunately Amazon doesn't list such an animal.

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The full edition is in bookstores, at least internationally. I bought mine in Sydney, Australia (thereby cancelling my original, several-times-delayed Amazon order) before Christmas, and I saw boxes stacked up in Forbidden Planet, London, just two weeks ago.