Will the real Wyatt Earp please stand...

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

When I was a kid I didn't care for the look of the sets in "Spectre Of The Gun" and "The Empath," but as the years passed I grew to appreciate the artistic creativity in both episodes. Having the Vian consoles seemingly hanging in mid air with no visible means of physical support looks like highly advanced tech. The incomplete buildings of the Melkotians' Old West illusion really enhances the surreality of the situation.

2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I was kidding. I'm fond of LIS, but that gold standard bit was a joke. :)

The theory that the tree shadows on both shows were deliberate sounds right. There's even a saying today: when you have a deficiency or shortcoming (i.e., the small size of an indoor planet set), don't try to hide it. Hang a lantern on it and make it into a signature. Balding men shave their heads completely now. The actor who needs glasses wears the biggest, heavy black frames anybody ever saw.

3. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is an entire sport devoted to "cowboy action" shooting. I've seen people shoot a hole in a target and chase multiple shots through the same hole, using the weapon's original fixed sights. A single action cartridge revolver can be tuned to be as accurate as any modern counterpart.

Not saying that anyone actually took time to do that back then, but it is possible.

4. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

One of my favorite third-season episodes, had a great Twilight Zone feel to it.

5. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I checked that book out from the library many times when I was a kid. I should try to find a copy.

"Spectre" is really a high point in the third season to me, and the surreal setting is a great example of turning a (budgetary) weakness into a strength. I don't think it would have worked as well in terms of alien bizarreness if it had been done on location or a western town backlot.

"The Empath," OTOH... I guess the setting seems alien but it's not enough to overcome its crummy writing, dreary pacing, ambivalent direction and overacting. Yes, I hate it.

Probably not as accurate, because the high standards of modern metallurgy in the parts. But certainly accurate enough for what they were used for in the old days, when most handgun "fighting" occurred at too close a range to even use the sights.

6. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I feel the complete opposite about the Empath. It is one of my favorites not just from the 3rd season but the entire series in general.

The overall look of the episode is just one thing I love. My favorite thing about it is actually how the relationship & friendship of the main 3 are portrayed. And at least in terms of Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley I think the acting was great. But that is just my opinion.