FX/editing wishlist/technical/related discussion for STNG-R

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, May 11, 2011.

1. Trekker82

Trekker82 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

I agree. IMO, the only thing that should be tweaked is cleaning up the PQ a bit and updating the planetary shots (they are too blurry but keep the original ship shots) and replace the matte shots with something animated, similar to TOS-R.

2. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm in favor of replacing the ship shots wholesale just because there is so little variety in them

3. Trekker82

Trekker82 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm not sure if Ent-E was CGI, but it looked great in First Contact, if they could design Ent-D in similar quality but retaining all of it's configuration as the original I'd be fine. What I mean is that if you look at the CG for NCC-1701 in TOS-R the look has a toy type feel to it.

4. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

If I remember correctly there was one shot of Enterprise orbiting a planet "upside down" meaning her ventral surface was facing the planet. More angles of the ship in different orbital positions could help to add variety. The ship orbiting nose down to the planet might provide a good one off view of orbit.

5. Herbert1

Herbert1 Captain Captain

^The special effects shots in Star Trek: First Contact of the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701-E use the model.

6. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Indeed I'm not usually too happy about the CGI vs Models debate (There's good and bad of both types so to decry the worst of one while boosting up the bestof the other isn't fair imo) but for me the Enterprise-E in First Contact is my outright favourite ship in Trek, just gorgeous.
    Yet by the time Nemesis rolls around, its lost something, and I can't quite place what that is....

(Not to mention the outright ruining of the classic TNG warp effect in that movie. Going to warp gives off smoke as if a steam train were leaving the station? WHAT? :rofl: )

Am I imagining things? Did I remember reading a Drexfile or something like that where they admitted they slightly changed the dimensions or am I just going crazy?

7. Mike Ram

Mike Ram Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They added/modified some bits (and added a bunch of extra weapons) for Nemesis:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/sovereign.htm

Personally, I hope they use the model shots as much as possible, as CGI ships just don't look as "real" and lack the "weight" that models have.

8. Tylervo

Tylervo Guest

I would love to see all of TNG look like it did in "Generations" but more specifically, I want to see more people and aliens on the Enterprise. I think the Ten-Forward scene in TNG looked really great and so maybe adding more background characters would make the show more interesting, visually.

9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

A lot of the model shots will have to go, but I hope they can keep some and where necessary digitally change other elements of the shots.

Planets and planetscapes will need to be redone (to prevent them from looking like a soundstage). More variety of ships is required, and (possibly unpopularly) it needs to be widescreen.

With new effects and exterior shots that's no problem. For the other shots, CGI could generate extra 'width' to the left, right or both sides of the image, and where not possible, slight stretching of the outside edge of the picture would limit the amount needed to be cut off the top and bottom to make it widescreen.

Yeah, yeah - I know. Heresy, but to sell on Bluray, average punters will want it to look current, and that means widescreen...

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Don't hold your breath on the planet sets being redone...way too much work in the time they likely have.

Same with 16:9..probably won't happen.

RAMA

11. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't see why it would be that much more difficult than what they did on TOS-R. Especially now that they know how to do it. If it's a schedule thing, I doubt they're gonna do the "work on one episode, release it, work on another for next week" thing this time.

12. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

That's not really an issue for most of the planet-based episodes though. Later shots looked pretty decent or were actually shot outside.

Maybe he's thinking about the season 1 "generic purple sky alien planet" set.

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Crewmembers aren't visual effects. They're not going to digitally insert new crewmembers into scenes a la the Star Wars rereleases.

14. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

They did with TOS.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

One time, with one guy, and it was a tiny shot of the bridge bubble, not like full-sized people in Ten-Forward.

16. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Should the CGI visual FX of TNG-R have some lens flare of the space exterior shots?
    Should they also include some halo effects near the nacelle engines like Trek XI?
    After seeing the special features on the Blu-ray of Trek XI I'd think that it add something and that thinking back on ENT visual FX that they could have added some halo & distortion to them too.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Not necessary :lol: Hell if they want to throw in a lens flare or two why not.

18. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Data, you are the bird".

19. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Here's a question- should space look more like, well, space? I know we're trained by tv to think that space is actually just a smattering of stars, but that's actually not the case at all- if you're ever star-gazed in an area with little light pollution (my most vivid memory of doing so is in the South Island of NZ) you'll realize that space is actually PACKED with stars, nebula- even other galaxies are visible! And this is from Earth, where there is atmosphere and ambient light diffusing everything. It must look totally nuts when you're actually IN space.

Problem with doing this for the exterior shots means they'd really have to do it for all the interior shots, as well- although I suppose there is a lot of ambient light inside to diffuse everything.

20. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Well today is the rumoured announcement day, I will be refreshing the newsfeeds regularly until I see the annoucement! If your favourite news site crashes then it might be because of me pressing F5!

I hope we get a screencap or clip!