Romance

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agenda, Nov 16, 2010.

?

How important is it to have a little romance in a Star Trek movie?

1. Very important

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Somewhat important

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Not very important

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  4. Are you kidding me? Forget that crap.

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How important is it to have a little romance in a Star Trek movie?

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

How about lots of sex?

3. kes7

kes7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Having it there for the sake of having it there is annoying (a la TV Trek romances-of-the-week), but if it complements the story, I like it. I thought Spock/Uhura and Sarek/Amanda were well done in Trek XI. I liked Ilia/Decker/VGER (weird as that looks, now that I wrote it down :alienblush:) in TMP. Aside from that .... meh.

4. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

I wouldn't mind a little Kirk/Marcus romance in XII, as long as she dies at the end of the movie

5. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

You said Marcus and I thought you meant David at first. :wtf:

6. Hythlodeus

no, but I'll save that idea in case I'll ever write incestious gay slash fanfiction

7. Satyrquaze

If you do, I don't want credit for the idea.

8. Hythlodeus

rest assured, I WILL credit you!

now, back on topic...

9. Satyrquaze

Indeed.

Yes, a little romance now and then is a healthy thing.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ugh, save that shit for Star Wars. :rommie:

11. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh please. Kirk/David has already been done. I don't even have to check to tell you that. Everyone knows that slashers are crazy people.

12. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Back on topic: one of the disappointing parts of ST09 is the Spock/Uhura make-out sessions. Romance and gratuitous sex/physical gratification are not the same thing. It was very out of character for Spock. Kirk in bed with an Orion chick was the same thing. I voted for the third option.

13. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

What Spock/Uhura make-out sessions? Uhura comforting Spock in the turbolift was not making out...Spock kissing his girlfriend ("In the event that I am unsuccessful, please tell Lieutenant Uhura...) before going on what is essentially a suicide mission (4.3% chance of success) is not a make-out session... (and notice that when he beamed back, he grabbed her hands before they exited the transporter room -- she's important to him).

And out of character? Really? We've never seen Spock at this age; a Spock who didn't have an 11 year mission aboard the Enterprise with Pike and Number One straight out of the Academy, a Spock who was teaching at the Academy years early and who met Nyota Uhura 10 years before he did in TOS; he's not quite the same character. . . now, you may not like it, but the whole point of the movie is that some things will be the same (Kirk being a horndog/falling in love/using women to get what he wants) and somethings will be different in the alternate reality. . .

As for romance. . . people keep saying they want Star Trek to comment on the human condition, well isn't sex and romance a major part of that?

~FS

14. VOODOOXI

VOODOOXI Commander Red Shirt

All I ask is that there is no love triangle between Spock, Kirk and Uhura.

15. FarStrider

FarStrider Commander Red Shirt

Why would there be? Uhura showed absolutely no romantic interest in Kirk at all, she didn't send him any mixed messages. . . she didn't like him,and let him know it. . . and as much as some fangirls want it, I doubt the writers are going to go down the Kirk/Spock road. . . so, what possible triangles are you seeing?

~FS

16. Commodore_Rook

Commodore_Rook Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Plus this Uhura is a far cry difference than the original. Not to knock Nichelle (who is wonderful BTW), but she was constrained by the censors and the times (60's) where a black woman was not normally allowed to do what she did and had the first interracial kiss on television! NuUhura is way beyond "Hailing Frequencies open", and "I'm frightened Captain". She knows what she wants (or doesn't want, sorry Kirk, can't win 'em all!) and isn't afraid to make it known!

17. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hell yeah, but with a proviso.

I'm all for romance, so long as "having romance in the movie" and "having women in the movie" don't become precisely synonymous.

I thought Spock/Uhura was sweet, and dramatically interesting in terms of the general unheimlich-ing of the TOS universe.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Totally agreed.

19. Nerd unRage

Nerd unRage Commander Red Shirt

Here, here! I picked option 3 because I can take or leave romance. Trek has had romances in it so it's not something that's totally new. I think what rankles people is the fact that it's Spock and Uhura. Let's not forget, Spock is half-human and Vulcans do feel, it's the showing of emotion that is poo-pooed. He's father finally admitted that he genuinely loved Amanda and that's why he married her. Plus, no human female is going to leave her home planet behind if it wasn't for love.

I'm glad it wasn't the focus of the movie (it should never be in any movies that follow) and it was handled in a mature way. Just as long as there's no Kirk drama or anybody else for a love triangle, I'm fine with it being there in the background.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Oh, I think it should be a major motivation for what happens in the second movie. It's really a perfect set-up, since it's the only strong investment that any of the characters have in one another that might cause conflict within the group.