Buying Trek autographs

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Mirror Sulu, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Mirror Sulu

Mirror Sulu Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Two part question guys; firstly, I'm considering buying Gary Lockwood's autograph from his website (http://www.gary-lockwood2001.com/welcome.html), but I suspect it may be out of date - the contact page states 'credit card and form coming soon' and there have been no developments since 2009. Has anyone purchased an autograph from this site recently, just so I know I'll get it if I send my money away?

Secondly, could some of you recommend me sites I could buy other Trek related autographs?

Thanks in advance. :bolian:

2. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I checked another site I use and there are people who have sent money and materials to get signed (not just buying one of his pix) as far back as July 2010 with no response. That's on the address on his website.

He is still doing conventions, and just did the Hollywood Collectors Expo last year - and that's not mentioned on his page.

You might want to send an email and ask them if he's still signing. The email address is on that page.

3. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

Seeing as you asked, I guess it's OK to suggest eBay. I think there is also a link at startrek.com where you can shop for various Trek-related stuff --- don't know if it includes autographed pics, but you can take a look.

A lot of people on this site go to trek conventions. If you're unable to attend yourself, contact someone and ask if they'll get the autograph for you. Autograph tickets cost money (and you can either supply a photo on your own or include money to buy a photograph). trekcore.com has a really great site of screencaps of all the Trek series and movies that you can download and print out. That's where I get my pics for autographs.
    I recommend if you're going to print your own photos, that you select light colored images. If you pick a dark image the actors use a silver marker and the silver rubs off easily if you're not careful.

4. OmahaStar

Ah, I missed the second part, about suggestions of places to buy ... Don't buy 8x10s from ebay. The latest statistic I had heard from the FBI was their estimate that 90% of the autographs on the site were fakes.

Unless the actor is the one doing the selling on ebay (and it does happen), OR it's an autographed trading card, it's probably best to avoid it.

Now, about the cards ... If you want to buy them, just make sure they are autograph cards (as in, from Rittenhouse or Skybox) ... There is a world of difference between a card pulled from a pack like that, and someone who takes an ordinary card and forges a sig to try and con somebody.

Basically, do your homework.

5. Mirror Sulu

Mirror Sulu Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

What about personalized autographs? I know you can get them from George Takei and Nichelle Nichols' sites, and I've had a look around, but I can't find any others from any Trek series. Do you know of any?

6. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Don't buy your autographs off a website. There is no fun in that. Go to a convention and have the actor sign a photo in front of you. You will know for sure that the autograph is authentic and you will have a wonderful memory of meeting him/her.

Not to mention you'll have a great time at the Con talking with other fans!

7. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This!

I have too many autographs, but to me that's less important than the actual meeting. I've had many friends take off to a convention or two during the year without me and ask if I want anything, and I never do. The autograph is more the proof of experience than anything.

8. Ataraxie

Ataraxie Cadet Newbie

Seeking help identifying an TOS autograph

Hello,

I found note with StarTrek signatures in a book, a german first edition of TOS.

I'm puzzled about one of the signatures. I this the correct place zu ask for help?

The autographs where inside an evelope dated 1973.

[​IMG]

It is the topmost autograph I cannot match.
    All others have been easy guesses:

Lt. Cmdr. Montgomery Scott (James Doohan) - "Scotty"
    Lt. Cmdr. Dr. Leonard McCoy (DeForest Kelley) - "Bones" / "Pille" (in German)
    Lt. Hikaru Sulu (George Takei)
    Christine Chapel / Lwaxana Troi / Number One (Majel Barrett Roddenberry)

Over here in Germany some people suggested the first autgraph to be from William Shatner / Kirk, but I do have some doubts about that guess.

I apologize, if this is the wrong place to ask such an question.
    In that case I would appreciate any hint to a better place to search for help, though.

Thanx
    A.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  9. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Seeking help identifying an TOS autograph

Top one is William Shatner. I'm certain. And your guesses are right for the rest.

All appear legit to me.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  10. Frontier

As far as the OP's question on buying autographs...

That Lockwood site: I'd avoid that. It looks like it either is defunct now, or may not have been legit. Not sure, but my spidey-sense is tingling...

If you really want to buy? Do your homework. Be smart.

Compare prices. Don't just buy the first thing you see.

E-Bay is a massive mine-field and you are more often than not going to get ripped off. There are exceptions, but they are super rare. The only time I'd trust e-bay is if you're buying from a well-known convention company, or rarely sometimes the actors fan-clubs will use e-bay for auction purposes. If it's the actor's club doing it though they'll be linked back to the actors official site and such. Don't just trust because someone claims to be representing the actor.

Creation Entertainment (oldest, longest running company) uses e-Bay. They also sell right from their site. Again, do your homework and compare prices. But they're one of the very few reliable places. They've been in business 30-35 years and I've seen them having the actors sign stacks of photos for later re-sale at their tables when the autograph lines are done.

Some of the actors - not too many, but some - do sell via their websites. Can't think of whom off the top of my head.

The best way to acquire autographs is in person. But if you're wanting to buy... it can be done. It's not going to be cheap though, and you can't just trust e-Bay or what not. You have to really research.

Following prices are pretty much as is for either in-person or buying from somewhere legit:
    Prices can vary, but for say Patrick Stewart you'll pay at least $60-80. Roughly the same on Shatner, Jeri Ryan, Leonard Nimoy, Jolene Blalock. Mulgrew and Brooks usually about $40-60. Scott Bakula is the most expensive at the moment, you'll rarely see him for less than $100 and usually more towards $125.

The most "average" price - which is what you'll pay for 80% of most cast members - is $30-40.

Sometimes, if you find the right place, you could get certain actors who do a large volume of conventions (Bob Picardo, George Takei, Ethan Phillips, Walter Koening) for $15-20.

Deceased actors autographs (which at this point can only be acquired via purchasing) you really have to be careful where you buy from and you'll be paying a good amount for them. Jimmy Doohan is going to be cheapest of those who've passed on, usually $50-75. DeForest Kelley is going to set you back $200-300. Majel Barrett about $50 - I think Roddenberry.com even has some, not sure.

These actors are more likely to be counterfeit though, since they're gone and people are more anxious to acquire such, so be more careful.

Gene Roddenberry, you'll need to be an expert to find a legit one and once you do, you'll be paying $400 and up, minimum, if you're lucky. He's been gone 20+ years and no one sells them unless the owner has passed and the estate sells their collection, frankly.

Any of the nuCast... they're rare. John Cho and Anton Yelchin I think have each done one or two shows, Zach Quinto did one or two, but most autographs of his you'll find are from "Heroes". Pine, Saldana, Pegg, Urban... never done conventions. Anything you buy is going to be coming from someone whose business is such, and in those cases it's all about vetting them.

I can't repeat this enough: research and trust no one when buying. You can't just google "buy autographs" click a link and do so. You have to really look into a company if you're buying from them. Their policies, their business history, who they're established with (there are organizations most of the legit ones belong to) and... really, it's a gamble. But one that, if you're smart and thorough about, you can minimize the risks of.

Luckily, Star Trek autographs are one of the few fields where acquiring such isn't terribly hard, so the need to fake them isn't as great as other fields of interest. That said, it's also easier for you to get them in person for Trek, so if you can? Do that first.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  11. Frontier

Any time I've ever tried to print from DVD screen caps, the result is pretty grainy and blurry. Only the blu-rays caps have recently been high resolution enough for such, IME. Do you have some sort of special program or up-scaling?

I do like to bring my own photos though, and have printed some up. But I usually use high resolution photos for this. The only successful screen-capture autograph I've yet done is from a blu-ray cap. The rest where from high resolution photos (I'm talking high res as in 1800x2600 pixels area).

There are also one or two places you can buy from. The only two I know of off the top of my head are statesidestills.com and celebrity8x10s.com - and one of them (can't remember which!) I've found their quality wanting frankly...

An example some of the photos I've had prints made of from on-line resources (though my scans of them don't do them justice, lol)
    Locutus of Borg
    Terminator 2 - Sarah Connor/Kyle Reese
    Data and Tasha Yar
    Kirk and Spock
    Janeway and Tuvok (of Borg)
    Kirk and Picard
    Data and Geordi - this is a blu-ray screen cap. Levar Burton liked it so much he DM'd me on Twitter to get the original file. :)

Of all of them only the one is a screen cap (from blu-ray) and the rest are high res photos acquired off the web. They look much better in person than my scans, lol.

12. OmahaStar

I can't speak for Pine, Saldana, or Pegg, but Urban has done a number of conventions. He did Xena/Hercules conventions back in the day, and has done Lord of the Rings conventions as well. It's possible he hasn't done cons since joining Trek, but he has indeed done conventions.