Amy Poehler watched DS9... on marijuana...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DS9forever, Dec 31, 2014.

1. JeffinOakland

JeffinOakland Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

dunno..Wesley's such a do-gooder. Most characters are too "by the books" uptight. l'd guess Bashir. Or maybe Rom and Leeta sharing a bowl after a long day.

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

This thread is making me wish they had done a marijuana scene in TNG. Maybe at one of Riker's poker games, everyone sitting around the table getting high and starting to giggle and laugh at random and nonsensical things. And Data is just sitting there getting increasingly confused and perplexed which just makes everyone else laugh even harder.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I don't see many Star Trek characters having smoked marijuana any later than high school. Successful Starfleet officers need to be driven, also it's probably strictly against the rules to be impaired any time you may need to be on duty. Also none of my experiences around people who are high have been very pleasant ones. Maybe synthabbis.

Riker and Bashir probably used mind altering drugs on Risan vacations.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

What do you think the Benzites were really inhaling from those devices...?

5. Horizons96

Horizons96 nel blu Red Shirt

^^ This made me LOL because it's just so true.

I agree that watching Trek after having a smoke is par for the course. In fact since 1996 when I was 15 the ritual was that I would walk up to the local video shop (which was the only one around that had EVERY SINGLE Trek on VHS - literally a whole wall devoted to it), and have a couple of pipes in the park on the way then come home and watch. Now I'm 33, hardcore back into Trek, reliving the ritual of the same video shop, same park on the way ;) and this time wearing a QMx Voy/DS9 Starfleet communicator badge.

Sometimes I wonder if the hard-working and straight ideals of Starfleet are compatible with a stoner lifestyle, I mean if everyone building Earth's (and the eventual Federation) future sat around smoking weed then not much would get done unfortunately, but on the flipside it takes those who see things from a different, open and fresh perspective (ie smokers) to be able to envision the kind of possibilities featured in Trek.

Trek (and bong) on.

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe by the 24th century they're smoking synthejuana. Knocks you on your ass but you can clear your head in 2 seconds.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

And none of that "muchies" business afterwards.

8. JirinPanthosa

I dunno, I've met a lot of stoners who think they're more creative when they're stoned and none who actually are.

9. The Old Mixer

I wouldn't think that it holds true for everyone, but the guys in my avatar (including the one who wasn't in the scenes filmed that day) did their most legendary work during their marijuana and LSD phases.

10. JirinPanthosa

The Beatles were creative people who happened to get high a lot. :) They started using marijuana and LSD at around the same time they decided to break from their image created by the record company and around the same time they were influenced by their trip to India.

11. The Old Mixer

The trip to India was later...they mostly got off LSD while there, IIRC. A rough breakdown....

Marijuana: Help!, Rubber Soul

LSD: Revolver, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Magical Mystery Tour, new songs from the Yellow Submarine soundtrack

India: The Beatles (The White Album--they literally wrote the bulk of the album's material while there)

It's well documented that they got high while spending their increasingly long and odd hours in the recording studio...so it's not like they were just toking up in their spare time.

12. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And before that: Prellies in the Hamburg days.

13. The Old Mixer

More relevant to the specific topic...a recent commercial has Amy's cohort Tina Fey sniffing dryer sheets for comedy-writing inspiration. There's probably a grain of truth behind that.

14. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Sniffing dryer sheets? Seems like a Weyoun thing.

15. Shon T'Hara

Shon T'Hara Commander Red Shirt

They should do a That 70s Show reunion where the characters spark up for old times sake, and Erik imagines everyone as TNG characters. (Fez would be Data, of course.)

16. JirinPanthosa

In that case it seems like their most heralded music was written under LSD, not marijuana. :)

Correlation does not imply causation. Being good at making music gives you better access to mind altering drugs, mind altering drugs do not make you better at making music. Clinical studies testing the relationship between drugs and creativity show that when you are high, creativity stays about equal but technical prowess diminishes.