Barnes and Noble Suied by three publishers.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by GalaxyClass1701, Oct 19, 2012.

1. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

Just received an email saying that Simon & Schuster is one of the publishers, if you bought ebooks dating back to 2010 you will receive a full refund in the form of a gift card.

For me that's a couple hundred trek books.

2. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Still not comfortable with them being able to pull stuff off your e-reader - even if you do get your money back. You bought it in good faith, why should you be forced to "return" it? If they sell a book in store by mistake, do they go round to everyone's homes and remove it from their shelves?

3. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

No, you do not receive a full refund. You receive an amount back for each Agency eBook you bought. Also B&N is not going to be pulling agency eBooks from nooks. Both of the above posts are just chock full of wrongness.

The following quote says how now much you will get for each agency eBook you've purchased. Nobody is taking away (or even trying to) the agency eBooks you have purchased. That's a load of rubbish to say so.

4. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

My post is not "chock full of wrongness". I don't buy books from B&N, and have a Kindle, not a Nook. My comment was a general comment on the idea that you buy a 'license to read' rather than a copy of the actual content, and was based on the 'full refund' mentioned by GalaxyClass1701.
    OK, so maybe I made an assumption based on the idea of a full refund that it implied removal of the books, but given that we've seen that sort of thing before, it's a logical assumption to make.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait, could somebody either explain what's going or post a link or something? I've had a Nook for a couple years now and I haven't heard a thing about this.

6. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I miss the days when you would buy a goddamned book and put it on your fucking shelf and it was yours forever! Oh wait. Those days are still here... for now anyway.

Selling 'licenses' to read a book. :rolleyes

7. Silvphoenix47

Silvphoenix47 Ensign Newbie

I would also like a link to this information too. I have had a nook for a lil over a year now. Would definitely like to look into this.

8. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Tried googling it and no luck. What's up?

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Cutting back the earlier URL, there is an explanation of the situation here:
    https://ebooksagsettlements.com/CaseSummary.aspx

The title of this thread is seemingly misleading. I can't see how it's Barnes & Noble being sued. In the FAQs, it states that:

Who are the Publishers?

There are five publishers who, as a group, are referred to in this Notice as “Publishers.”
    The Settling Publishers are the following publishers:

• Hachette Book Group, Inc. (“Hachette”);
    • HarperCollins Publishers LLC (“HarperCollins”); and
    • Simon & Schuster, Inc. and Simon & Schuster Digital Sales, Inc. (“Simon & Schuster”).
    The Non-Settling Publishers are the following publishers:

• Penguin Group (USA) Inc. (“Penguin”); and
    • Holtzbrinck Publishers, LLC, known as Macmillan (“Macmillan”).
    Furthermore, "the Court has not decided in favor of either side. The Attorneys General who brought the antitrust lawsuit think the Settlements are best for everyone who is affected. The Settling Publishers deny that they did anything wrong but have agreed to the Settlements to avoid the time, expense and uncertainty associated with continuing the case."

10. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

Huh. Wonder if this'll force ebook prices down?

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I wouldn't hold my breath.

12. Therin of Andor

Suposedly, the adjustments have already been made. Any major savings were probably wiped out by the global financial crisis. As we know, Simon & Schuster shed many employees and its eBook division runs on the smell of an oil rag with minimal quality control.

13. Ktrek

Ktrek Captain Captain

I hate it when people put out crap that is totally inaccurate and misleading. B&N is NOT (let me repeat that for those of you hard of hearing) NOT being sued. The Sates attorney's office filed against some "publishers" not "sellers" but if you purchased qualifying ebooks you may be able to get a credit or refund. Here is the official release from Barnes and Noble sent to their customers.

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

And here's the email I received from Amazon, to add to Ktrek's B&N email above:

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huh, it will be interesting to see if this does have any effect on Ebooks in the future.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I received the same email regarding my kindle. That will be interesting to see how it pans out. .30 to 1.32 a book times how many books I bought for my kindle last year could end up being quite a bit of "free" books, which would be nice.

Amazon didn't mention anything about pulling anything off your e-reader(can they even do that?) like B&N apparently some people are saying here. If they did well... I back things up anyways.

Really, I'm hoping this sets precedent for e-books being cheaper. It's silly at best that most of the new e-books are still at nearly at full novel price when it costs them next to nothing to distribute a freaking file.

17. Therin of Andor

Penguin and Macmillan elected to go to court. The other three decided not to contest it.

18. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So if you get this letter does this mean you will get a b&n e gift card in the future? Even though they never pulled any of your books. Because I have quiet a few star trek books on my nook color :)

19. JWolf

Yes, it is. B&N is not being sued. The customers who bought Agency eBooks from B&N are not getting a full refund. eBooks are not going to be pulled from WiFi enabled readers (in cases where that is possible). So how is any of what you posted actually correct?

20. JWolf

You get a credit unless you prefer to get a check.