Star Trek V - The Dream Theory

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Khan 2.0, Apr 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

^
    nice catch :D Yes that could be Kirks notion of Klingons exacting their revenge on Vger.

Also the idea of again searching for ones creator manifesting it the dream (TMP and TFF are similar in that way)

2. Khan 2.0

i remember seeing it back in '89 and when Sybok goes 'reveal yourself to me' i was expecting some MAJOR twist as to who ‘god‘ was... what better than to have had Lockwood walking out of the blue and Kirk couldve gone 'Gary..' (like he did when he first saw Khan again in Star Trek II).,

Phoenix219 likes this.
  3. Memory Alpha

Memory Alpha Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Haha, never thought of the bulk of this movie as a dream, but it's maybe the only way I could accept Sybok's odd powers sans any obvious explanation (and perhaps Kirk never revealed his dark secret or misstep or whatever to anyone). And yeah, Scotty and Uhura, while certainly possible, was kind of out of nowhere.

I think you have to manipulate it to come up with a dream reading, but it's possible!

4. Khan 2.0

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

M
    The problem with this is that the audience would have had to have seen "Where No Man Has Gone Before" to have gotten the reference, since Gary Mitchell wouldn't have been as memorable a character like Khan was. I doubt even Shatner would have remembered the character.

Now with that said, the movie could have been edited for this to actually make sense. Instead of the Great Barrier at the center of the Galaxy (that we'd never heard of before), make it the Galactic Barrier and Delta Vega beyond it. Have "God" specifically ask for the Enterprise, since Gary would want to see Kirk and Spock again.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  6. Khan 2.0

7. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

I honestly thought Kirk saying that "life is a dream" came from the final campfire scene. Regardless, the idea of Star Trek being a dream would be interesting and it was floated in Star Trek DS9

8. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Someone needs to Fan-Edit this into a reality.

The Shore-leave bookends aren't part of the dream. They still fit just fine, as Kirk has just been through a whole lot in the previous 3 movies. He's still about to embark on his next 5YM - but all we see is the shore leave before it, and his dream.

Just realized the date on this thread; someone will lock it soon.... please don't?

Khan 2.0 likes this.
  9. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

All right, guys, what you can do is start a new thread with a link to this thread and continue the discussion. But this thread needs to close. Please check the thread's last date of activity before responding. This thread is closed, but you can continue the conversation. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.