Q is a pathetic loser

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by teacake, Nov 17, 2012.

1. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He is just a reviewer, why would he come here and why would he care one way or the other about your esteem? The review does make some good points on why that episode completely sucks.

Its just stupid that Q wants to have a child because he thinks that will stop the Q civil war, but he puts all his effort into trying to sleep with Janeway, when there are millions easier ways for him to have a kid and time is a factor. Q may not be good guy but he should care about the fate of his own people, this just makes Q look incompetent, its not a well written episode. Q is only a "pathetic loser" because that episode is badly written.

Except Q wants a child to stop the Q civil war, so him wasting all that time trying to sleep with Janeway, when his people are destroying each other, makes him seem like an idiot. Time is a factor, so him wasting time just to satisfy his ego, when he knows knows how high the stakes are, seems out of character and is just a bad idea in general. Q trying to sleep Janeway just a really bad idea for a story. I don't think Biller gets Q, so he is out of character in his episode.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

See that's the thing. He cares about his people but at the end of the day it's all about the PRIZE. The prize of winning the starship captain's bed and heart and the prize of saving his people. The prize is his ultimate goal.

This is why he is a pathetic loser.

3. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This

4. teacake

It's canon so y'all are going to have to suck it up.

5. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That doesn't really make any difference to me. I know terrible writing when I see it.

Voyager's Q might have been a "pathetic loser", but TNG's Q wasn't. They are different television shows with different artistic visions and different people working on them, so it's worth pointing out these inconsistencies, regardless of canon status.

6. teacake

I love existing in universe. The challenges, the perks..

Hey remember that time Trip died?

7. The Overlord

That's out of character, Q knows when he can indulge in such whims and when he has to get serious to fix real problems. If Q was that childish, he never would tried to help Picard in All Good things or try to teach Picard a lesson about life in Tapestry, he would have just randomly trolled Picard from time to time and never tried to help him. Q has more dimensions then that, but that Voyager episode presented Q more as a caricature, rather then a character. Q wouldn't have wasted time indulging whims when the stakes are that high, he would have gotten serious.

So is a bunch of other badly written episodes of Star Trek, it doesn't make them any less badly written. Q is just a written character in TNG, in Voyager he is a pale intimidation of himself.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I don't care what anyone says, but I loved the episode "Deathwish".

Q's whole MO is that he is terrible and rude with people.

I noticed that the episodes tended to revolved more around the humans in TNG, while his VOY episodes tended to focus on him.

9. teacake

And as Dream pointed out Q did in the end help Janeway and her crew.

But he enjoyed his wooing and his games before it got to that point the same as he did with Picard.

Heck if I was a Q I'd probably do the same. I'd follow you around Overlord and make quips about your minions and try and make you want me until you wished I never existed.

10. The Overlord

Deathwish was good, but Q and the Grey was god awful. If Q only appeared in Deathwish, he would have been handled well in Voyager, its Q and the Grey that really ruined his character.

Except Q was serious at times with Picard, I don't think Q is an completely irresponsible idiot who can't take anything seriously, when stakes were high enough Q rises to the task. If he didn't, he wouldn't have helped Picard in All Good things and Tapestry. The Q destroying themselves with a civil war, there are far bigger stakes then anything before for Q, so him wasting time trying to woo Janeway makes him seem like a childish moron and ignores a lot of the character depth Q has. Q is more then just a trickster, that is the surface, there is more to him then that.

11. delenn13

delenn13 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe he really wanted a friend...

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HbHFuAXrV38[/yt]

with a few benefits...

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I know may go against many fans by saying this, but I hated Q. The concept of the species, the character, everything. Nothing about him made him an interesting character, especially not enough to rehash him throughout VOY.

DS9 saw sense and realised they didn't need to fall back on staples/favourites from TNG to make a great series. But in VOY he was overused and not very effectively. I wanted to focus of the Voyager crew struggling to get home, but instead we had to face a sexist demi-god, a pointless civil war that left the universe pretty much as it was (what would VOY do without that reset button?), and a really annoying super-child (wasn't the pain and agony of Wesley enough?).

The only good thing to come out of the Q was Suzie Plakson's protrayal, mainly because she is just great in Trek.

But then again, that's just all my humble opinion.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Um?

Sex?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Q could have got what he needed from Kathryn's dandruff Brush.

Besides.

"WE'VE ALL BEEN THE SCARECROW!"

Q knew his child, and knew who the mother of his child was, but causality insisted that he had a role to play, and that he couldn't get it on with Q until after Janeway had rejected him, and frankly he couldn't risk ever that she might not reject him if there's a little free will wiggle room in proximity to a Q there is no where else in the universe.

It's called Omniscience.

So not only was he after harvesting DNA more so than making love, Janeway was a fallgirl.

Romeo was after the wrong girl for the first couple acts too.

14. teacake

That's why omniscience is boring. No mystery or subtext. It's not like fate which you can rail against because you are its victim. All the joy is in the smugness of knowing it all.

15. Guy Gardener

That explains Q sure, but it doesn't explain why DeLancy is just like that in most any other role he's ever been given?

16. teacake

Schtick sticks.

17. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

An example: In one episode of Charmed he played an elder. It´s as if watching Q in an elder costume. Either that role was written to resemble Qs mannerism etc on purpose...or he really plays almost every role like that.

18. Guy Gardener

And now we question Elizabeth Denehy's chops who acted against Delancy in a lot of those scenes, Elder vs. Elder.

Shelby (for some reason?) was way more arrogant than any Elder.

19. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think that's correct. Give a woman what she wants and she will take it from you and have sex with other men, big men with muscles who grunt. But hey, you get to be her 'special friend'. :lol:

20. teacake

Hey Nick!!

You're back.