Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

See, and therein lies your big mistake. You treat it like single player game.
    Of course, there is nothing wrong with hopping on your ship every now and then and blow up some Romulans or Borg ships.
    But as soon as you make a social experience out of it you will have a blast.
    Find some friends who play the game and enjoy it together. Either in real life or actually in the game.
    Go look to join a fleet with a gaming philosophy that roughly matches yours.
    I hated the STFs before I got into a lively fleet.
    The experience to take a bunch of essentielly gaming nerds and turn them into a coordinated succeeding gang of badasses on The Cure (a mission hated by any PUG player) is very rewarding.
    The fleet's not perfect and way to PvP oriented. But at least I got a dozen or so other players I can regularly turn to to do some missions or STFs or just plain hang around somewhere...

Oh, and the fact that this game turns more and more into a real good Star Trek themed game helps, too.

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

I suppose that's part of it, as the fleet I was in was THIS one, and there's never anyone around to help out with things.

Honestly, though, I'm just looking to play the game, and not play pretend that I'm a member of some special para-military nerd force. Even with all that, you STILL have to do the missions, and I'm already maxed out after 6 months of casual play as a single player...

PvP could at least help pass the time, but it's probably the weakest part of the game. That and ground battles, which are terrible. At least the ship missions are very repetitive...

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

You should get the subscription the Devs said that if STO goes F2P their using the Champions Online model which means people who have a subscription get access to the same level of content they get now, plus I believe 400 Cryptic points a month that you can use to buy ships, customs, and other goodies from the C-store and people playing for free get less content, fewer customs, and no Cryptic points a month so getting more content costs you.

See above.

4. Commodore_Rook

Commodore_Rook Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So much for TRUE free-to-play...... So basically, free, if you just want to play a BASIC game and no perks or extras...

5. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    Well, yeah; how did you think they'd pay the ongoing salaries of the people writing the game, the people operating the servers, the replacements for aging servers, and the massive network bandwidth and colocation costs for the hardware?

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

That's good, and they'd HAVE to offer some perks to members that had bought lifetime subs, but even if you say this goes a year before changing to F2P, that's still, say $125-150 of the lifetime sub price that was 'wasted'. That would be a LOT of in-game perks, extra content, etc. Probably still more than I'd want to pay.

7. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it would be really foolish to get a lifetime right now. It's still retarded expensive and really, if you just pay month to month, you will likely never hit the cost of a lifetime subscription with monthly pay. At the regular price of $299, you'd have to play for 20 months to make it worth your while and at the discounted price, you'd have to play for 16 months. Either way, it's much longer than the average person plays one MMO continuously, the game servers won't be up forever, and when it goes F2P, you'll really be kicking yourself. At this point, it's really a gamble. Do you think this game will still be subscription based a year and a half from now? I very much doubt it.

8. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

You really don't know how "free to play" actually means do you? Guess what you still have to pay to really play. And your servers won't be up forever statement is just silly. Almost all mmo's of any importance are still up. So STO will be around at least a decade.

9. Bishop76

I thought (or is that hoped?) you were ignoring me, already. But apparently it's time to have this argument again.

Of course F2P isn't completely free. I never said it was. It's microtransaction based. A system Cryptic is already using to gouge their players for uniforms, ship skins, etc.

Also, remember that The Old Republic comes out sometime this year or early next year. I'd probably wager that's about the time STO goes free to play.

And Aeolusdallas, I know you already disagree with me about this, okay? Let's just assume that you jumped to STO's defense and skip the part where that actually happens. Agree to disagree.

10. Aeolusdallas

I never put you on ignore. someone else did. And Cryptic's "free to play" system as evidenced by Champions still requires 14.99 a month to play the full game. The "free" part is a paired down bare bones game. You then have the "option" of buying the gold membership at 14.99 a month. Of course you seem to think that is somehow expensive for a months entertainment and also seem to be a troll as you take every opportunity to dis the game and complain about it.

We get it, you don't like it so why are you here?

11. Bishop76

If you actually bothered to read my posts, you'd see that I did try it out again and I don't hate it. It's a very adequate, average MMO. I don't think it's worth $15 a month. You run that through your crazy filter and somehow interpret that statement as "it's a terrible game and I'm a horrible troll who hates it!" Calm down, son. We just disagree about a video game.

12. Aeolusdallas

you are the one who keeps coming in here trying to talk people out of the game and saying that 15 bucks is "expensive" and that it's not going to be around for long. Even though practically no MMO's of any importance have ever gone under. Even Galaxies and Everquest 1 are still around.

13. Bishop76

I never said $15/month is expensive. I said STO wasn't worth $15/month. I think STO will be around for a while yet, just not as a standard subscription model.

Let me try again: That is what I think and I'm expressing my opinion to people that they shouldn't drop $240 or $300 on a game that, even if you consider it worth $15/month, most people won't play for long enough to get their money's worth. I'm not even saying anything about STO in particular here - I'm saying most MMO players don't stick with ANY MMO that long. You disagree. What more needs to be said?

14. Aeolusdallas

You also said that STO was not likely to be around long......... a completely ludicrous statement.

15. Bishop76

Actually, I never said that. I said it wouldn't be around forever. Reading is fundamental.

16. Aeolusdallas

Right.. then why even bring up "the servers won't be up forever?" Your clear implication was that it wouldn't be around long enough to make up for the cost of buying the life time.

17. Bishop76

No, that wasn't my implication, that was your erroneous inference. I'd guess the servers will be up for 10-ish years. My only implication was that 99% of the people who play the game will not play for 16-20 months of that time to make the cost of the lifetime subscription worth it.

18. Aeolusdallas

And you have some kind of evidence to back this up? Or is it just another wild guess of yours?

19. Bishop76

Dude, seriously - calm down. Your nerd rage is showing. Most people don't play MMOs for 2 years. It's not a guess. There's too many other outlets nowdays including other MMOs that distract people. Sure, there are the hard core types. I have no doubt you'll play this game until the day they shut down the servers, but that's atypical.

20. Aeolusdallas

Your the one barging into a thread for people who like the game and being nothing but negative.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.