Hon, make me a sandwich

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Alidar Jarok, Sep 26, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well if you read the article, it implies that the man spends more time in the Kitchen. If it works for them then good luck to them.

Though would we be having this debate if the roles where reversed and it was the female that said you are 300 sandwichs away from an engagement ring?

2. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I am not sure, being not much of a sandwich eater myself. I'd rather have a man take me in his arms when I am frustrated, tired or sad than having him make me a sandwich.
    Anyone who reduces a relationship to getting a meal has imo no idea of the real values in life. The point of a relationship is to stand together and share life, not just a piece of bread.

3. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Saying he reduced their relationship to a meal seems like a bit of a stretch. From the article:

This just sounds like a playful quip he made after she thoughtfully made him a great sandwich.

And her reaction:

This just seems like a bit of harmless fun if you ask me.

4. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Yeah, I'm on the side of, "it's a joke and she took him at his word. Now it's really funny."

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or maybe it's just a -really- good sandwich... I'm kinda curious now. :p

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, I interpreted it as mote of a tongue-in-cheek sort of joke. Maybe they already had some plans to get married in a year, he figures she makes him a sandwich a day so, hey she's 300 sandwiches away from being a wife.

I dunno, seems like they have a good relationship and his comment wasn't intended to be demeaning or "wife get in the kitchen and make me a sammich!" just a joke.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What if 150 sandwiches in she gets totally sick of it and the next 150 sandwiches are baloney on white bread.

8. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Not being stupid myself, I will point out that you're blaming the victims. Yes, we women sometimes feed into or go along with sexism, but we are not the cause of it. Never were, never will be.

9. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Toss me on that pile. Reminds me of the looks me and the wife get when we're goofing around with each other. Actually freaked her aunt out big time cause we were kidding around on Facebook, and she took us seriously--another reason I got real selective with Facebook about who can and can't see my posts. Some of it is pretty tactless at times, but that comes from knowing each other for so long and knowing the line we don't cross with each other.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And let me just say that, having met the lovely TZ in person, I'd totally make her 300 sammiches if asked. ;)

Sure, my total lack of cooking ability dictates that they'd all be grilled cheese or PB&J, but it's the thought that counts, innit? :angel:

11. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Sounds like we do about the same amount of cooking! ;)

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Ok...we'll go out for crab cakes 300 times then? :D

13. Kommander

Kommander Commodore Commodore

People have some strange ideas about what sexism is. As much as I hate the expectation of adherence to traditional gender roles, I don't see what the problem is if one chooses to adhere to those roles. If a man expects his wife or girlfriend to make sandwiches for him because she is a woman and a woman's place is in the kitchen, that would be sexist. However, this does not mean it's sexist every time a woman does something in a kitchen. If I knew this woman, I'd ask her to make me a sandwich as well. Not because she's a woman and she should be making sandwiches, but because it looks like she makes really awesome sandwiches and I would very much like to try one. She enjoys making sandwiches for her boyfriend, he enjoys eating them. That's not sexism, that's compatibility.

Recently, my room mate has been spending a good amount of time with a former co-worker, and it seemed like she got the impression that I don't like her, which is understandable. He and I have an understanding about women we both may be interested in, but that understanding is as of yet untested so I'm cautious. I kept my distance. I talked to her only as much as being polite required, the other day when they made plans to go to dinner I declined when she asked me to go along. I was partially doing this out of habit. Most of my male friends get all pissy and accuse me of trying to "steal" their girlfriends if I show any interest in them as a person. My roommate is different (i.e.: not severely insecure) so I decided it would be okay if I stopped acting so coldly toward her. She left her bike the night before, and I'd noticed it could use some routine maintenance. So I did it. I figured she'd realize that I wouldn't fix her bike for her if I didn't like her, so it seemed like a simple way to send the message. That, and she's smart and really pretty and thinks I'm funny and I want her to like me. Sometimes she does things like buy coffee for me when she's on her way over or bakes cookies and gives them to me so if I do things for her maybe she'll continue to bring me coffee and baked things, if she thinks I don't like her she'll probably stop. Also, my room mate told me yesterday he's only interested in her platonicly so keeping my distance at first turns out to have been even stupider than I originally thought.

Anyway, my point. Was fixing her bike sexist? Had I been thinking "women don't know how to fix things, she needs a man to do it for her" it would have been. I was thinking "if she knew how to maintain her bike, she would have done it already." I would have made the same assumption if it was a man's bike. It turns out that she didn't know how to fix her bike, and thought it was really awesome that I did it. it doesn't matter that the outward appearance of the situation hinted at possible sexism. If she asks me to fix something in the future, would that be sexist? If she's thinking "he's a man and a man's place is fixing things" it would be. However, she'd probably ask me because I've demonstrated some proficiency at fixing things and also my room mate told her I'm good at fixing things. If she expects my room mate to fix something because he's a man that would be sexist. He is not good at fixing things, and that would end badly for everyone.

I just remembered a tongue-in-cheek conversation I had earlier this year when I worked at a hotel:

Me: "Every time something breaks around here, all of you expect me to fix it. Why? Is it because I'm a man? Oh, just because I'm a man I'm good at fixing things. That's really sexist."

Laura: "We expect you to fix everything because you were hired to do maintenance, you fucking dumb ass."

Me: "Oh. In that case, I refuse to fix everything because I'm lazy and don't wanna."

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Well said. Especially the first line. :rommie:

No, no, no. When I wake up, I think it's the 21st century. Eventually somebody reminds me it's still the 1950s.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

As others have said it sounds as if the originally remark was a bit tongue in cheek.

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

If I "blame the victims" by saying they are stupid for not revolting against oppression, then so be it.

It's the Rosa Parks situation in principle. Give in and go to the back seat, or stand up against it. And yes, I say it's stupid to give in and go to the back seat.

"Wear that tight catsuit, actress, it will make the ratings go up!" - "Go fuck yourself, producer!" That's how it should go.

17. teacake

But only after you've signed the contract.

18. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I've often thought that the professions of actors and prostitutes don't really differ much: they are payed to do whatever they are ordered to.

A far as catsuits are concerned - I heard that Val Kilmer wasn't exactly happy with his rubber Batman costume either. Though imo he didn't look all that bad in it (if you don't take into account that most superhero outfits look utterly ridiculous). I wonder if that latex suit with the nipples was an attempt to capture the female audience. Sexism the other way round is at least a change from the boring routine, but it still is a turnoff to me.

19. teacake

Everyone should be naked. That would end all this silly whining about latex nipples and Carol's underwear.

Not pleasant for eating 300 sandwiches though, the crumbs I mean.

20. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Actors, prostitutes, and everyone else!

At least the prostitutes get to have sex. I just make pizzas.