A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Not by herself, but Cersei wasn't the only one who took it that way; that was how pretty much everybody interpreted it, including Stannis himself.

This isn't really disputed by anyone. Robert blamed Stannis for the Targaryens escaping Dragonstone, even though they had left the island long before Stannis' fleet could have been ready to sail.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was bad. But I can't really believe their relationship is as simple as it seems for this series. It's more complex and multi-layered with a history between both brothers, not just Robert being a jerk to Stannis.

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not exactly. I recall the problem was that Renly was still basically a child when the war ended, and with Dragonstone's previous lords obviously vacant, Robert needed someone to manage that estate - someone he could trust. Stannis was needed there - the right man for the right job - but a consequence of giving him that title was letting Renly have the more lucrative and prestigious Storm's End. It could be Robert's attitude towards Stannis insisting on Storm's End got more sour later, but the initial posting was not an insult.

4. CaptainCanada

I don't recall that at all. Dragonstone is a tiny estate with few resources and, historical significance to the Targaryens notwithstanding, of no real importance. Beyond which Stannis, concurrently the Master of Ships, was rarely there anyway, his duties being in the capital city, so he wasn't really managing it day-to-day.

5. Kegg

I was pretty sure Robert didn't intend it as a slight so I went to see if I could find a source. This'll do (sort of):

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/The_Baratheon_Brothers/
    Key bit here:

6. CaptainCanada

Ah, I won't contradict the author then.;)

Reinforces Robert's poor management skills, though.

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Also, Dragonstone was home to the most loyal of the Targ Loyalists IIRC. Someone trustworthy had to go there to make sure they weren't planning something.

8. CaptainCanada

Not really. The Targaryens fled in secret because the castellan and co. were debating turning them over to Robert. And the Island is barely inhabited, anyway - just change the castle garrison.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Robert and Aerys the Mad were the worst things to happen to Westeros. Sure, Rhaegar didn't exactly help matters by running off with Lyanna like he did, but from the sound of it, Rhaegar would have been a hundred times the king that Robert turned out to be.

10. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Jace lacob has impressions of the first 3 episodes!

@televisionary: The first two episodes of S2 #GameofThrones are very, very strong indeed. Some spellbinding, heart-pounding stuff. I've missed this world.

Episode 3:

Another fantastic episode of #GameOfThrones, written by @BryanCogman. Brutal, beautiful, and glittering in its malice. Loved. Saving 204…

Ken tucker review:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20470532_20580368,00.html

11. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Stanis's problem is that he isn't using enough black magic. Aegon had his dragons and he used this for shock and awe.l He rode in like a pimp, incinerated his enemies, and made everyone bow down before him. And that's what Stanis should have been emulating.

Mel gives Stanis a decisive advantage that he should have flaunted from the very beginning instead of trying to keep it a secret. When he decides that he wants Mel to stay away from that assault of King's Landing because he doesn't want to be accused of winning the throne via black magic, he's making an incredibly stupid error. If I were in his position I'd want everyone to know that I won the throne via black magic. People do not fuck with sorcerer-kings.

And once the war is over Stanis would have plenty of time to get Mel to teach him her tricks, become a Lich, and rule Westeros forever.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Mel's black magic is powered from Stannis' own life energy though, if she kept using it she would've killed him eventually.

13. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's one of the reasons why becoming an immortal undead monster should be part of the long-term plan.

14. Kegg

Yep. House Velaryon is one example.

15. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

16. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

17. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Surprised to see him in this coming season.

18. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

IIRC (although it's been a while since I read ACOK), he doesn't show up until the very end of the book / season.

Cheers,
    -CM-

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

HBO has released two new promos, the new faces of season 2 and the destinations of season 2:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flIHsZvC1SU&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww6rFGkU_44&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

20. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member