Berman-era v. TOS Pacing: What do you think?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by plynch, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Bad Atom

Bad Atom Commodore Commodore

Aaaaaand there goes my night. Very interesting site!

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recall reading that they built the Enterprise as one massive set at Sony Studios specifically because Abrams wanted continuous shots of the characters walking through the ship. In ST'09 not only were all the rooms separate, but they only had one length of corridor - when Chekov runs from the bridge to the transporter, he goes down their one hallway twice.

3. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did they rebuild the sets, even knowing there would be a sequel after JJ1?

4. F. King Daniel

Yep, it was all taken apart and put in storage. I imagine renting sound stages isn't cheap - and it was a three-year gap between movies.

It'll all be moved and set up elsewhere for Star Trek XIII - as a cost-saving measure (to the tune of about $20 million) they're going to film somewhere other than California.

5. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

Except for the engine room. They'll go back to some cheap-ass-looking brewery for all of those shots.

6. F. King Daniel

Both the Budweiser brewery (engineering) and NIF fusion facility (warp core, shuttlebay) were in California. Wherever they film in the next movie, the Enterprise's extensive refit at the end of ID should cover any discontinuities.

7. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

Very true; the refit can be used to explain why the Budweiser brewery is suddenly configured like a Schlitz Malt Liquor brewery, for example.

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

They could also do a few days in California if they really want to keep the location; that won't affect the budgetary gains of moving the vast majority of principal photography elsewhere.

Or they could just find another, similar brewery wherever they go.

9. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Our Fair City (Escanaba, MI) we will soon have an auxiliary of Bell's Brewery called Upper Hand Brewery. (The Upper Peninsula is the top hand when we Michiganders show Others where we live.) I therefore invite the producers of that most excellent forthcoming production, Star Trek Into Wilderness, to scout it as a possible engine room location. I will treat you to pasties (/pass-teez/, meat pie, not the stripper garb) followed by a sauna. (Pronoinced sow-na FYI by the Finns).

Live Long and Sweat.