Can I suggest an Art Contest?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Frontier, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I see the contests that take place here, and I had an idea or two for them...

1. Stylize the TOS Bridge - the TOS Bridge is the definition of them all. So what would it look like in the Enterprise era? Or the TNG era? Or as a Cardassian or Klingon bridge?
    2. Update the original Enterprise - how would you create the Enterprise with the same elements in a 'modern' 24th century form?
    3. Alienize it - how would famed ships of Trek look like if other species made them? Galaxy-Class Klingon Cruiser? Defiant-Class Warbird? Cardassian Constitution-Class?

:D :thumbsup:

2. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Sounds like trying to imagine a Pontiac Mustang or a Messerschmidt Corsair. And just as problematic.

3. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

Not bad ideas, Frontier. I'd be curious to see some of those, as well. (Hell, I'd even be interested in seeing a Messerschmitt Corsair! Or a Messerschmitt Mustang, for that matter!! :thumbsup: )

4. FrontLine

FrontLine Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut Admiral

Ya know what Id love to see.. the interpertations of what everyone thinks the -Ds main shuttle bay or the "mall / promonade" looked like.

5. Sarek@Vulcan

Sarek@Vulcan Commander Red Shirt

I like your idea number 1 the best. What about contest in witch you would have to make a ship (interior or exterior) that is 50 years after ENT era and 50 years before TOS era. What you think of that ?

6. Frontier

I think SeanR did one of them, lol.

7. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I'm going to take Frontier's thread and co-opt it for the TrekArt forum; I hope you don't mind, Frontier ;).

Many times, the winners of the challenges may find themselves at a loss for ideas of what to do for the next challenge, which is normally their own choice and responsibility. Let's use this thread as a sort of "suggestion box," for legitimate ideas that anyone may use for future challenges in this forum. It's not a discussion thread, however; I don't want to see it bogged down by folks arguing about minutiae. If you have an idea, post it here, in a concise form but with as much applicable definition as you can conceive. If someone wins a challenge and is short on ideas for what to do next, they can look here and maybe find inspiration.

Please keep in mind when posting your ideas that they may not necessarily be taken up by anyone, and that someone who finds inspiration in your idea(s) may approach them differently, or even combine different ideas altogether, so if you have very specific ideas that you don't want to see altered, you may not wish to post them here.

Thanks, all, and go to it! :thumbsup:

8. Frontier

:thumbsup:

9. Andy S

Andy S Captain Captain

A couple of ideas I think'd make a good contest would be (bearing in mind outside of Photoshopping I have no artistic skills whatsoever):

- a real world Trek toy / merchandise; be it a 12" figurine, a model kit (for all those 3d modellers out there), a board game, plush toy, commemorative plate, whatever;

- "In the style of..." - a scene or a portrait either in the style of a famous artist (from any era up to present day) or emulating a specifc painting with Trek settings & characters.

Any use?

10. Stag

Stag Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, personally, I had a couple of ideas for contests-

-What would the TOS bridge look like if it was designed/built today

-Different federation warp nacelle designs over different eras (For those of us with engineering backgrounds that LOVE power :devil: )

-Support craft (shuttles, supply ships, tankers)

-orbital starbases

EDIT: one more - I'd like to see people's renderings of what they think Spock saw when he looked in his scanner in TOS.

11. Barbarossa Rotbart

Barbarossa Rotbart Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Here is my art idea:
    - How would TOS look like if it had been created today and not in the 1960s (Uniforms, Ship design, etc.)

12. Stag

Stag Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^yeah that would be interesting.

I would like to see alternate views of familiar sets on TREK. For example...in TOS a picture of the engine room from the reactor area behind the red grill looking out into the engine room.

13. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

One thing I've been wondering about, that I'd really like to see developed, is this...

In TNG and subsequent shows, the art department likes to redo the designs for the desktop computers on Federation ships... TNG computers looked one way, Voyager's looked another way, and DS9's looked another still. I'd like to see someone develop a NEW desktop computer, for the TNG time frame, that would be like a new standard... a design that looks specifically TNG, yet you could visualize seeing on any 24th cetury ship or base... basically, a fresh redesign of the computer.

14. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see some of the non-humanoids from the Star Trek books, or those only mentioned in the canon, brought to life.

15. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

In another lit-related vein, I'd like to see someone come up with a design of the Palais de la Concorde, the fifteen-story building in Paris along the Champs Elysse that houses the Federation Council, Federation President, and their staffs. It'd be really interesting to a see a design that tries to combine classical Greek/Roman-style governmental architecture with Vulcan, Andorian, and Tellarite styles.

16. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a non-3D artist, I would like to encourage contest ideas that don't necessarily involve making a spaceship or gizmo, which gives me no chance whatsover and I do not wish to embarass myself any more than strictly necessary. :D

I like this idea a lot:

I dibs: Andy Warhol style portrait of Dukat. He's such an egomaniac, I can just see him with that in his palace on Cardassia. Back when things were going well with the Dominion, that is...

I also like this one:

I've been thinking for a while what the Medusans might look like when they developed exoskeletons to let them interact better with Federation humanoids. Maybe I'll start working on that now, just in case...

17. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

We had an aliens contest in March, though it only got 3 entries, which I happen to have saved as I almost had to post the poll...

the winner:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and mine:

[​IMG]

18. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Nice, what's the wogneer creature from?

After another visit to the Trek Lit Forum, I'm only more interested in seeing characters from the lit or only mentioned in the canon. There are half a dozen lit series going on now, and hundreds of characters & species yet to be visualised.

Weekly Trek's gone and movies in the distant...distance. Let's see some new faces. That is, if they have faces.

19. The Axeman

The Axeman Commodore Commodore

I'm guessing they'd be 99% human with a weird forehead/nose/eyebrow.

20. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

How about a look at Starfleet robots? I realize that we never really saw such (mostly because of budgetary restrictions), but I find it inconceivable that with all of the technology they have in that time, there seem to be no robots performing dangerous or tedious tasks, or even simply filling roles that even the least-ambitious person might find either demeaning or just plain boring. Where are the mining 'bots, the waiter-bots (an android would be overkill for such a task, don't you think?), the space-borne construction 'bots, the surgical 'bots?

Just a thought :borg:.