"James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JacksonArcher, Jan 11, 2011.

1. KB24

KB24 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It might be funny if Cleese was demoted back to 'R' and was training some whipper snapper as Q. Not teen genius Wesley, but maybe his own 30 something son. I don't suppose it would be acceptable to have a man Money Penny and a female Q? Although Tanner is kind of already secretary ish. What about easing into things with a Dr. Warmflash or Penelope Smallbone toss away?

Making Robinson the new 008 on a mission would be fun.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, not really, since there is no such thing as 'R'. That was just a smartass remark that James made. The letter 'Q' has relevance, it stands for Quartermaster.

If Dench can play the same M, I suppose Cleese can return as Q, but I don't think they'd do that. Is Cleese even still acting, or has he retired?

3. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

there are rumors floating around that Miss Moneypenny has been cast, but nothing official has been announced.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

How about Gervais as Q?

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yes but M is supposed to stand something beyond Dench's character's name as well so I doubt they'd care.

M should be C anyway :)

I liked that in DAD Bond called Cleese Quartermaster.

Cleese hasn't retired, he's currently touring with a one man show which is blatently designed to provide the cash to pay off his last wife. I think he'd jump at the chance to get even more money by coming back but I doubt they'd ask him, I don't think he'd fit that well will Craig.

The Toby Jones idea is really growing on me now.

6. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ew. No.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh I don't know, I'd like to see Gervais in there...preferably as the annoying assassin 007 horribly murders in the first ten seconds of the pre title sequence :devil:

8. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ha! Yes!
    :D

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

AFAIK, all of the M's that have appeared in the Bond films have had last names starting with M.

10. KB24

But that's why I think Cleese as R would be funny, because he never really was R. It would be neat to have him back in a demoted or secondary capacity and be called R again, as he was previously the Q. Or he could be R and look at the fourth wall, like Didn't I already do this with the other guy? Just a nice joke about the screwyness of rebooting the 007, but no one else apparently.

Actually, today they could just recreate Desmond Llewellyn if they wanted. They could have had a Moneypenny all along. A little bit of humor from her is what Craig's films have thus far been lacking.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I like Cleese, but he might be a little old if they want to continue the Craig series for more than a few years (and at 71, he's defintiely too old if the writers want him more involved in the action).

12. KB24

13. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

14. KB24

Sorry I can't keep track of which threads have what anymore.

I like the casting if it is indeed true. However, I do worry about a little bit of the racial and subservient imagery. While Jinx was great strides and this seems like such a sweet Moneypenny, I also feel a little hint of Live and Let Die blaxpotiation. Oh! the black girl who sleeps with Bond dies! And now the secretary is going to be the one who can never ever have Bond, the one black girl? Little stereotypical. Does this mean Salmon and Jeffrey Wright will have reduced capacities again, too? This also means no black actor can be Q, because heaven forbid they have two. Like you can't have a female Q as long as there is a female M. Eh.

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sure they'll make up for that by making her SASSY

16. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh for goodness sake!

If she's anything like Samantha Bond's MP then (closing minutes of DAD aside) it means she'll likely be more independant and less likely to fall for James' charms than any regular Bond girl (how many times did 007 have to save Jinx?)

As for Q, frankly I'd rather they made him of Indian/Pakistani descent like Deaver did given that people originating from South Asia actually make up a greater percentage of the UK population.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Coming on late, I like the idea of Naomi Harris as a Bond girl but I don't really see her as Moneypenny, at least not how MP has traditionally been portrayed. Nothing to do with race, it's the fact that Harris is a drop-dead gorgeous woman some years younger than Craig. Moneypenny has usually been a contemporary of Bond's, a handsome but not beautiful, woman of a certain age, who has a crush on 007.

Who could believe Naomi Harris as being hung up on Daniel Craig? She'd have her pick of any man. Fair enough if they want to reboot MP as being more independent and fiesty but would a character like that settle for being someone's secretary to begin with?

19. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

He's James Bond - if you start to question why women instantly fall in love with him, you are either thinking too hard about it or watching the wrong film.

She's the assistant to the head of the secret service not some guy who sells photocopiers. The PAs/secreataries to those types of high powered people often have MBAs, are highly intelligent etc etc - they aren't hired simply because they can type but because they can get things done - something that requires someone who is feisty and independent.

20. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

The Telegraph is saying Rhys Ifans (Who will also be in the Spider-Man reboot) has been cast.