The Destruction of Romulus!?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Esirprus, Oct 24, 2015.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Supposed to be pitching a series to CBS. He has a 'backdoor'. :eek:

Ninja'd by Squiggy!

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Oh...er...ok. Is he Michael Dorn?

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

From the film Hearts of the West...

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Good point.

Romulus was destroyed in the Prime universe. Vulcan was destroyed in the nuUniverse.

And destroying Vulcan arguably creates as many story possibilities as it closes while making it crystal clear that this is a whole new STAR TREK where anything can happen.

What could be less limiting than that?

5. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

I would only do that if you are pitching a Star Trek reboot. In which case the decks are clear to tell whatever story you want. A new third timeline/universe.

But if you say that it is set in the Prime universe, than that is all the events from Broken Bow in 2151 thru Nemesis to the departure of Spock and Nero in 2387.

All of it. Including ST V, A Night In Sickbay, Omega Glory, Threshold, the Son'a and Romulus getting blown up? Yep, all of it. The good, the bad and the ugly.

6. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

I am constantly amused by those who think that somehow, someway, they are going to change Trek back to "the way they want it"! The post (and his/her follow up posts) does nothing but scream "True Fan", "True Trek" horseshit.

If the OP has no knowledge of ST09, then I seriously doubt he/she'll have any chance at all of getting even a glance from CBS and TPTB.

It's just another "Abrams raped my childhood" waaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Except in this case no childhoods were raped because the OP never even bothered watching the movie.

8. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Oh,no. Trust me....it's another one of those threads. :)

CR by association. :D

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  9. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No idea on the logic, but it's also worth noting that the availability of titles is also different in different countries. My netflix offers Star Trek (09) and Insurrection, but nothing else.

10. Esirprus

Esirprus Lieutenant Red Shirt

Firstly Paramount is responsible in full for the movies. I don't think CBS gets any money from them.

Secondly CBS made a ton of money off all the other Star Treks and still let Rick Berman and Brannon Braga ignore 98% of all other Trek when they were doing enterprise. I think it may work. If I have to acknowledge it this thread has helped me make a plan. Hopefully I won't have to use it.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

My copy of the "Star Trek" (2009) and "Into Darkness" Blu-Ray four-disk set carries logos for Spyglass, Bad Robot, Skydance and Paramount, and in small print advises that "Star Trek" and related marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc.

Ummm, no they didn't. Except for a few minor glitches, every variation to pedantic fan expectation of canon (and "fanon") was able to be explained away, or was specifically addressed in later episodes.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just to put things into perspective, CBS makes something like $20 million a year from Star Trek merchandise based on the original show. The last movie made almost $500 million. :)

13. Esirprus

Thank you all for the hard criticism. Unfortunately my connection to internet is highly limited and viewing the movies that way is not an option for me. Why I started this thread. Perhaps I should start one in X+. Asking in more detail about what occurs in twenty three eighty seven the year my work begins in. As for the mistakes of Enterprise was it ever explained why the ship was hosting an alien doctor when it was a United Earth starship like Kirk's Enterprise was at first?

14. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Get Netflix and get the DVDs mailed to you then.

If you would have watched Star Trek in the past two decades....yes, it was explained.

You could at lease Google these questions. The internet is much more robust than it was when Generations came out.

15. Esirprus

I have tried to read synopsises online about the stories. I couldn't make heads or tails of the ST09 one however.

Netflix isn't an option, unfortunately. Got another sugestion? I know. I'll Google those questions. See what pops up.

16. Esirprus

Thank you emphatically for this suggestion!! :techman: I Googled it as suggested and a new intro to the series is formulating in my head that I think is far better than the pilot I initially wrote. I think it should work much better now! Thanks!

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Streaming services like Amazon Prime and Hulu have the movies. You can watch them right on your computer. Amazon Prime is free for the first month. Sign up, watch all the movies, but don't continue after 30 days if money is an issue. Although I have to question how that can be if you have enough money to pay for an Internet connection. I also have to question how you think you're going to talk to CBS about pitching a Trek series when you have no knowledge of the last 20 years of Star Trek.

18. BillJ

You do realize that CBS owns Star Trek and Paramount pays a licensing fee to them for the rights to make the films?

They actually didn't break "canon" hardly at all. What they broke were fan assumptions about what went on during those years. Give you a guess which one CBS cares nothing about...

19. BillJ

I remember there being guidelines for first time writers, pitching to the various shows. One of the first rules was to put the universe back the way you found it when pitching a story. I think Pocket Books has the same rule.

20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Another guideline is probably "know what in the hell you're talking about."