STXI DVD/Blu-ray special features wishlist

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by jefferiestubes8, May 1, 2009.

1. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

What I want as a special feature:

A filmed version of "Countdown" with the original TNG actors.

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

The Orion Girl: Applying the Paint :evil:

3. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

A&E Television Networks' History Channel's 90-minute
    "Star Trek: Beyond the Final Frontier" 2007 documentary hosted by Leonard Nimoy. (standard definition) that was already released on the 2007 HD-DVD/DVD Star Trek: The Original Series
    Season One - Remastered

Last week this aired on History Channel HD.
    The History Channel will be airing the documentary Star Trek “Beyond The Final Frontier” [on May 9 & 10]. This will be the world premier in high definition on History Channel HD.
    May 8, 2009
    http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2009/05/08/star-trek-%E2%80%9Cbeyond-the-final-frontier%E2%80%9D-airs-59-on-history-hd/

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Star_Trek:_Beyond_the_Final_Frontier
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_trek_beyond_the_final_frontier

even though it was not that well received as evident in this TrekBBS thread: 'Beyond the Final Frontier' Doesn't Reach New Vistas

I assume it was shot and mastered in HD.

It would be great to have this in HD on a Trek Blu-ray release in 2009 or 2010.

4. jefferiestubes8

commentary track

I would like to see possibly a audio commentary track taken from Totally Creative Media's 1976 Gene Roddenberry Lecture Tour series or
    from audio interviews with Gene Roddenberry telephone interview in July 1976 mentioned here during the pre-production and production phase of Star Trek: The Motion Picture in 1976.

I'm talking about not just the interview but editing it and many other interviews from 1960s-1980s into an audio commentary track like on the DVD release of 'Fantasia' where they took archival interviews/audio commentary about that film by Walt Disney spanning 30 years to make up the track. Roddenberry is similar to Walt Disney in that way.

It pertains to the 'created by' universe and how that connects with the current film XI.

5. Guartho

Guartho Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The option to play the movie with all cut-scenes included via seamless branching. (not fully scored or color-corrected of course, just in where they would have been.)

6. EJD1984

EJD1984 Captain Captain

That was done for the first X-Men DVD. The added/deleted scenes had the X logo down in the corner.

Has anyone heard a possible release date for the dvd/blu-ray?

7. Similitude

Similitude Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Going by the traditional Theater to DVD/BR thinking...sometime around Labor day is likely. However I get the feeling they may delay this one until Xmas season.

8. jefferiestubes8

Seamless branching / release date rumors

Seamless branching
    a clarification:
    X-MEN (2000 DVD)

The Abyss Special Edition (2000 DVD)

this TrekBBS thread.

9. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This would be my ideal Trek Blu-Ray

Disc 1: The Movie

Disc 2: The Extra's

Disc 3: The Robau files - an entire disc hosted by, featuring, starring and about captain Robau.
    With the feature length documentary I, Robau, a comprehensive study of Robau, the man and the starfleet captain. Part genealogy documentary, part autobiography, this documentary will reveal everything you wanted to know about the shiniest captain in Starfleet.
    Furthermore, learn what other well known Starfleet captains think of Captain Robau in The Captain's Summit, Robau Edition, a roundtable discussion hosted by Whoopi Goldberg.
    The pilot episode of the new Trek television spin-off Robau: The Final Frontier, the first television show filmed entirely in flarevision.
    You can also watch Star Trek with audio commentary by Robau himself, or a PIP track with facts, photo's and additional footage of Robau. Learn that Robau wasn't in fact killed in the opening minutes of the new movie but that he actually fled the Narada by disguising himself as an alien called Keenser and landing on a nearby ice planet.

;)

10. jefferiestubes8

humor

LOL. very funny.
    I think all of the special features will not have flares. hmm. except shots from the actual film...

11. jefferiestubes8

http://startrekpropauthority.blogspot.com/2008/04/rare-1966-video-interviews-with-william.html
    Even though this was television and probably live to tape things like these are gems for Trek fans and should be added.

12. Cdr MacDuff

Cdr MacDuff Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe they could show a clip of all the training and hand exercises Chris Pine went through for all the "dangling from a cliff by the fingertips" scenes he had to shoot. :)

13. smegger56

smegger56 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd love to see an 'extended cut' of the film, with all the deleted scenes restored, and new effects added where needed. Just like what happened with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'd pay double for that :D

14. jefferiestubes8

Yes I would like to see the casting tapes of
    Chris Pine
    Zachary Quinto
    Eric Bana
    Bruce Greenwood
    Karl Urban
    John Cho
    Anton Yelchin
    Simon Pegg
    Zoe Saldana
    Yes I bet they even shot Simon Pegg's casting session like all actors...
    At the very least Pine, Quinto, Bana.

JJ Abrams can hold his own in a commentary track. He did a great one on Alias season 1 pilot. I'd like an audio commentary just with him.
    Perhaps we can get 3 audio commentaries by 2010 if Paramount Homet Entertainment are holding off on the first 2-disc edition?

15. jefferiestubes8

special features on SCE and series

When I wrote that a month ago I hadn't seen the Trek Special Collector Editions starting with Generations in 1993-94 when Paramount had a lot of behind-the-scenes shot on the set for promotional & features on Laserdiscs/DVD releases.

I've seen the Generations SCE, First Contact SCE, Insurrection SCE, and Nemesis SCE, and STII:TWOK SCE and they've done great jobs with them with the exception of STII due to lack of behind-the-scenes footage and the bad production quality on the interviews on the special features.
    I can say after viewing Nemesis SCE that the behind the scenes in 2002 on exteriors with the 'dune buggy' look like they were shot on analog Betacam SP video format which was still pretty popular then as a video format. Some of the other interviews and footage look like it were shot on Digital Betacam in 16:9 widescreen.
    I've added a bunch of the final discs from Netflix now for Deep Space 9 and Voyager to see the special features as well as STV:TFF, STIV:TVH, STIII:TSFS, and the last disc from all 7 season of TNG.

The Paramount/CBS DVD style has been to have separate feature sections instead of a 1-hour documentary but some movie DVDs have chosen to breakup the documentaries into a number of parts anyway.

As far as the quality all of the behind-the-scenes on ST:XI should be high definition and have that immediacy that HD can give. Their costumes should really show the detail in the fabric's texture in HD during on-set interviews.
    Hopefully the deleted scenes won't have the producers's name on them as the producers VHS tape of the deleted scenes like Nemesis SCE but be in HD.

16. ed629

ed629 Rear Admiral

McCoy walking in on Kirk and Spock fingercuffing Uhura?

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I want an outtake with Zachary Quinto randomly turning from Spock to Sylar.

18. jefferiestubes8

menu designs

2 menu designs like the SCE of the films.

1 disc the Kelvin bridge in CG
    1 disc Starfleet Academy's transport ship loading area in CG

19. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Put me down for an 'animated comic book' of the Countdown series. I think its really truly needed or a mini version of the comic books in a special retailer exclusive package or something. But I would love to see even a limited motion comic with TNG voice actors playing their parts. A good way to tie in both series.

Plus I would definately like to see some of the early concept art work and other designs that didn't make it into the film... and maybe a good indepth look at the main sets. Like a good walk around the bridge, with like JJ pointing things out.

20. Bigedmond

Bigedmond Ensign Newbie

The main feature i want for the blue ray is what Disney does for there blue-ray. 1 disk with the movie in blue-ray, 1 regular dvd with the movie and 1 blue-ray disk with special features.

That way, you can buy the blue-ray version and watch on a regular dvd player. Great for those that havent bought a blue-ray player yet, but plan too.