(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I loved Pearson's reaction to the goal!

2 million for Green is a heck of a return on a player signed for free, but I really wouldn't want to lose either him or Addison, also I thought you couldn't be transfered twice in a season, or does the fact that he was a bosman screw with that?

Kaspar Schemical...dunno about that, I guess that means selling either Carroll or--more likely--Bywater.

2. dubliner2009

dubliner2009 Cadet Newbie

I wonder if im the only in in europe who think that soccer its not football but soccer is the most borning game you can watch. The only sport I watch is GAA that real football and hurling. The greatest thing I know is in Croke Park when the Dublin football team run out. Its cant explain it just pure magic playing for the shirt and their county not for any huge unwordly wages. What I cant understand is why are these players payed so mush its crazy there is no player out there who is worth the kind of money some olayers are no. The best champion league final for me a final with no british team.

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I'm not going to tell you what to like and dislike, but this is a thread for fans of Association Football and as such I would ask you to show the same respect to us.

Going by your rank, I sincerely hope that you did not sign up for this board just to tell us that we're calling the sport by the wrong name (we aren't by the way, you are), that players are paid too much (football is a massive business, perhaps we should give the money to shareholders and chairmen instead) and that Champions League finals are better with no British teams in them (Liverpool vs AC Milan 2005).

4. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Well, they are paid what they are worth; football is a competitive market and good players are in a strong position to negotiate their contracts. They also generate a lot of money for their employers - tv contracts, merchandising, sponsorship, etc....

And that said, compared to other professional sports, football players are not that rich.

5. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not entirely sure how that works. He signed in the summer before the season began, perhaps that explains it.

Personally, I'd keep him. One of our better performers, and I'm not sure who we have to replace him if he went. Any sort of replacement that we buy would undoubtedly cost us just as much so not much point really.

The other rumour doing the rounds is that Forest are after Bywater and Clod.

Dublin football team? What minority sport is this in? You say football, is it really? Or is it like 'American' football, which is predominantly played with 'hands'...?

Most entertaining CL final in recent memory? Oh yeah, Milan vs Liverpool.....

6. dubliner2009

dubliner2009 Cadet Newbie

Yes football is played with hands and feet its a lot faster than soccer and more tough. As for hurling it is the fastest field sport in the world. The best cl final for me was Milan v Liverpool in 2006 was Crete at the time. But the best soccer match i ever seen was in Euro88 when we beat England 1-0 with a Ray Houghton goal in the 6th min. Im from the Rep Of Ireland.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, we worked that out from your username.

Football (and that's what the sport is called whether you like it or not, anything else calling itself "football" is acting fraudulently) is a game of skill, not kicking the crap out of your opponents.

If you enjoy an alternative form of sport that's good for you, but, again, this thread is for the discussion of Football in Europe.

8. Angel4576

Really? That was a sh*t game that involved Ireland scoring one against the run of play and then clinging on for the rest of the game.

Personally, as far as great games go, you can't beat the '66 World Cup final. That's why we've got a gold star on our shirts.....and you don't.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Ah cadets got to love them...This thread is for people who like Football/Soccer (the one with a ball and 22 players).

BTW the rule is cannot play for 3 clubs in one season so if you leave before Pre season begins then you can be sold the following January by hte club who brought you that summer. (since you will only have offical played for 2 clubs).

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ha ha, discussion closed...although wasn't the Republic's best manager actually an Englishman who'd won the world cup? Bless they obviously needed a little help ;)

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Damn game's off due to Cardiff's frozen pitch.

12. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I was walking out of the door to get the train at 1 when I heard. It'll get put as a midweek fixture now and I won't be able to go :(

At least someone else will suffer at your hands now and you can get the NMS out of your system. I was really looking forward to today though.

The worst part is it's not even that cold down here today!

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah shame but at least gives Nigel a week to get used to the players. I do think it's unfair to leave the decision till midday, most Derby fans would have left home before then.

14. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Even worse if you're a Blackburn travelling supporter. They called that off at about 1.45 if not later!

edit: oh I APPROVE of that avatar Starkers. I know she's known now for Silent Witness but I still think of her as that harlot who tempted Jeff away in Coupling!

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah yes, Wilma Lettings...you're an idiot Jeff!!

Pretty sure it was Randall and Hopkirk that first got her on my radar though.

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

ho ho ho, Forest beats another relegation rival and now jumps above Norwich to 20th. PS - When we win that doesn't mean Doncaster & Saints are allowed to get points too :lol:

Good start Davies but his big test will be his 1st HOME GAME and Derby were behind youuuuu :p and getting closer.

Also bloody hell CHELSEA got thumped :eek:

17. Angel4576

No worries Mark. We're used to that..... :lol:

My understanding was that you were a bit fortunate. Had Charlton shown a bit more composure in front of goal they could have been out of sight before you scored.

Irrespective, after beating the world champions, Forest will be swatted aside! :p

Got my tickets for Old Trafford at the weekend, we could be taking up to 15,000 for the second leg. Amazing!

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

19. Angel4576

Don't know if it's wishful thinking or not, but the rumours here are suggesting that you're interested in signing Claude Davis. If it helps, I'd be prepared to drive him to the City Ground myself......

Earnshaw will need to keep scoring otherwise he'll be on the bench again. Billy's not a great fan of him and will most likely just look for an excuse not to play him.

If previous experience is anything to go by then Billy's top priority at the moment will most likely be to identify and capture a capable target man, a la, Stevie Howard.

All jesting aside, Billy will keep you safe, but get ready for some awful football. He's done the same at Derby and Preston previously. It's a compromise of sorts, you get results, but you'll not enjoy it while you're getting them. In our promotion campaign we saw some of the worst 'football' I can ever remember. Honestly, we've been relegated playing better football than that. However, it WAS effective.

Should make the Cup and League games a bit more interesting anyway. Sadly in recent years, and not to recent tbh, the east-midlands derbies have tended to be one-sided, ie. you've been far better than us, or vice versa. At the moment, it doesn't look like there's a great deal between us, which I'm sure, the great man would have approved of.

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Mark I love how your sig is all about people not giving MAtt Smith a chance, meanwhile all I hear is you being down on Davies...that's funny :lol:

I think its a safe bet Billy will sign some solid gritty midfielders for you (Expect Pearson and Oakly at a guess) Maybe he's buried the hatchet with Earnshaw, maybe he'll be happier using him at this level, or maybe he's just biding his time...