John Harrison was more interesting than (SPOILER)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Wormhole, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Clancy_s

Clancy_s Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That was essentially my conclusion. I was initially disappointed they'd used Khan instead of a new villain, but I liked the story otherwise and I couldn't come up with a new villain who fit the story and wasn't so close to Khan as to be an obvious copy - in which case IMO it's better to be up front about it and have him be Khan.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

With Nero we had a madman who had physically superior henchmen, and who had a doomsday device who was out for revenge.

Nero was a bit of Shinzon, Rua'fo, Soren, Chang, Kruge and Khan. John Harrison wouldn't have been much different from that line of villains. And indeed, nuKhan isn't different either. They are just rehashing the same old bad guy with super weapon is out for revenge plot, no matter what they do and what the villains name is.

Actually I find it funny that people believe the film is somehow elevated by the villains NAME. Change the name BUT NOTHING ELSE and they are suddenly not interested? Essentially you are told what you like. "This is Star Trek, because they call it Star Trek.", "This is a better villain, because they call him Khan!" I find this curious to say the least.