The changes in the Enterprise-D bridge in Generations...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Lance, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Pretty sure they wanted to put the stations on the sides of the bridge from Day 1 but it was Gene who said no.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It was the budget that said no. But I always thought the 'fewer stations/less cluttered' look made the Enterprise-D bridge the most advanced looking of them all. :shrug:

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It was either Gene or Bob Justman.

The problem with the extra bridge stations is that you need people to man them. That means hiring non-speaking extras to stand around and look busy during shots. That costs the production money. So the bridge side stations were nixed as a money-saving move.

That's why I think it was a Bob Justman move.

4. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Except the movie was in 2.35:1

Thomas Doherty once wrote that submarine movies are made for widescreen, and I think the same is usually true for starships (though I'd make an exception for the DARK STAR.)

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The bridge didn't have extra stations because they didn't want a bridge full of control consoles. It was the whole "technology unchained" idea: with all the high tech, you don't need a bunch of people sitting at stations all day. The rear stations were they for the odd times they wanted/needed them. It wasn't a matter of money, 4x3 considerations or whatever else you want to invent.

And you don't need a wide set to shoot widescreen, you just have to know how to frame a shot.

jaime, drt and STEPhon IT like this.
  6. wingsabre

wingsabre Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I understand the whole technology unchained concept since the bridge crew felt a lot smaller, and for the most part Riker and Troi never had an official station. They just sat there and advised for the most part. Troi was counselor, and theoretically communications, but Worf handled hailing. So overall, the most vital sections on the bridge were Ops, Security, and Helm. The design was appropriate for that.

However I think it was not that pragmatic of a design. There's been so many episodes where Data was in the rear section, and had to turn around to either talk to the captain, or view the view screen. When Gordi goes on the bridge, he would transfer controls to that stations. The rear stations looked like they were designed to be axillary stations or multipurpose stations. Additionally, half the bridge was higher than the captain's chair, requiring most major battle scenes to be done with Picard standing. It was a huge blind spot. Yes for filming, standing automatically implies more action, however from a pragmatic perspective it was needed to allow Picard a greater view of the bridge and stations to assess the situation. You could contrast that with TOS bridge, Voyager's bridge, Ent-E's bridge or the Defiant's bridge where the captains could assess thing easily while on their chair. Moving science, engineering and communications to the sides and elevating the captain's chair makes sense because it's a more efficient design. The back stations could simply be axillary and they don't have to have extras for that. That's how they handeled the bridge on Voyager and the subsequent Ent-E.

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Is it really necessary for a captain to see every station on the bridge? Kirk's bridge allowed him to do that, but that may have been more of a luxury than an absolute necessity. I think on some real navy ships, the captain's chair is at the front of the bridge with various stations behind it.

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Framing Worf in was hard even in 4:3. I'm kinda surprised they didn't wind up dutching low-angle shots past Picard looking up at him. Ideally, they should have built a little sinkhole for him to stand in to bring him down in the frame (especially given the actor's height.)

9. wingsabre

It's not really necessary for a captain to see every station on the bridge, but it's more efficient, more pragmatic. I never said the changes were necessary, just said the changes to the bridge made sense because it was more pragmatic.

10. wingsabre

The captain's chair was also set several feet below where Worf stood.

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

That's what I mean, you needed a drop to plop Worf into so he wasn't this big vertical crossbar at odds with 4:3 framing (unless you're 4:3 IMAX with the '4' being the vertical dimension rather than the horizontal one.)

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Not really. It truly is more of luxury than a necessity. The more important thing is for a bridge station to be within earshot of a captain.
    It's not even pragmatic. It's just something some fans are used to seeing from TOS.

13. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I rather liked the movie bridge myself. On widescreen, it was probably thought that the mostly empty design wouldn't film well. I seem to remember a documentary well they had to tell Frakes and Stewart to not stand so close to one another, which they had to do for TV.

Lance likes this.
  14. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree, the GENERATIONS 1701-D Bridge-revisions looked great on screen. :luvlove: I also liked the Stellar Cartography set.

15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed seeing Stellar Cartography. In the big scheme of things, though, I wish they had spent more resources on making a better story.

Kor

In_Correct and Galileo7 like this.
  16. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It seems the upgrade for the 1701 D bridge was done so the filmmakers could produce the crash scene more dramatically. The whole redress wasn't necessary especially when they decided to dim the lighting making it harder to see the stuff that was done.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  17. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting to see this topic pop up again, as I was only thinking about the GENS bridge the other day. :)

Yeah, I do kind of feel this point of view. 1701-D's bridge was meant to be 'technology unchained' or whatever it was Gene Roddenberry called it, but the GENS revamp almost goes too far to the other extreme and makes things look ridiculously busy.

Of course, the real-life reason was that the Engineering set often got redressed as regular corridors and other things (eg. the Gym), which necessitated wheeling out the 'pool table' and pulling the 'plugs' out of the walls. Voila, instant corridors. It is weird how the carpet flows into the wall sections when it's been dressed up as engineering, but it's really only because those wall sections sometimes need to be removed for filming purposes, and it'd look odd if the wall plugs weren't there but the carpet pattern ended at them.

18. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of course, if Starfleet in-universe decided it needed to add new hardware in the form of ugly plugs, rather than aesthetically pleasing ones, it wouldn't bother to change the carpet, either...

Timo Saloniemi

19. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Another Necro-thread returns from the dead!

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

This thread is YEARS old. The moderators prefer us not to wake the dead but start a new thread. If it's over a year since the last reply, best let it lie. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.