Mr Data

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Taylirious, Jun 18, 2014.

1. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

^ Well-mentioned. When Data asserts his sentience and viability in comparison to biological officers, it's refreshing. He says "I'm different from you, but by golly I earned this', which is something I think a lot of us humans can relate to.

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's honestly my favorite part of the whole story, & it's a great story otherwise. I think it was the best opportunity they ever had to address every issue that people might think Data would have with commanding

I think it also says something about his character too, in that when understanding social concepts is demanded of him, he rises to the challenge, as opposed to when it's more optional, like in learning how to participate in humor

It shows that in some ways, Data is more than he gives himself credit for, because when he's properly motivated, he doesn't have the kind of bungling failures he seems to have relating to people, when there is only peripheral motivation

As soon as he knows he has no wiggle room for self doubt, he demonstrates total competency. We've seen that numerous times over the course of the show. Peak Performance, Ensigns of Command, etc...

3. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

I just re-watched Thine Own Self and I was wrong. I think this is a good Data ep.

I'm going to re-watch the Data time traveling ep part 1.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

If you think about it, this is sort of like saying a person who's mentally disabled isn't a real person. Just a comment on how easily we can say things we don't intend, and how people can be judged because they're 'different', it doesn't need a defense. ;)

5. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

The Most Toys.

6. ReadyAndWilling

I liked this as well!

Is PenPals a good Data ep?

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Picard gets really, really mad at him, if that counts.

8. ReadyAndWilling

Yah, it wasn't a great Data ep...

I'm trying to find good Data eps from season 1 and 2...

9. Mojochi

Well, The Measure Of A Man is his best of season 2, but there's also Elementary Dear Data & The Schizoid Man

He's also heavily featured in Peak Performance & The Royale. Sadly, season 1 only has one Data centered episode, Datalore

10. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

"In Theory" Data's attempt at a relationship.

11. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

Data has a good rapport with children (I can think of four seperate occurences, off the top of my head). Much better than Picard's at any rate.

12. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

And cats. Don't forget the cats. I use the plural because apparently Spot is not always the same cat.

Odo seems to have the same effect on children as Data. Perhaps it's because they are both essentially children in adult roles themselves.

We actually don't see much of Picard with kids, with the exception of 'Disaster', in which I think he does a pretty darn good job. Picard's problem with children is pretty much self-realized, he tends to have positive effects on almost everyone he encounters, even Q. Nechayev may be an exception, but I always got the impression that after dealing with Picard, she goes home, draws a bubble bath, lights some lilac candles and relaxes with some pleasant thoughts.

13. Kobayshi Maru

Nor the same sex.

14. Mojochi

Data looks at life in a childlike way, another reason someone might think he'd be ill-equipped to command, like he'd be a simpleton or something, but I don't believe that myself. Picard has years of being a leader, or making mistakes he regrets, for him to have that kind of perspective. In fact, I think children remind him of how clueless & naive he used to be, which may be the source of his unease around them

OK... Memory exercise time. Trying to remember the 4 episodes you claimed Data connects with kids

Hero Worship (obviously)
    Pen Pals
    Thine Own Self

Aaaaaaannnnd........ Uhhhhh....... Hmmmmmm....
    That Ba'Ku kid in Insurrection thought he was kind of neat..... But probably not him... Well, maybe it is, because you said occurrences instead of episodes.

Uhhh... Young Wesley seemed to like him. Of course his daughter, but I doubt those count

Meh... Must be the Ba' Ku kid

15. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

YOU'RE NOT MY MOTHER!!!

:lol:

It's not my favorite Data episode, but it has a couple of my favorite Data moments.

16. Mojochi

In Theory is a good episode. The actress rubbed me wrong though or annoyed me somehow. It may have been purposeful, trying to make her seem unbalanced or emotionally unstable, which would explain why she blindly rebounded with an emotionless android to begin with. If that was the intention, I'd think more people would've given Data a warning similar to Troi's .

Best line evaaar.... Picard: I would be delighted to offer you any insight I have on understanding women......... As soon as I have some, I'll let you know.

17. Kobayshi Maru

You got them. Hero worship, Pen Pals, Thine Own self and the Ba'ku kid. He was very good each time.

I must say, I am a little disappointed, I was hoping I had left out at least one.

18. Kobayshi Maru

It reminds me of Sam's line in Cheers: "How many do you have to sleep with to understand... ONE?"