Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, and opinions like these are the reasons why mediocre work like the HD transfer of Season 2 passes the quality test and is released on the marked

1. "This will be final. Making it better is too expensive."
    2. "They dont mind and will buy it anyway." (they = the consumers)

2. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

But Mr. Okuda told me on twitter that the S2 VFX quality was excellent, so it must be true, right? ;)

I know he probably didn't want to say anything critical about work his old friends were involved with..and I respect that, but man...excellent is way off the mark.

3. Salinga

Opinions are often very closely related to interests - social, cultural and financial interests. Often an opinion doesnt state the truth, it just states the interests of a person and the interests of the group the person is associated with and needs to stay associated with.

4. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Okudas want this project to be successful, and they are currently still employed by CBS to oversee the rest of the project. They certainly aren't going to say something negative about the quality of the product because they want people to go out and buy it. They want the fans to enjoy it. I'm sure the Okudas respect Dan Curry and aren't going to say anything bad about him.

CBS isn't going to say anything negative about the work Curry and HTV have done, either, for the very same reasons. Pulling HTV off of the project was done quietly and with no comment. We can read between the lines but I doubt anyone will go on record to say that the quality of season 2 sucks. It's obvious that CBS learned a lesson with this project, and they are going to strive to ensure that there will be greater consistency moving forward. That's all we can hope for at this point.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

If CBS ensures the quality and consistency of the remaining seasons, and indeed, DS9 and VOY's probable/possible HD releases in the future - I can see TNG season 2 getting the dubious honour of being forever labelled (from a VFX perspective) as the "season that sucked" or some such pithy phrase.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Let's hope so.

I hate to say it, but if it takes season 2 of TNG to be a big learning experience for them so that 3-7 and DS9 don't get effed up, so be it.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Would you feel the same way if season two was your favorite season of Modern Trek?

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Of course not. I didn't choose for this season to get messed up y'know. And there's no guarantee other seasons won't get screwed up too. But it's too depressing to consider that just now. I haven't gotten over this disappointment yet.

My fallback continues to be, at least it's still better than the DVDs. Hugely so.

9. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

Well, it was a tough decision, but I canceled my preorder yesterday before Amazon shipped it. I'll definitely be buying season three.

10. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, after much thought I just cancelled my order through Amazon. I'll likely still purchase it, but I'll wait to see if Best Buy or another retailer offers it cheaper than the $87 it was going to cost through Amazon with release-day delivery. I thought I heard BB was going to have it for $65 next week.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. Just as I figured, the colors are washed out on Season 2. That's what I found a little distracting when I was at the screening.

12. Salinga

13. Salinga

I tried to fix it a little by myself, but of course it cannot hold up to the work of CBS-D:

[​IMG]

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Nice catch!

The ad for next week is at the top of the page. TNG season two is under the second Movie/Music spoiler, on the far right at the top.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=6802829&postcount=1

15. Salinga

16. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm torn on the whole "boycotting" idea. On one hand, I understand why people might be less than thrilled that CBS outsourced the season 2 remastering work to HTV and allowed inferior work to be done. But based on the reports, HTV will no longer be affiliated with this project. CBS has already learned the lesson. They apparently have acknowledged their mistake. We don't need to boycott in an attempt to get the studio's attention - it sounds like they already got the message. Also, I want this project to be financially successful because that's the only way we'll get this kind of extensive treatment for DS9 or VOY down the road. If the TNG Blu-ray releases don't do well, they won't waste the time or the money to tackle DS9 next.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

It will be hard for me to boycott this set because the special features are up to the Season 1 standards, and that's one of the reasons I have to buy the set. Unless you can get the special features without getting the set, I'm still going to get this.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I'm starting to wonder if all the talk about "honoring the original style" and "recreating the experience" was just a way to head off some of the criticism they knew would be coming....

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if soft sales figures for one season out of seven -- a season which led CBS to fire the associated effects house, no less -- will have a significant impact on whether the next two series are remastered in HD.

Personally, I'm not buying this season at the moment, but it is on my list for Xmas. I doubt that an internet-organized boycott would have much effect on sales numbers; nor do I expect CBS to offer replacement discs for this set like they did on season one. I'm not going to spend $75 on it though, and I'm glad HDV-Illuminate was sacked so they can't mess up further releases.

20. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The same things were said when CBS-D was working on season 1.

CBS-D used it as a challenge. HTV used it as an excuse.

I'd love to know CBS-D's reaction to the season 2 work, but I guess because of NDAs etc., we won't ever know the dirt.