Help! List Alt.Hist Movies!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Australis, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I think those are more "secret history" as opposed to "alternate history."

Similar, but not quite the same thing.

3. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

4. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Thanks for the list, Redshirt. I had already looked at it, but didn't think to put a link here.

Yeah, CSA and Fatherland do seem to be it. But there may be more we've forgotten.

Speaking of alt. biographies, I'd like to recommend one of my favourite writers, Howard Waldrop. He does a lot of offbeat alt.hist. short stories Two examples:

The Ugly Chickens (Hugo Award winner): somehow, dodos survive into the 20th Century.

Ike At The Mike: a young Eisenhower is directed into music, learns the clarinet and joins Louis Armstrong's band, playing alongside his pal Wild George Patton. He plays one of his last concerts before a Senator Presley and British Ambassador Pratt.

And these descriptions do absolutely no justice to the stories - they are
    wonderful. Check him out.

You can find some of his stories on the archived SdiFi website, when the had a fiction section (edited by Ellen Datlow, so there!). If it's still here, 'The Wolfman of Alcatraz' is prtetty good.:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070204073906/www.scifi.com/scifiction/archive.html

(I'm having trouble connecting to it, but I'm pretty sure it's still there.)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  5. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The War of The Worlds radio show and original movie were made part of the history of the WOTWs television series. Alien Nation had the newcomers ship drop in near historical times.

6. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A Sound of Thunder is an extremely crappy movie adaption but I'm pretty sure you'll like Bradbury's original short story.

Zipang is basically The Final Countdown from a Japanese perspective. Enroute to a joint military exercise a JMSDF missile destroyer encounters a strange phenomenon and is thrown back into the early days of the Pacific WW2. Shortly after their arrival in the past they rescue a drowning passenger from a downed plane and they get drawn into the politics of that time.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVYNLb0nXe0[/yt][yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNzKPYawEAc[/yt]

Premonition is one of the few "alternate reality" flicks that stand out (similar to Sliding Doors and Lola Rennt/Run Lola Run):
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvOP9t4QhI8[/yt]

Battle Royale is actually an alternate future that won't happen but it's so scary because all the basic requirements for it to happen exist in today's society. If some factors had been slightly different it could have become reality.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-T7yPJVvXw[/yt]

7. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

My first thought was Sliding Doors and my second was CSA. Then The Butterfly Effect. Fatherland. Wouldn't the last 2 Ape movies(original run of movies) count?

Really, Hollywood shies away from alt hist because it tends to be "too cerebral".

Here's a listing of discussions about written alt hist:

http://www.librarything.com/search_...oup=142&groupid=142&post_permission=1&type=gr

And wasn't there a 60's movie about an astronaut who lands on a similar Earth that stays on the other side of the Sun? That would qualify, me thinks.

8. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's an alternate version of an already fictional life. It'd only count if George not being born causes some big alternate history thing (like the Nazis winning World War II!)

There are a few novels I wouldn't mind being made into movie (so long as they were well done) such as

In Valis, Phil actually says the film rights to that book had been sold. Of course, this is a fictional book and Phil is a fictional representation of the author, but...

With all the various Dick adaptions we've had since Blade Runner I'm sort of surprised nobody's taken a short at this as it's one of his better known books. Sort of... but not really. Blade Runner created a vogue for Dick films in the sense of him being a source of sci-fi stories; not alternate histories.

A shame. Even so, yeah, it could be a decent movie.

9. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doppleganger (or Journey To The Far Side of the Sun). I don't think that it would count since it was supposed to be futuristic.
    Also, everything that happened on the other Earth was exactly the same as our Earth, just reversed like a mirror image.

10. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

If Anime counts, the I'll add The Wings of Honnêamise. It takes place in an alternate universe where a society embroiled in an never ending war loses interest in space travel, leading to a highly industrialized modern population who mostly believes space travel is not even possible.. It's about a young pilot who decides to be the first man in space in the face of general apathy from the public at large.

11. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

Does Back to the Future II count? At least Marty faces his own Alt.Hist at the end of the movie with the "dark 1985"

12. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about The Wild, Wild West? They gave us a world were in the late 1800s America nobody singled out a colored man for special treatment.

13. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Both the above are good examples, though Wild Wild West is a bit more of a secret history.

Just watching CSA now. Wow, it's really well done, and a bit creepy/scary in its own way. And their version of 'COPS' - 'RUNAWAY' :wtf: :lol: